Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #61
redozzy64
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ***Ford to be killed off V8 Supercars circuit at end of 2015***

Could of been a great PR weekend at Bathurst. Showcasing the new FG X, FPR defending champions and showing form on the mountain, and announcing a sponsorship.
It's also a slap in the face when you have competition winners driven around the track by Frosty and Dick.
redozzy64 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #62
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought this quote from the Q&A with Penske last month was a little ominous...

Quote:
I hadn’t talked to any other team. Tim made the trip out there and had some discussions, but at this particular time, with our relationship with Ford and their ability over here, they’ve supported us, we felt that Dick’s relationship with Ford, the tools that he had, it would be the smart thing for us to do this first year would be to run Ford vehicles. That’s pretty much how we came to that decision.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/09/18/...ercars-effort/

If the withdrawal of support rumours are true then I have a feeling the decision was made a while back and was already known by Penske.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #63
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my eyes ford and Volvo are in different public impressions positions. Volvo has a reputation of staid, safe cars with no sporting pretence. (I don't agree) where as Ford has the heritage which has perhaps partially led the brand if not the model as being a bit 'low brow'.
Ford is trying to shake this negative image and Volvo is trying to 'toughen up'
This is the fundamental difference between the brands and their choice to sponsor what they do.
Fords lineup is biased towards those who watch **** TV I guess.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #64
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #65
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Very disappointing if true, another sad publicity for the brand on the eve of what is the biggest race in Australia.
We the fan’s are a dying breed just as the manufacturer is, very sad if it does come to a sudden end.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #66
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope it is not true but I wouldn't say I would stop watching it. It won't be the same though.

Surely there are a large amount of people who buy Ford cars partly because they invest in their favourite motorsport.

I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to quantify, but it must be pretty decent if they have done so for so many years.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #67
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I actually don't know anyone would would utter any relationship between buying a car and racing....for any brand. It made sense previously, talking about the dawn of time, because it did have relevance to what you could buy.

Buyers are smarter than that, in general, and know those cars are nothing like what exists on the street, there is no connection.

A win in the 12 hour IMO is much more useful than any v8sc round...I'm ok if they gove that form of racing a crack or at least support teams who want to run mustangs a bit more.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #68
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's interesting, because ford racing has posted the artist impression of fgx supercar on there Facebook page, with a comment, bring on bathurst 2015.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #69
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford need to come out and clarify what's going on instead of sitting back and receiving the backlash. Pretty pathetic.
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #70
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
Ford need to come out and clarify what's going on instead of sitting back and receiving the backlash. Pretty pathetic.
Hey this is nothing, try being a bombers supporter.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #71
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Lol, I’m both as well.

This silence from Ford is no different to when the cat was let out of the bag with their decision to cease manufacturing the other year.

Their silence is defining and the way they go about it is very disheartening.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #72
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Essendon deserve it though.
If i was a Bombers supporter, i'd probably give Beyond Blue a call.

Last edited by Fab; 10-10-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #73
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
I read that Ford have come out and said they will announce their intentions at the end of the year.

A little backward I think..... Just gives the crappy journo's more negativity to write.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #74
greg017
GFR

Food for thought, Imagine if NSW pulled out of State of origin, would you watch Queensland playing Fiji and NZ? what about 3/4 of the AFL teams pulling out would you watch the rest play each other? In F1 if Mclaren, Ferrari, Williams, and Redbull pulled out would you still watch? I think anyone on this forum knows the answer there, if you did still watch it wont be the same. Even in the 80s there was a presence but looking at this by 2016 no Ford product will be racing in Australias top racing class.
Very sad if true.
greg017 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #75
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Whats to stop a team using a Ford?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #76
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Credibility? Ha...nah not much if you have the dosh.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #77
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've been saying Ford will pull out within a year or two for a while now.

But even if Ford pull out it doesn't mean there might not be Fords on the grid, the problem is though that the teams would have to cough up the money to get a new car certified for racing, which they would be loath to do if another manufacturer is offering factory dollars.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #78
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I've been saying Ford will pull out within a year or two for a while now.

But even if Ford pull out it doesn't mean there might not be Fords on the grid, the problem is though that the teams would have to cough up the money to get a new car certified for racing, which they would be loath to do if another manufacturer is offering factory dollars.
Yeah and that's the question. Does it give Holden the get out of jail card while Ford cop the heat, like with manufacturing.

There obviously won't be much incentive for Holden to pour mountains of cash in when they don't have any real reason to compete.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #79
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Why give a brand credit for nothing it has done? That's kinda what puzzled me about Erebus. Sure they race the GT3 class, but if Merc isn't going to put the $ in (and has no intention to) why race them in V8 SC? I'm guessin that's why they are sniffing around other manufacturers to get a bit more $ back in the bottom line and some factory support.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #80
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford have dropped the ball on this one, if all this information is not correct then speak up!

If it is true then why now, right before the big race? Would have to be the worst possible time for an announcement of this type.

Either way those limp wristed twits that represent Ford need to sharpen their act. That company are happy to drip feed 500 GT-F falcons, and 1600 odd XR8s into the market place and watch their dealers make a killing in the feeding frenzy that follows. Then, if the rumours are true, before the last GT-F roles off the show room floor and prior to the xr8s release, they put the knife into the heart of the market sector by killing off their local motor sport commitments. This does not make sense, and every day they sit back and let the media have a go without standing up for them selves, is just another day of typical ford marketing BS.

I have three fords in my driveway, all cars which I appreciate. This last week I have been seriously considering my next purchase and it was looking like a blue v8 RWD sedan, But if ford themselves have no loyalty to their own products and brand, why should they expect the same loyalty in return.

It does not matter V8SC are not a true representation of the road cars, what they are is a true representation of the brand, and as a ford supporter, just like my football team, I like to see my "team" out there fighting the good fight. If ford can't even bother turning up, why should I?

They seem to want to put all their sales focus onto one sector of the market, being the mobile phone, and reality tv crowd. Surely companies needs to have a diverse range of products across multiple markets. In fords case does that not include large sedans, or motor sport fans? What happens when their present target group are all off chasing the next fad?

Ford do realise that their involvement in Australia is a generational thing? My dad had fords, I have fords, and my son could possibly buy a ford. Some of my mates who had fords when they were kids, their kids have fords. I don't get why ford are so conflicted about supporting something they started? Toyota get generational buyers, gm get generational buyers, ford seem to want to stick it to their long suffering supporters.

Ever since the reported demise of local manufacturing, haven't we all seen the adds from Volvo, Mercedes, Nissan, and BMW on TV. All espousing the virtues of their big and or sporty sedans. Seems every one wants a bit of the Australian sedan market, except the company that got the race going in the first instance.

Ford don't seem to have any comprehension, or care, of what they created in this country. Just because ford in the states couldn't make a sedan to save their lives does not mean ford Australia couldn't. They're killing the ute, they're killing the falcon, the falcon wagon was a huge loss IMO.

Front wheel drive sedans, big "trucks", and yank "sports cars" without badges. Good one ford. Way to tap into the Aussie market..... Not.

As you may tell, I'm devastated by this news. If it's fords intention to turn me into a "reformed smoker" then they are going about it the right way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #81
greg017
GFR

Thinking about it I feel its simple, you support who support you. No Fords in aussie racing I wont buy a new Ford, I wont use ford servicing or genuine ford parts. If 10,000 Ford supporters who would have spent $1000 in 2 year on services and parts dont, that's $10,000,000 the company lost. I think there is more than 10,000 ford fans around.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #82
redozzy64
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petition on Speedcafe website

Link

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/10/11/...sign-petition/
redozzy64 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #83
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey.

Can someone remind me, during last years Bathurst didnt Ford say they were gonna stick around until the end of 2015 or 2016 in V8 Supercars?

Regardless, I think the handling of this has been real poor by Ford, similar to their advertising campaigns for the Falcons over many years.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #84
greg017
GFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Hey.

Can someone remind me, during last years Bathurst didnt Ford say they were gonna stick around until the end of 2015 or 2016 in V8 Supercars?

Regardless, I think the handling of this has been real poor by Ford, similar to their advertising campaigns for the Falcons over many years.
Or is it??? Remember how much exposure holden got when they said they would stay? Maybe a day on tv, Ford could get a few days out of this one, maybe we should just have faith......
Old 11-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #85
Blueford260

We all need to jump on Speedcafe and sign that petition and voice our opinions and threats to not support the Ford brand in new car sales if they pull funding.

If the $60 million in advertising budget is true than supporting 2 teams would be about 5% of their budget for a year long campaign seen by millions, seems cheap advertising to me.
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #86
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Signed the petition.

IMO both V8 Supercars and Ford have to figure out how to leverage motorsport activities to their fullest.

How about Ford motorsport event and drive days for XR, FPV, ST, Mustang owners? Just because the COTF doesn't represent much (if any) of the road going range doesn't make it any less exciting, and it doesn't mean the teams/drivers can't engage with ford fans. Imagine Frosty, Mostert, Reynolds, Owen, and other drivers contracted for the year (and even the man Ambrose) hanging out with Ford buyers and extolling the virtues of each performance model.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #87
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Unless people start buying their cars I dont think Ford are going to care how many sign a petition
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #88
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ford have made a financially based decision to cease support for a team in a category they will no longer be building vehicles in, where's the problem.

I don't get the issue, it is the correct decision from a business perspective.

Toyota, Mazda and Hyundai go ok without V8sc representation.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #89
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lots of TV ads for the new XR8/Ranger/Territory today.....?

Ford are already gone.

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #90
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FPR are still in negotiations, Ford haven't announced anything and yet everyone's having a hissy fit because of some piece of crap ****** that wrote an article.
Even the boss of V8Supercars is still talking to Ford which was confirmed on Foxsports.
2 users like this post: