Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which TWO of the following features would you include in the FG2 XR6T?
Glass Roof/Moon Roof 41 28.28%
MyFord ICC 62 42.76%
Bonnet Vents 60 41.38%
Lower Grill Insert 19 13.10%
Bodykit 32 22.07%
Restyled Badges 16 11.03%
Bonnet Press Addition/Shape 32 22.07%
Unique "hero" Colour(s) 29 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default *AFF Survey* - Round 2 - FG2 XR6T Strategy

Thankyou all for your input into the first thread regarding my research. For those who maybe have missed it you can view the results to date here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...09#post3341809

Again, before continuing please read the thread below and understand that this thread is part of my final year project and part of my thesis.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11308122

This thread will be an extension of the last.

Lets say that you are the brand manager for the up and coming XR6T (FG2), some research was conducted and the following results have been shown to you.

From these results it is clear to you that the majority of consumers are asking for the difference in features/visuals to be extended with regards to the XR6 (na) and XR6T.

Ford of Australia has given you the go ahead to choose ONLY TWO of the following means in which to meet the new demands shown through the research. More changes may happen at a later date, the cost of implementation is not your concern, you are simply trying to expand on what is already a strong product; improving the breed if you will.

Thing to keep in mind;
  • These changes effect the XR6T only, the rest of the (Ford) range is someone elses portfolio (potential adoption for other models at a later date)
  • Any benefits that aid performance or durability of the XR6T have the possibility of flowing onto other I6T variants
  • Any styling changes will be within the current Ford design brief (no Autobarn/Supercheap/HSV cues here)
  • In addition to the above any changes to styling are to be keep subtle and low key

An outline of the options are below.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 13-09-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

1. Glass/moon roof - a contemporary sunroof larger than ones previously seen on Falcons in Australia

2. MyFord - a touch screen interface that allows the user to view/change settings within the car and the ICC, access GPS, phone link, media player. For more info click on the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWYbxtpiP44

3. Bonnet Ventilation - Purely for extracting heat from underneath the bonnet. Would be functional and styled to match the profile of the FG shape. An analogy would include the EF/EL XR series. The aim is extraction not induction. Pics of examples here:

4. Lower grill insert - A different styled grill to be unique to the XR6T

5. Body kit - Again styled to suit the FG lines and to be unique but using the XR6 na as a base

6. Restyled Badges - "turbo" on the rear to remain but sides to be altered

7. Bonnet Press/Shape - an extra rise or change in profile[/B]

8. Unique Colour(s) - a "hero" colour unique for the XR6T
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Raptor; 13-09-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: fix image link (red EF/L)
Old 13-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If you have any questions or need clarification please ask, and feel free to discuss why you chose your options.

For those whom voted that there is no need to change please understand that this does not mean that your opinion was not valid. I am still very interested in what out of the above you might chose if you were the manager and you had to make a call based on the information presented to you.

While the majority did ask for differentiation, a large number also believe that the status quo is acceptable. Perhaps this should be considered when choosing your path.

Thanks again.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 13-09-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 13-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

vents skirts and ICC and for the love of all that is holy improve rear grip through chassis tweaks or wider rubber, why have a 1,000 hp if you can only get 10% of it to the ground - chassis tweaks or wider rear boots could be put on the GTs or other V8 variants, there has been call for wider rears since the introduction of the BA, I think its time for Ford to listen

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
glavas

i dont like any of those options so im not voting sorry. what the xr6t needs is

.more boost
.better tune
.frount mount intercooler
.bigger brakes
.better seats
.fix the steering wheel height
.8 way seat function
.better audio sound
.widder rears
.better leather

it dosent need to look diffrent you dont buy one so people can be like cool thats a xr6t not a xr6 who cares.there the same bloody car one just has a turbo.

Last edited by glavas; 13-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Unique bonnet pressing and vents for mine thanks.

The glass roof and My_Ford ICC belong across the entire range.

Badges/bodykits/grill inserts and unique colours don't do it for me - I can't be bought with mere 'trinkets'
Old 13-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

BOSS315, just for clarification do you believe that the vents on a EF/EL XR6/8 are "rice", or even the ones on say the new M3 like below? That would be there intent, not something like whats on a WRX et al (even though they are primarily for induction).

As above, any vents/styling would flow with the original and be deliberately keep subtle as can be as its evident from round 1 that the overall current design is liked.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas

.more boost
.better tune
.bigger brakes
.better seats
F6
Quote:
I don't know about the FG, but I'm 6'5 and fit in my BA fine.
Quote:
.8 way seat function
Again, don't know about FG but fit in mine fine. However, features like this I would not be against.
Quote:
.better audio sound
.widder rears
Agree. Atleast make a Bose audio system or similar an option for those that what g/q sound, but don't really want aftermarket equipment.

Quote:
it dosent need to look diffrent you dont buy one so people can be like cool thats a xr6t not a xr6 who cares.
I think a visual difference would not go astray. Why do people purchase an XR6 over a Futura/G6? I doubt for the majority it is only due to slightly stiffer suspension. I think it's because the XR6 has the bodykit, the wheels, the presence.
Having a visually represented difference between n/a and T I think would be a good thing, but only a few details, not an entire new bodykit design.
And I think some people would buy a car to be noticed. Why do some people buy an HSV, when they could get an SSv, which could be optioned up and modified to be better for the same price. Granted not everyone is that vain.

As for the opening question. I think the only thing needed to differentiate the XRT is a different front air dam design. Something like the F6, but different. Also small 'Turbo' badges on the side skirt or below the side blinker on the side strip like some people have added (on B-Series atleast). A different wheel design might be on the cards to, that aren't available on an XR6 n/a or XR8. Also bonnet vents, but small and subtle like that M3.

A moon roof would be a great addition to the whole range, or atleast G6E and XR up. However I don't see this happening any time soon.
Also a touchscreen ICC w/GPS, etc, would be a great addition to all the upper spec cars as an option, like the moon roof.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
BOSS315, just for clarification do you believe that the vents on a EF/EL XR6/8 are "rice", or even the ones on say the new M3 like below? That would be there intent, not something like whats on a WRX et al (even though they are primarily for induction).

As above, any vents/styling would flow with the original and be deliberately keep subtle as can be as its evident from round 1 that the overall current design is liked.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Bonnet Vents I just think you’re wasting your vote when compared with some of the other options on the table. The MyFord ICC and Sunroof options have the ability to transform the interior of the car making it more desirable for the owner. Vents which you probably cant even see from the drivers seat are for pedestrians to comment on as you drive by. An XR6T on 19’s is already a stunner, what’s a couple of vents going to achieve?
Old 13-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

.more boost
.better tune
.bigger brakes
.better seats
.8 way seat function
.better audio sound
.better leather

FPV have listened, its called the "F6".....

Old 13-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Don’t get me wrong, I like Bonnet Vents I just think you’re wasting your vote when compared with some of the other options on the table. The MyFord ICC and Sunroof options have the ability to transform the interior of the car making it more desirable for the owner. Vents which you probably cant even see from the drivers seat are for pedestrians to comment on as you drive by. An XR6T on 19’s is already a stunner, what’s a couple of vents going to achieve?
Yeap fair call, every option has its positives and negatives.

In regards to how vents would help the XR6T, in no particular order (aside from aesthetics, thats personal opinion):

1. Increase durability of components through lower in underhood temps
2. Increased performance through the increased efficiency of the cooling pack
3. Potential of lowering the fuel consumption (depending on aero) as the engine/cooling is more efficient during the same conditions (lower boost pressure = engine doing less work for the same gain)

Remember the vents provide functionality, not just appearance. Sorry if I was not clear about the functionality from the beginning.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MyFord needs to become a feature on all Ford vehicles, not just the XR6 Turbo IMHO. That and Ford SYNC needs to become a reality, at least as an option. The technology Ford US are using in their cars is amazing, and makes a much more intuitive environment.

My vote goes for a restyled body kit and hero colours exclusive to the XR6 Turbo and XR8 (if it's continued?), keeping the premium performance Ford models different. Not overly expensive (even grey inserts like on the BF MKIII would make the car stand out compared to the XR6) and still making the car different.
Old 13-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not sure i subscribe to the theory that features and benefits should necessarily be directly linked to the power output of the engine...
Many features should be avaliable based on the Luxury level model spec of the vehicle, irrespective of the engine its fitted with..
XR features should be consistant across the board from XR6 to XR8...

Old 13-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Anyone know roughly what the cost difference is between the Monochrome and Colour IIC?

Also possibly how much the turbo and intercooler etc would cost?

I agree with 4vman to an extent, however I would also suggest that the price and specifications of a model should be dependent upon the production and development costs of that unit/car.

I'm just curious if the XR6T is actually $8,000 more car then the xr6 (or at least that the RRP scales inline with the cost).
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im not sure i subscribe to the theory that features and benefits should necessarily be directly linked to the power output of the engine...
Many features should be avaliable based on the Luxury level model spec of the vehicle, irrespective of the engine its fitted with..
XR features should be consistant across the board from XR6 to XR8...
I agree, however Ford are their own worst enemies with the 'value' XR6 now. The XR range used to be special, so maybe the current XR6 could become Falcon S, and another XR6 could appear, with a higher engine output, and make it exactly like an XR6T, without the Turbo. This includes wheels and other driveline items like differentials.

The XR6T strategy to date has worked. I was worried that the BA XR6T would go the way of the Supercharged Commodore. The bloody thing went on to sell itself, and not only that, create a cult following, and have FPV make a hero model, with few changes to the basic package. With a competitive V8 strategy moving into 2011, the pressure will be taken off the Turbo models, especially when the Crate Coyote arrives next year. I think it would even be questionable if the bonnet bulge survives on the XR8 next year, which is when we may need to talk about differentiation.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i guess bonnet vents could be fitted in a functional non hsv way(does`nt look over the top) but i`m not really fussed, there`s other stuff i would be interested in before those, the my ford system looks pretty good option, one option not listed power everything seats, i would consider those for sure .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #17
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would absolutely like restyled badges, restyled as in T U R B O on the sides of the car and not just the back. If that doesn't count as restyled badges then some nicely integrated bonnet vents wouldn't go astray.
Old 14-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #18
AussieAV

Voted for Glass Roof and MyFord ICC. Would like the vents too, but my main concern would be to provide the Turbo driver with some enhancements over the N/A that they can enjoy while driving day to day in traffic. They would obviously buy the turbo primarily to enjoy the power, but would only really get a chance to exploit it on rare occasions. They need something that makes them enjoy the model over and above the N/A in normal daily driving.

Still think there should have been more driver feature options such as drivers seat from the G6E and auto dipping/memory mirrors offered in the options.
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Voted MYFord ICC & inclusion of bonnet vents. The inclusion of vents would be a practical as well as a subtle way of making a difference between the two XR6 variants.

Bonnet bulge is the first clear sign that indicates a model is running a V8 - why not a subtle vent for the XR6T that would give this model an edge.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I liked the ED/EF/EL/AU having a completely different and unmistakable look between the GLi and Futura VS XR range...

The BA/BF/FG aren't 'that' different looking to the entry level cars anymore...
Yeah ok - they are different - but not unmistakable...

So my vote went Vents and Hero colours...

If I was to buy an XR again.... (which is very doubtful)... It would need to be special... (but if that was the case - i'd be lookin at FPV anyway)
Old 14-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Warning To All

The debate on model variants is in another thread, read the 1st post and reply in this thread based on the questions being asked in the 1st post only, if you cant do this and still post something else I will lock you out of this Forum.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
BFZF8

Vents and badges get my vote. It doesn't make sense for the upgraded ICC and glass roof to be limited to the XR6T. Make the owner feel special but not at the expense of V8/NA 6cyl owners.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

A different bonnet press that isn't over the top would be my number one pick. Although one thing that I wish made the list is seats, optional recaros or something. My second pick was myFord, although it would have to be standard on the rest of the range to be viable.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
XR features should be consistent across the board from XR6 to XR8...
so you are ok with people having xr6es with bonnet bulges then, that door you want swings both ways, its not always xr8 having everything xr6 does and something extra...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #25
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
so you are ok with people having xr6es with bonnet bulges then, that door you want swings both ways, its not always xr8 having everything xr6 does and something extra...
I think he meant features to mean things like MyFord ICC and moon roofs, and all other interior ;uxury items etc, Not bonnent design. And I agree with that, everything available in XR6 should be available in XRT and 8, in terms of options, features, colour combos, blah blah.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thankyou very much for everyones input so far, I will gather results on monday the 20th at noon so if you have not voted then you still have a few more days.

Cheers
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #27
irlewy86
Meep Meep

It was a tough chose between those options. However anything that keeps the heat down in a turbo is a worthwhile addition. My Ford ICC should be brought in somewhere in the rang to keep Ford up with its rivals (not just in the red corner either).

As tempting as a glass roof is I just see it as being to much of a pain in summer to be worthwhile.
Old 16-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
Nobody said anything about what people do to modify their cars....
I cant see how Ford can control that, nor its relevance to the topic.

The "bonnet bulge" was not given to the XR8 as a feature, it was a functional part to clear the engine...

Last edited by 4Vman; 16-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #29
Jimmyd
Banned

Body kit and Bonnet vents for me - XRs need to be better differentiated visually across the range, the cleasr delineation was lost with the move away from the quad headlamps back in 2003 with the BA.

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ok again thanks for the feedback guys, I took the results as of the 20th.

As I said I would inform you of what my project was about. I didn't want to reveal this at the start as it may have swayed peoples opinions and I wanted both threads to flow from each other and really have no intervention from myself.

My project is about the installation of a bonnet ventilation system for the XR6T. So as far as exterior modifications go this was clearly the most preferred option. I was quite surprised with the feedback about the ICC (even though it has no effect on my project). This market research was supplementary to my report and I thankyou all for yor participation.

The last stage now is hopefully some skilled members can assist me in some photo shops. There are some wonderfully talented people on this site and I will start those threads this afternoon in the Photoshop and Render Forum. My graphics skills extend to MS Paint....ok with CAD though!

Cheers

• 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 28-09-2010 at 01:12 PM.