Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Your opinion on the current XR6 and XR6T relationship
I am happy with the strategy Ford has employed to date 74 37.37%
I would prefer the XR6T to be futher differentiated 118 59.60%
Other, please explain 6 3.03%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #61
AussieAV

Sorry Flappist, started typing my reply before yours posted. Took a while as I had to attend to a few distractions. Know I went over a few of the same points.
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #62
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
There is plenty of differentiation between the T and non T. One goes like stink, the other doesn't.

I'd rather no boy-racer bits, just as it is now. A discrete little TURBO badge is more than enough.

There is nothing "special" about the T. Its got a turbo slapped on. Hardly worth letting the whole world know.
hm... go drive a NA xr6 then an XR6T then a modded xr6 and a modded xr6t then say "its just got a turbo slapped on"

"just slapping that turbo on" completely changes the characteristics of the car, acceleration rates and torque curves. Please don't dismiss the turbo as just a Xr6 with a turbo slapped on, its more than that...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #63
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
hm... go drive a NA xr6 then an XR6T then a modded xr6 and a modded xr6t then say "its just got a turbo slapped on"

"just slapping that turbo on" completely changes the characteristics of the car, acceleration rates and torque curves. Please don't dismiss the turbo as just a Xr6 with a turbo slapped on, its more than that...
Wot tha?

An XR6T is EXACTLY an XR6 with a turbo fitted to the engine.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #64
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wot tha?

An XR6T is EXACTLY an XR6 with a turbo fitted to the engine.
when you compare the nuts and bolts parts yes, but the way it changes the car makes it a different car, this is what I am trying (albeit poorly) to express, sorry

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
when you compare the nuts and bolts parts yes, but the way it changes the car makes it a different car, this is what I am trying (albeit poorly) to express, sorry
Fair enough, it does change the character completely.
Old 13-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #66
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:

These days with the absence of noticable turbo lag, the turbo just feels like a stronger N/A. I went from an FG N/A XR6 to an FG turbo and to be honest the first time I ever drove an FG turbo I was underwhelmed, they don't handle as well as the N/As but they are deceptively quick. The N/A also has more balls off the line.

They are both great cars, I don't see why the turbo version needs to be tarted up. If people want to make the car more distinctive (read: fully hectic) just cut out the lower grille like I did, now everyone gets a face full of intercooler.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #67
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Again, many thanks for all that took time to respond. I think it might be worth keeping the thread open if anyone wants to discuss this at a later date but I will take the results from here and create another thread shortly.

Cheers
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #68
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
These days with the absence of noticable turbo lag, the turbo just feels like a stronger N/A. I went from an FG N/A XR6 to an FG turbo and to be honest the first time I ever drove an FG turbo I was underwhelmed, they don't handle as well as the N/As but they are deceptively quick. The N/A also has more balls off the line.

They are both great cars, I don't see why the turbo version needs to be tarted up. If people want to make the car more distinctive (read: fully hectic) just cut out the lower grille like I did, now everyone gets a face full of intercooler.
At the risk of upsetting a few i agree.. After driving both and now owning a N/A FG XR6 the XR6T just feels like a more powerful version of exactly the same car from 2500 rpm onwards...
In FG form the NA XR6 is a deceptively quick car for what it is, especially off the line.

Leave the current scheme the same, the engine alone is enough of a difference.

Old 13-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #69
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
At the risk of upsetting a few......
What you?????
Old 13-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #70
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What you?????
LOL, pot, kettle..?!

I see Dallas has lifted the "embargo" too... LOL

Old 13-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #71
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The turbo may be the difference, so is the $10k price tag...
Strapp Ford gave me a n/a FG XR6 to drive for 4 days last week, nice car to drive but lacks the real punch of what you get with the turbo and this one had a 5 speed auto cant compare it to the ZF, my wife liked the car but not the color we had Dash (Green).
For the purpose of under bonnet heat with the turbo model a bonnet change with vents and or scoop would be nice...
Territory scoop looks the goods, this one is ADR compliant, I had one on my BF and will be fitting one this weekend to my FG..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #72
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I love the idea of that scoop, purely for cooling the motor - sometimes, after driving spiritedly, when I turn off the car (even after letting it idle for a few minutes) the fan comes on to cool it down, it gets mighty hot in there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #73
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats one good example of what many people have done, and supporting AFF members is great too. Using the BA XR8 hood with a vent at the rear is pretty popular, I must say my personal preference would be for these from HO;

If they could do that without the bulge it would look really nice IMO, with is ok too I guess.

The next round is here for those who would like to continue their thoughts to the options.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11308478
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post