Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Politicians' salaries

My wifes old man was arguing that polies deserve the wages they get. I reckon its too much like the private sector. I know of people who do next to nothing, drink themselves stupid every day from lunchtime out, and they work in the back rooms of some canberra office getting $180,000 per year plus the longest list of extras like travel allowance, meals allowance, town cars & taxis, the list goes on. These two I am talking about are just taking the p-ss and there is thousands of them. Then there is the thousands of people who don't actually go to work, but because of a contract or clause, they are still on full wages totalling tens of millions a year. The last 20 years has seen every profitable utility sold to any bidder without any guidelines to protect the end user. They operate the state like a private business, doing what they want to raise money so they can build a bridge or get their name on an opening. When do we demand transparency? When is enough enough?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Politicians salary's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
When is enough enough?
When their pay is reviewed by an *independent* tribunal.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Hmmm, sure there are issues there but I have bigger problems with CEO/CFO salaries and bonuses being stupid multiples of their employees. Maybe set a cap on that of maybe 10:1.

Yes, It's time Pollies and everyone else started paying for their own meal times. Business lunches my ****, it's a tax rort if private or nose in the trough of the public purse if public.

Let's see if they'll spend their own money so freely.

Old 30-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Hmmm, sure there are issues there but I have bigger problems with CEO/CFO salaries and bonuses being stupid multiples of their employees. Maybe set a cap on that of maybe 10:1.
There are plenty of CEOs that are actually worth the money though - they drive the company in the right direction and make the shareholders happy by giving them great returns on their investment.

By comparison, our politicians rarely fulfill their grand promises yet they live like kings.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Politics competes with the private sector to attract the best candidates. Pay the politicians less and they'll go into the private sector. The government can't regulate executive salaries of private companies. Good luck to them if they ever tried.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
comfortablynumb

Quote:

Yes, It's time Pollies and everyone else started paying for their own meal times. Business lunches my ****, it's a tax rort if private or nose in the trough of the public purse if public.

Let's see if they'll spend their own money so freely.

Yup.

They can pay up front themselves and then claim it back at tax time. Like the rest of us.....
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should be another vote when they vacate in order to get their pension/benefits.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having spent 3 1/2 years up at Parliament House I reckon they and their staff don't get paid nearly enough. The hours spent there are ludicrous and then there's the travel. Ministers live are planed in sub hourly segments months in advance, not a life style for any sane person
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
My wifes old man was arguing that polies deserve the wages they get. I reckon its too much like the private sector. I know of people who do next to nothing, drink themselves stupid every day from lunchtime out, and they work in the back rooms of some canberra office getting $180,000 per year plus the longest list of extras like travel allowance, meals allowance, town cars & taxis, the list goes on. These two I am talking about are just taking the p-ss and there is thousands of them. Then there is the thousands of people who don't actually go to work, but because of a contract or clause, they are still on full wages totalling tens of millions a year. The last 20 years has seen every profitable utility sold to any bidder without any guidelines to protect the end user. They operate the state like a private business, doing what they want to raise money so they can build a bridge or get their name on an opening. When do we demand transparency? When is enough enough?
Are you talking about politicians or public servants. As the latter, I'm insulted, and as far as the former goes, they work fairly hard for their salaries that range from $180k to $400k. Certainly harder than most CEOs that get millions.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

I'm jealous, wish I was on the gravy train!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Lets see if they are even eligible (section 44, being a Aussie citizen) to receive a serving politicians wage first lol..

The honorable federal pollies do work massive hours so they do deserve a wage commensurate with the pressure & expectations of a nation on their backs everyday.

But more increases in pollie wages in this age of austerity & stagnant wage growth is a bad look i reckon, dosent pass the pub test for me.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #12
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont't believe they get over paid for what they do (if they actually do it that is) most middle managers in building companies I work for are paid more than a federal MP.

MP needs to be away from family, work long hours, weekends, probably longer hours than most people.

What I dont agree with is being paid beyond their term in office, travel for life etc.. but while in office they are paid bugger all really.

IMO
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I dont't believe they get over paid for what they do (if they actually do it that is) most middle managers in building companies I work for are paid more than a federal MP.

MP needs to be away from family, work long hours, weekends, probably longer hours than most people.

What I dont agree with is being paid beyond their term in office, travel for life etc.. but while in office they are paid bugger all really.

IMO
Agree with most of what you say but I think the perks that go with their salaries should be reviewed, honestly some are way over the top with the remuneration they receive is ridiculous beyond belief.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #14
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good decisions, good leadership and good management of our country on our behalf can yield great benefits for all Australians and over time there have been good politicians leading the country well on both sides of the fence at bot federal and state level. These teams of people earned their remuneration. The people benefitted from good social services, a strong balanced economy and a sense of well-being bought on by the governments leadership.
At other times poor leaders have been made to look good by a booming economy where it was hard to fail, but perhaps we suffer a bit today because of their decisions.
I dont begrudge a good remuneration package to attract the right people, because I believe the right people will make the right decisions. I do have issues with accountability and onward benefits for those that failed to lead and make a positive contribution to all.
For some reason the recent generation of politicians of most flavours are not fulfilling the ideas, leadership or management criteria.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I meant no offence if any was taken. I just tire of hearing about the constant abuse of positions, millions of dollars wasted in deals that should never have been contemplated in the first place and just general incompetence. It seems the current NSW government couldn't wait to sell One Billion dollars worth of assets and commit to massive projects that always have huge blowouts in costs which the govt has to pay for because they didn't have the right people drawing up the contracts & establishing timelines etc. Look at the NSW desalination plant, the govt just payed out $535 million to keep it inoperable. They will continue to do so for the next 50 years because a contract signed by the govt guarantees payment annually even if it never produces a drop. This is but one of thousands of botched contracts hastily drawn up & agreed to, clearly by people out of their depth, who are now, been paid the same or higher wages than their professional opposites working in the private sector. I am glad I'm not a young'n as I reckon its going to continue the same way.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have no issue with CEO salaries when their companies are doing well.
It's pathetic when CEO's are slashing employee wages and getting rid of people because the business is "broke", but somehow the CEO is still earning as much as ever which is usually in the millions per year.

There is one particular company I know where the CEO got a 34% pay increase in one year while at the same time also saying that they can't afford a 4% increase for the regular employees working in one of the most profitable parts of the company.

I found out the local Mayor has a base salary of about 100k which isn't too bad. I know they get all the other allowances, but it seams at the federal and state level politicians are earning hundreds of thousands a year for doing **** all.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #17
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about public servants who are supposed to be running public utilities efficiently?

Eg. Power Stations - We're one of the largest producers of coal in the world, export it for next to nothing, yet pay premium prices for it to keep us cold/warm.

Eg 2. In the 20th century, public servants could not only create new railway lines, but also manage them effectively. All for a modest salary.
Now it takes a Prime-Minister's salary just to run them inefficiently.

What gives?
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #18
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Eg. Power Stations - We're one of the largest producers of coal in the world, export it for next to nothing, yet pay premium prices for it to keep us cold/warm.
They seem to be operating under assumption that its better to get money for it now while people are still using it ... ignoring the fact that we're still going to need coal to make pretty much anything that's got a lot of of carbon (eg. plastic).
Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #19
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Not directly related to politicians salaries but I am sure carbon in plastics comes from natural gas. Caustic soda and chlorine comes from salt to form PVC.

Coal / coke will be required in steelmaking .......

Cheers,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #20
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Right now, yes, natural gas and oil. But in the future they will need to move over to coal. There are already some pilot plants exploring this.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:28 AM   #21
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Salaries and especially pensions needs to be reviewed

Funny we elect them to do good but they take advantage like in regards to wages and pensions yet rip the hearts out of less fortunate

Sent from ASUS ZE551ML ^_^ using Tapatalk
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #22
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Single reason alternative energy is continually slammed as too hard is this:
The networks for the powerful few to take the lions share of the profits is already in place. Don't forget we own no utilities anymore but that's ok because Malcom had a chat to the Power Brokers who promised that we will all get a letter explaining how they structure the electricity charges. Great result that, I can use the letter to start the fire in the backyard that I will need to cook on and heat water
Old 05-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #23
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wages , may be , perks wroughts, super and all the other crap that they milk from us absolutely including free travel and office, staffing etc for former prime misters NO !!!!
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #24
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Politicians are all liars and thieves. Every working Australian past and present has been contributing 7.5% of their gross wage into the Pension Fund since the late 1940's .The pollies started changing the rules regarding access to our own money in the 70's by stealing from retires who had there own super. This eventually led to our pension fund being placed in general revenue. All pensioners should be receiving at least double what they are now .Instead we have these lyers telling (and convincing)the younger generation that pensioners are a burden and everybody should work longer.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #25
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Politicians are all liars and thieves. Every working Australian past and present has been contributing 7.5% of their gross wage into the Pension Fund since the late 1940's .The pollies started changing the rules regarding access to our own money in the 70's by stealing from retires who had there own super. This eventually led to our pension fund being placed in general revenue. All pensioners should be receiving at least double what they are now .Instead we have these lyers telling (and convincing)the younger generation that pensioners are a burden and everybody should work longer.
Perhaps it turned out to be insufficient?
These days, people still contribute a good chunk of their wages as tax (which is used for many things, including funding the dole/welfare/pension payments for others) AS WELL as having 9.5% of their own salary withheld each year to be put into a superannuation account.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #26
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
These days, people still contribute a good chunk of their wages as tax (which is used for many things, including funding the dole/welfare/pension payments for others) AS WELL as having 9.5% of their own salary withheld each year to be put into a superannuation account.
My wife showed me the figures around the cost of welfare on the tax payer and it is actually one of the smaller outgoings from the state coffers. Over blown govt budgets, way too many staff doing way too little getting paid way too much with way too many perks. Yes, I am way over the continual incompetence and the self entitlement shown by public servants.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #27
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Politicians earn a fraction of what they would in the private market. The generous allowances and superannuation and pensions was to compensate them for their sacrifice.

Now, they are not lifetime politicians but use a period of time in politics to leverage opportunities outside politics.

I would prefer much more transparency. In addition to their salary, they receive many benefits, including an exemption from capital gains on some investment property.

They should be paid an overall salary and funds their lifestyle choices from this.
They should be banned from advantaging family members in the allowances they receive.
Their benefits after they leave should be means tested.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #28
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Having spent 3 1/2 years up at Parliament House I reckon they and their staff don't get paid nearly enough. The hours spent there are ludicrous and then there's the travel. Ministers live are planed in sub hourly segments months in advance, not a life style for any sane person
I agree with this having worked for a backbencher. It also costs them a lot going to functions and raising party funds to be a politician.

The real question is are we getting value for money. As JP said if they perform then its all good.

The problem is that we are attracting lifers on all sides with little real life experience. Whether being a union organiser or IPA'r or student activist the room for people with real life experience is limited.

Overwhelmingly, lawyers are massively over represented in the Parliament. Lawyers never create anything much of value and generally take a sledgehammer approach to small problems. Just pick any area of law and you will be astounded by how many statute laws there are plus delegated legislation.

I was interested to see how Ricky Muir would go as the accidental politician. Didn't do all that badly I preferred him to say a Xenophone or Wilkey.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #29
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
NO apparently it was plenty similar to the british pension system. The point being it IS our money NOT general revinue
Old 07-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #30
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Politicians' salaries

I want the same pension plan given to our federal politicians.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: