Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
pmacc

Default Visting Detroit

Have any members here been to Detroit and have recommendations on any of the motor exhibits/museums that i should see?

on my current itinerary is the

The Henry Ford (Greenfield Village)
Ford Piquette Avenue Plant
GM Ren Centre (depending on the renos being finished)
Detroit Historical Museum

Also interested in roaming around the old Packard plant but not sure how safe it is to roam the streets of greater Detroit, any advice form our American members would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Visting Detroit

You have a pretty good list.

There are a few more in this documentl

http://www.lear.com/blog/2015/01/a-c...he-motor-city/

Stay in the better parts of town.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The places I'd like to see are as follows:

The Packard Plant
Michigan Central Station

Why? Because I find it difficult to understand how a once great industrial city could devolve into what it is today.

Just be careful and look at this link:

https://spotcrime.com/mi/detroit

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
pmacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
The places I'd like to see are as follows:

The Packard Plant
Michigan Central Station

Why? Because I find it difficult to understand how a once great industrial city could devolve into what it is today.

Just be careful and look at this link:

https://spotcrime.com/mi/detroit
Michigan Central was on my list but it has new owners that are re fitting all the windows and doing some resto work so doubt ill be able to see much of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy
You have a pretty good list.

There are a few more in this documentl

http://www.lear.com/blog/2015/01/a-c...he-motor-city/

Stay in the better parts of town.
Thanks for that list
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I have visited the Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn plant and Greenfield Village...did it all in a very rushed day, no time for lunch even.
It is very interesting, especially to a Ford/Car fan...but it has lots of non car stuff as well, anything American historical really, maybe take 2 days if you have time.

GM Ren Cen is interesting but is really only a new car display area in the bottom, but you can talk to salesman and even buy a car there if you want.
This building was ironically built by Henry Ford II and others, you may recognise it from old Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers movies.

I wont lie, Detroit had more bums than the average US city so I was a bit nervous walking around by myself, they usually only ask for a buck or a smoke but it annoys you after a while. There is a monorail loop thing for the main area, only cost a dollar I think.
But really the whole CBD is half empty, except for the Ren Cen and Sports arena bit it is like a ghost town. The empty dilapidated skyscrapers have a deserted charm of bygone riches but hang around one for too long and a "local" will hassle you.

Most hotels have a reputable cabbie on call who wont rip you off, I was advised not to walk anywhere...but did get the cab to Ford...it is not close to the city.

I caught a Greyhound bus to Detroit itself and it had a bulletproof door for the driver and you had to go thru metal detectors to board so that tells you something.

Hopefully thing have improved...put up some photos when you get there.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In no particular order

If you've got a car, it'd be worth doing Grosse point/Lake St Clair - the change in wealth over several hundred metres is (was) astounding. You won't get to Ford Jnr's house- gated with security box.

Non car related but college ice hockey is cheap and worth a look if you have time, or head out for college football (ann arbor)

Woodward avenue - Friday nights use to be car night, talk nice and viper owners etc might take you for a quick spin. (look up Woodward dream cruise). GM named a Corvette Test procedure after what goes on there...

On Woodward ave you should be able to find a gun range that'll hire hand guns for target practice if you're so inclined, for that full US of A experience. ( I did, thought it was over rated, particularly the plastic Glocks, but the 50 cal desert eagle is worthy of a mention..)

I'll never forget the dualling piano bar in royal oak

LaBatts Blue for a decent beer (it's Canadian- you're close to the border so it's ok)

Up the I-75 a little has Bass Pro outdoors. I'm not a shopping guy, but bloody hell....
Or if in other states try Cabela's. The term Economies of scale will become apparently obvious.

On Woodward ave you should be able to find a gun range that'll hire hand guns for target practice if you're so inclined, for that full US of A experience. ( I did, thought it was over rated, particularly the plastic Glocks, but the 50 cal desert eagle is worthy of a mention..)

if you're there for extended visit , the UP at the right time is fantastic - Sault Ste. Marie lock gives you an idea of the size of the great lakes given the ships moving through the region.

I could go on...

Last edited by 383hq; 06-09-2017 at 08:20 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Take a 2 hour drive north and check out a town called frankenmuth. Awesome little German town that is perfect to visit in a corvette that you can hire from Avis
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
pmacc

Thanks for the replies, im looking at 3 days in Detroit currently so hopefully that should cover what i want to see and some of the suggestions provided.

Ive got a car booked so hopefully ill get to see more of Detroit than i would on foot