Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > General Discussions

Old 24-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #61
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Moffat Coupes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjgs View Post
Hi Guys

Another piece of the puzzle, the car in Federation Insurance colours, rolling shell only, was dropped at AAAA Ford parts in Waterdale Rd, West Heidleberg around 1983. Myself and 2 friends tried unsucessfully to buy it at that time. I have seen a pic on the web of it in the yard. The pic was dated 1985 0r 6 from memory which is incorrect but does prove that it was there. More to add to the story Dan.

Cheers Graeme
The car you made an offer was "Phoenix" and now sits in the Bathurst museum but I believe they were storing it for Moffat. All the evidence suggests Moff himself drove the "Phoenix" from 76 till Bathurst 79.

Won a hell of a lot of races "Phoenix" with Bonds car winning twice in the ATCC and a Manchamp race in the Cobra colors the only Cobra win.

Cliff notes, there were only ever three Moffat hardtops:

i) The ex-works XA converted to an XB at the begining of '74 which became the 'B52' burned to the ground at Adelaide in 1976.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyJBxznU7cE

ii) The 1976 replacement XB which was called 'Phoenix'.

iii) The 1977 XB built when Carroll Smith and Bond came into the team.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #62
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let me clear up a few things for you experts on the moffat cars first on the xa at sandown 73 leo drove the orange car wich was howards personal car then allan rolled the 9 car at the ild ford was out of racing they gave the no 6 car to allan the spare orange car went to fred we face lifted the xa to xb it became the brute 33 car for the first race in tassie for 74 after 4 rounds it was shipped of to the states it came back for sandown and the remaining year, half way in 75 it became the city ford car in 76 that car was destroyed by fire on the way to s.a. for the a.t.c.c. round then was the moffat dealer team born in white.with the red/blue stripes it went on to bathurst ect at the end of the 77 a.t.c.c. that car was face lifted to xc and a second car was built for colin 77 bathurst car no 1 was the 76 xb that car went on to become no1 cobra then the 25 black car of 79 no 2 cobra wich was no 2 of 77 went to gibbo and became the king george taven xd wich was then totaled at bathurst in 80,

Post in 2005 from Nick karadimas Moffat's mechanic, obviously he means the running gear went into the King George Tavern car that caused the crash in 81
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #63
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

And yet in regards to the B52 Brut 33 coupe, in his biography (page 224) Allan Moffat says:' I came back for the 1974 Sandown 400. The B52 was still in the States undergoing final testing so I ran the touring-car championship car'.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post