Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > General Discussions

Old 29-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #31
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe de Car
I actually want to replicat the Xb #1 ATCC 1976, but just looking it also had verticals, my XB coupe has Horizontals (some body cutting mods required) see my coupe image at ***http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/y...rama031.jpg***
The link states that the image has been removed or deleted
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #32
Coupe de Car
Starter Motor

OK sorry new at this, so put it via photobucket, Cheers
Coupe de Car is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #33
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

I just noticed it doesnt have a brake booster and the master cylinder is totally different to a normal falcon one.
Does any one know how the brake set up on the Moffat Coupe works?

Cheers Jack

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #34
xalent
Red Eye Racing

It works by using a strong right (or left depending on the situation) leg. Brake boosters really have no home in proper race cars, one less thing to fail, and most believe a better pedal feel is achieved by its deletion.
xalent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #35
CoupeCruiser09
Captain Planet

Quote:
OK sorry new at this, so put it via photobucket, Cheers

What's the specs on your car? XB GS, Year? Paint Code?
Will
Old 30-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #36
CoupeCruiser09
Captain Planet

Default Thorn Red

B52 in Thorn Red livery #2 went on to all but win the 76 ATCC, before the Adelaide transporter fire. Almost need to count John Goss' loaned XB that Moffat went on to secure the 76 ATCC as a part of the Moffat Coupe history...
Old 31-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #37
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
I actually want to replicat the Xb #1 ATCC 1976
the number 1 xb was first used in 1977 wasn't it
the number 2 thorn red car was used for most of the atcc (as coupecruiser stated) with the goss car used in adelaide
the moffat ford dealers man-champ car was number 9 and was used for at least sandown and bathurst
the xb's were used for the 77 atcc and then were face lifted to xc panels for the man-champ series later that year
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
andre3000

Default Re: The Moffat Coupes.

Sorry to drag up an old thread. But does anyone have any photos or information in regards to the interior of the moffat xa coupe? What seats he ran etc? Thanks in advance.
andre3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #39
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Does anyone have pics of the transporters Adelaide fire and aftermath?? I'm curios to see how much of the car was left.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #40
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres a pic from Auto Action of the real coupes at the mountain in preparation for October

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #41
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the story on the finish did Bond give it to Moffat

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #42
gtxb67

no - they were always going to do a form finish. they were always going to complete the last few laps together and that is what they did
the last lap was completed faster than the previous laps when moff was waiting for bond, so if the car was so crippled and unable to go faster, why would they have gone faster on the last lap
and finally, while bond was not likely to have been allowed to pass, the closest racing car was over a lap behind. why if moff's car was in a terminal condition, did they not slow down even more to make sure of finishing the race

no one short of moff himself can say for sure how bad his car was, but the facts do point towards moff slowing down much more than he had to, so bond could catch up. that way they would do not only the formation finish but complete the last few laps together to gain maximum exposure in the only race that mattered . . . . and give holden executives recurring nightmares that last to this day
This user likes this post:
Old 14-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #43
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
no - they were always going to do a form finish. they were always going to complete the last few laps together and that is what they did
the last lap was completed faster than the previous laps when moff was waiting for bond, so if the car was so crippled and unable to go faster, why would they have gone faster on the last lap
and finally, while bond was not likely to have been allowed to pass, the closest racing car was over a lap behind. why if moff's car was in a terminal condition, did they not slow down even more to make sure of finishing the race
no one short of moff himself can say for sure how bad his car was, but the facts do point towards moff slowing down much more than he had to, so bond could catch up. that way they would do not only the formation finish but complete the last few laps together to gain maximum exposure in the only race that mattered . . . . and give holden executives recurring nightmares that last to this day
Also interesting to note that the commentary team of the day had written the Moffat car off saying that it couldnt finish the race

As we all know not only did he finish, but he finished "with style"
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #44
crykieaus

Location: Up the Creek..But i Hav a Paddle....Sth Burnett Shire..QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
Does anyone have pics of the transporters Adelaide fire and aftermath?? I'm curios to see how much of the car was left.
What was left of the car was outside the main gate at the 1976 sandown hang ten 400.it was just a rusty burnt out shell with no running gear. they were cutting it up with an oxy torch etc and selling the bits for charity.i arrived just in time to see a guy buy the front springs and watch em cut the roof off...cheers
Old 15-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #45
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue
Also interesting to note that the commentary team of the day had written the Moffat car off saying that it couldnt finish the race

As we all know not only did he finish, but he finished "with style"
I have read some time ago and can't remember where. That there was a story that Jackie Ickx pumped out some good lap times during his stint, when he didn't need to and the front brakes were well worned, this could be the reason that Moff's cat had some intermitent smoke coming from the fronts near the end of the race.
I have got the recently released DVD of the race. I agree Moff had the race well under control and allowed Bond to catch up, most races during the 1977 ATCC they finished 1st & 2nd, Were these formed finishes aswell?
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #46
gtxb67

correct, the problem on moff's car was a front right?? brake. it was because when ickx drove his stint, he caned the car instead of cruising around in the lunch time stint. for sure his lap times were more than impressive, which is why moff had to slow down so much for bond. moff and bond were fairly evenly matched in their stints, but ickx blew alan hamilton away - no doubt in part to the fact that hamilton had read the script

from memory there were five 1-2 form finishes and one 2-1 form finish. it makes me laugh when morons actually seem to believe that they were not going to do the 1-2 at the only race that matters . . . and therefore think that is the only reason bond did not pass moff

it is also worth remembering that moff drove around the place without brakes previously and was fairly fast - in 1972, he drove around quarter/half the race with his rear brakes sometimes working well, sometimes working bad and sometimes not working at all. i know that it was a different car, and it was a front brake this time, but if anyone could have got the car home it was moff. the only real question was whether the top loader would have lasted - and it did

Last edited by gtxb67; 15-09-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 15-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #47
4stanger