Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Why you should clean your steering wheel

Why your car’s steering wheel is dirtier than a public toilet seat.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/motorin...df3b9fe779932c
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why you should clean your steering wheel

I clean the steering wheel and hand brake in my wife's car all the time, it gets absolutely disgusting with caked on crap all over it. I seriously don't know how women get their steering wheel in such a state. I looks like decades of makeup is on there sometimes.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
marty351
Shenanigans..............

In my experiences, (with a ladies vehicle), every control surface is contaminated with moisturiser or some kind of cosmetic, and in the worst conditions, can even go off producing unpleasant odours.
Glen 20 and a paper towel is a good remedy.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Try driving a Coach/Bus that every man and his dog gets behind the wheel of over the coarse of a week.
I keep a pack of baby wipes and a can of Glen 20 in my bag and wipe over the keys, entire dash and controls before i turn a wheel.

When you share a vehicle with multiple people over a working week you get an appreciation of just how feral some people can be.
I keep my bus immaculate between Monday morning and Friday afternoon, detailing it twice per week.
The weekend crew use it for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon/evening and it comes back looking like its never been cleaned, drives me nuts.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
I clean the steering wheel and hand brake in my wife's car all the time, it gets absolutely disgusting with caked on crap all over it. I seriously don't know how women get their steering wheel in such a state. I looks like decades of makeup is on there sometimes.
My gf's car summed up.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Why do they need to leave lipstick in the centre console to melt?
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

This thread grossed me out so I went out and cleaned the Fairmont's controls. Much better now, I hadn't gotten around to it since buying it.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
.:4:.
Kicking back

The inside of my work ute gets human slime over everything but its nothing hard to keep under control with some spray and and a reasonably clean cloth every few days. The ex wifes car was always just grot, but she didnt live in it like i do in the work car. By that i mean i often drive a long way to work and an awful long way during the day between jobs, not just the to and from work thats local and being a grub on the drive like the ex was in her car not cleaning up spills or being concerned about human slime as its only a short drive. I keep a can of spray in the console just so at the lights if grot is annoying me i can erradicate it. I work in dirty environments and have seen how bad collegues work cars get when they dont counter the grot they work in in their work cars. It gets bad, really bad. To the point a spray of interior cloth spray creates a slimey layer of mud on the seats. I get it, my work car isnt my car, but i have to live in it per say so i try to keep it clean and make it a nice environment for a place i spend hours in every day. It may not be the prettiest machine, but its not offensive to be a passenger in.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I grew-up playing with soldiers in a sandpit that was shared with a cat - I didn't get sick.

Never heard of steering-wheel contamination.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I grew-up playing with soldiers in a sandpit that was shared with a cat - I didn't get sick.

I guess your soldiers had to climb over some dried out solid mountains and some fresh burried ones.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #11
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 12:47 AM   #12
bundera

We used to have a customer bring his car in for servicing and it was that filthy inside that the cloth seats, drivers door trim and steering wheel were so matted with grime that we virtually had to Hazmat suit up.

The stench was something else too, you'd smell the guy before he walked in. Needless to say the apprentices always got to work on his car
bundera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Related first-world-problem ... activity based working (shared desks), where you inherit a shared computer or at a minimum keyboard and mouse. It's amazing how much skin, hair, food crumbs and godknowswhatelse people can leave on the desk, in a keyboard (between the keys), and on the mouse.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

All you people grossed out by this story do actually appreciate that the vast majority of bacteria (germs) are actually good for you right?

And that a device you use every day, without even thinking about it, probably has more germs on it than any other scenario described in this thread? Want to know what it is? Really? Sure? Ok, it's your mobile phone! Think about where some people take it with them (visiting mother nature for eg) and how often that device gets cleaned. And whose hands have been all over it.

Our phobia of germs (one brand that continually advertises that its product 'kills 99.9% of germs' is testament to this) is a good reason as to why there are so many allergies these days.

Yep, you might get sick from bacteria, but you will die without them.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #15
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I still think I would prefer a clean car. I just went out with a 50/50 spray bottle of white vinegar and water to neutralise odours in my car. I don't mind getting my hands dirty at work but its always nice to get back into a clean car after a long day.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

When I used to do early morning sales calls in people's homes, to measure and quote, I used to keep a small bottle of hand sanitiser and paper towels in the glove box.

Knock on the door, and often there to greet you is the man of the house still in his dressing gown.

He probably had just been to the toilet, did not wash his hands, and has been scratching his balls during his morning yawn.

We shake hands on greeting and leaving.

Back to the car, glove box opens before driving off.

And next time you go to a busy shopping centre and get on the escalator, don't hold on to the handrail as the great unwashed usually do.

Think of the hundreds of people before you who have been eating, wiping their nose, sneezing, and gripping that rail with their sweaty little palms.

Hand shakes, stair and escalator handrails... The quickest way to spread the flu and other bad germs.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Has anyone ever noticed that doors to public toilets always open inwards, so to get out you cant just push through, you've got to grab the handle that every other person who's been before you has.
Sort of makes washing your hands before you get to the door a waste of time really..
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #18
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Has anyone ever noticed that doors to public toilets always open inwards, so to get out you cant just push through, you've got to grab the handle that every other person who's been before you has.
Sort of makes washing your hands before you get to the door a waste of time really..
And you also close the tap after washing your hands, that everyone opened before washing their hands.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #19
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Use a paper towel to turn off the tap and open the door, then throw it was in the bin. A lot of public toilets have paper towel to dry your hands and they often have a bin near the door.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #20
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

You guys concerned about washing your hands after going to the toilet, do you ever wash your hands before you got to the toilet?

Think about it, you walk through that door, touched by every other person before you, after having been who knows where before hand, then you do your business, possibly handling your bits. And then only after that you wash your hands?

Those concerned about germs should wash both before and after......

If you were to stop and think about all of the places you come into contact with potentially nasty germs, you'd end up living in a bubble.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #21
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Use a paper towel to turn off the tap and open the door, then throw it was in the bin. A lot of public toilets have paper towel to dry your hands and they often have a bin near the door.
To save money and waste, many don't and only have an air dryer.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Some of you blokes wouldn't want to come to the quarry with me to clean my steering wheel from the dust, bloody hands and sweat.... and that's just loading the stone for work.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #23
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
You guys concerned about washing your hands after going to the toilet, do you ever wash your hands before you got to the toilet?

Think about it, you walk through that door, touched by every other person before you, after having been who knows where before hand, then you do your business, possibly handling your bits. And then only after that you wash your hands?

Those concerned about germs should wash both before and after......

If you were to stop and think about all of the places you come into contact with potentially nasty germs, you'd end up living in a bubble.
You know you're doing dirty work when you have to wash your hands before going to the loo.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #24
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure Mr Bean has done something on the great public toilet problem!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
And you also close the tap after washing your hands, that everyone opened before washing their hands.
Not always, some have those sensors that you trigger when you put your hands near them, others have an auto off function once they've delivered some water, but im yet to find a toilet facility door that opens outwardly.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
then you do your business, possibly handling your bits. And then only after that you wash your hands?
Huh..what do you mean handle your bits..i generally sit down to pi.. like all men do...dont you..guys...
Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #27
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Huh..what do you mean handle your bits..i generally sit down to pi.. like all men do...dont you..guys...
All men with Kia profile pics do...
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2019, 12:25 AM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
All men with Kia profile pics do...

Thats below the belt...i hope you washed your hands