Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 26-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Default 2001 Ka..electrical wiring schematic...

My poor little Ka. Suffered some neglect before me and a few gremlins but nothing i'd hold against her.

Out driving and had the AC on and blower fan and a phone hooked up to the cigarette socket to charge. Turned off the fan and suddenly lost all of these which must have power in common somewhere...
Heater/AC fan control
Electric windows
Headlights..Parker’s work no low or high beams
Cigarette lighter power

They all normally work and failed at once

AC itself still powers on recirc control etc all good. Radio still works.

Don’t have a schematic to see what a in common ;) Any hell appreciated! I'm pretty convinced it's the large relay underbonnet on the passenger side. The serv manual in the tech docs doesn't have the info i need.

All fuses / links appear good.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 2001 Ka..electrical wiring schematic...

It's not any of the interior fuse box ones but for future reference I've added the fuse box diagram for the internal fuse box HERE

No commonality for all the things described in that lot and it would be very unusual for any of those heavy amperage items like the A/C or headlights to share a common fuse. I'm trying to find the CJB diagram (I have one somewhere) but even the relays don't usually cover any more than one of those things. The only thing I can think is that some Euro models have an IGN2 relay that actually doesn't have anything to do with ignition as it's name suggests but instead can be used to feed high demand ancillaries.

Will keep looking.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Don't know if this helps from http://yamza.org/wiring/2000-ford-ka...box-layout.php :

But I guess if this applies checking fuse F38 in the auxillary fuse box and then checking to see if that fuse is getting 12V on one side might be a starting point. Do these things also have fusible links ?
Old 27-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Delete my comment re Fuse 38 I am not sure what I was thinking.
Old 27-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Thanks for the diagram which affirms my view that all those items are separately fused and as far as I know they don't have a fusible link beside which fusible links generally mean the car won't start. The only other thing I can think of is to check the two heavy cables attached to the positive lead on the battery and trace them to their destinations to check that nothing has come adrift. While you are at it clean the battery terminals anyway.

Another possibility is a failed ignition switch - try wiggling the key in it and see if any of those things come back.

It's just possible that something has killed a number of fuses at the same time but that's on the very edge of probability.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It appears some models at least have fusible links incorporated as plug in fuses in the battery terminal bus but that's not helping either per:
http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...battery-fuses/
Old 27-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

They are renowned for the power window wiring in the doors corroding at the door post inside the flexible ducting and causing the power windows to fail but, even if they shorted to the door metal, you would think that if it did bring down other items they would all have a common fusible link.

Last edited by aussiblue; 27-12-2017 at 11:57 AM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Thanks guys, there is a rather large relay 8 pin under the bonnet on the firewall 50A/20A 8 pin which may be associated with the issue, not sure of it's function but i just know unplugging it doesn't currently break anything that i can find. I think i've found one locally so will replace and try. A lot of the wiring diagrams out there seem mislabelled, aussiblues above doesn't match my fuse ratings etc while it IS tagged as Ka Mk1 on the site. Hoping this gets me over the hump. I never run the AC normally, just had one of the kids in the car on a mid-30's day so weakened. There went half the engines 44kw ;)

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks guys, there is a rather large relay 8 pin under the bonnet on the firewall 50A/20A 8 pin which may be associated with the issue, not sure of it's function but i just know unplugging it doesn't currently break anything that i can find. I think i've found one locally so will replace a....
That may be the electric cooling fan relay though they are usually at the front rather than on the firewall. It's not the washer or wiper relay is it>

Old 28-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Could be, its a bit of a on again off again job for me unfortunately. I'd be surprised if ONE of them wasn't the wiper relay, i'll see if i can trace at least one connection out. They're both on/near the firewall, and definitely factory location (this is our second Ka and same position as the first, first was a 1999 this one is a 2001). Just wish i could find a single diagram of the overall vehicle's electricals, all fuses intact makes no sense for it not to be a common connection or earth between the affected components. OR, they're all ignition or accessory switched? I can't remember now and too late to suss that.

Old 28-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Probably worth getting a short term subscription and downloading the factory manual from https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Ho...%2FViewProduct see https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/Pricing/7 for costs.
Old 28-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Yowza i never knew you could do that!!!! That said, i found a burnt out 40A/30A relay behind the dash....think we may have the culprit with that rating. But you've given me a quality backup plan, actually, i should just do that anyway thank you!!! ;)

This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 05:11 AM   #13
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see another KA owner on here, I thought I was the only lunatic with one.

Power windows though? That must be the luxury model!

Did you end up finding the culprit?
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post