Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Moo Man

Default JFK assassination limo painted at Broadmeadows

A little bit of history and an interesting read!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-0...tralia/9840906

Long story short, the limo that JFK was travelling in when he was assassinated was later modified and used by Johnson, including his visit to Australia in '66 where it was a victim of a paint 'bombing'.

Quote:
The result of the protest left the president's minders with a major headache: the paint thrown on the limousine had started to dry and couldn't be removed by hand.

Johnson was due to visit Sydney the next day for the showpiece event of his visit and driving through the city in a car splattered with paint simply would not do.

So, the vehicle was rushed to the Ford factory in Broadmeadows where, it was hoped, workers would have more luck restoring the paintwork.

Under extreme time pressure, Ford workers decided to strip and repaint the limousine rather than retouch the damaged areas.

They completed the job in an hour, in time for the car to be flown to Sydney by the US Air Force.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: JFK assassination limo painted at Broadmeadows

Good read. I wonder why they chose Breadmeadows rather than a reputable panel shop

security perhaps
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Great read!

Hard to believe that a vehicle of this significance hasnt been returned to the original specs as it was on that fateful day in 1963.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Man View Post
They completed the job in an hour, in time for the car to be flown to Sydney by the US Air Force.
That's what you call a 20 ft paint job.

"Looks fine from here"
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would they bring the car to Australia at all?
Nothing here would suffice?
I guess its understandable after what happened in 63 that they trusted no-one to prepare a car for a president's safety
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Technical conbtributions 

Didn't is say something about this car in the Ford Australia book, something like the US Officials got in contact with Ford (with the car being built by Ford) and they had the local output get it all sorted out (aka, Broadmeadows)
Sam1112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #7
Fordblue1000

This car, as well as a few other presidents cars are on display at the henry ford museum in detroit. I was quite surprised at how poorly condition all the cars were in. I guess they were a working car after all. But even some of these had rust in the doors etc! Good to see them as they were used back in the day though.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
1963 morris.
1920 model T
Fordblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember seeing this car also at the Henry Ford, and I recall standing beside it in amazement reading the history of it. Hard to believe a car with this much historical significance just sitting there in the museum, you can touch the thing!
Also there was Reagans 72 Lincoln still with bullet holes from when he was shot in 1981.
I remember it had a 460 in it and weighed something like 1300 pounds.
That museum is totally amazing and anyone thinking of going to that part of the US, it's a must see.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:23 AM   #9
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Good read. I wonder why they chose Breadmeadows rather than a reputable panel shop

security perhaps
Quote:
Under extreme time pressure, Ford workers decided to strip and repaint the limousine rather than retouch the damaged areas.

Not sure a paint shop could do it that quick.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Interesting stuff. The whole JFK story has so many twists , turns and conspiracies these days too . I also saw a story once on the Discovery Channel about the modern day Presidents Limo but I found this little clip just now on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJYbG0I7e20 ..Heavy bugger ...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I guess its understandable after what happened in 63 that they trusted no-one to prepare a car for a president's safety
Apparently the US president is the only head of state that takes a vehicle everywhere they go.

I suspect paranoia - avoid it being bugged. The Secret Service has a fleet of vehicles and flies one in ahead of the president wherever he goes.

Not much good in an open topped vehicle, as JFK found out, but heavily armoured, blast resistant, etc.

Very few heads of state have the security of the POTUS. Heck, the German chancellor hit up a few pubs in Brisbane and drank with the locals.
If no one else has the same level of security of you, it stands to reason they're not going to have vehicles up to your standards. Plus, they realise they're hated the world over.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Not sure a paint shop could do it that quick.
maybe back in the 60's but in recent years

The Ford assembly Plant, & like most other plants its not really setup for stripping paint back and respraying a car.

The paint booth is setup to hold the body only. its held with a robot on a conveyor system sprayed and then baked.

you cant just roll in a car off the road for a paint job.

perhaps you could back then
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
maybe back in the 60's but in recent years

The Ford assembly Plant, & like most other plants its not really setup for stripping paint back and respraying a car.

The paint booth is setup to hold the body only. its held with a robot on a conveyor system sprayed and then baked.

you cant just roll in a car off the road for a paint job.

perhaps you could back then
There would have been a paint defect repair area. There certainly was when I was last there in 2014. The car can't just go back through the paint shop to fix a defect. It has to be repaired by hand. But yeah extremely doubtful they had one hour to get it done. Sounds unrealistic.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I think these extras mentioned in the article probably explain why it was flown to Australia:

The vehicle — codenamed the SS-100-X by the US Secret Service — came with added extras such as telephones, a retractable roof, flashing lights, standing platforms for security agents and — questionably, in hindsight — a hydraulic lift that raised the president's seat so that he could be more easily seen.

Post the assassination

Titanium plating was added to the body, along with a bulletproof roof and windows, and flat-proof tyres.
It was also fitted with an air-filtration system to protect against chemical attack.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post