Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: AU V8 models: Basic questions answered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Port clean up is probably a better description. Some heads obviously needed more work to the casting than others.

If only they had fitted some proper heads to them, rather than fitting higher flowing stuff on intake and exhaust, only for it to breathe through a straw using tiny factory ports.

They should have used the bigger alloy heads Ford Racing had at the time. GT40X heads I think they were? Or was it GT40Y?

Maybe not so much on the 220, but at least on the 250kw engines.
The T1 and T2 TS50 with the 220 kW version actually had those alloy heads. When the AU II XR8 went to 220 kW, they switched back to iron heads, T-Series followed suit.

https://www.tseriesclub.org/technical-spec/

5.0-litre OHV V8 “Synergy 5000”

Cast Iron GT40P on the TE and TL

Aluminum SVO Y303 on the TS
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The T1 and T2 TS50 with the 220 kW version actually had those alloy heads. When the AU II XR8 went to 220 kW, they switched back to iron heads, T-Series followed suit.

Late model T2 TSs had the iron heads as well. I think it was around April 2001 they went to the larger valve GT40Ps

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

They were just alloy versions of the gt40. Same tiny port size. If anything the gt40p’s were probably better due to the chamber upgrades over the old gt40’s. Looking back at my Ford Motorsport catalogue from 98 they were the only heads they offered back then. The better, bigger port X heads must not have come along till later. I can find reference to them as far back as 2004 but i don’t know what year they were introduced. So they might not have even been available to tickford at the time of production.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They were just alloy versions of the gt40. Same tiny port size. If anything the gt40p’s were probably better due to the chamber upgrades over the old gt40’s. Looking back at my Ford Motorsport catalogue from 98 they were the only heads they offered back then. The better, bigger port X heads must not have come along till later. I can find reference to them as far back as 2004 but i don’t know what year they were introduced. So they might not have even been available to tickford at the time of production.
I remember reading an interview with a Tickford engineer making comparisons between the all-iron 220 and the earlier alloy head 220. Apparently he preferred the tougher sound of the all-iron version. I went looking for an online copy of that story but failed to find it, this was back in mid 2001 when the XR8 got the 220.

I did find this nugget of gold -

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...ommodore-vx-ss

"And the engine? What about the engine! Love it. This has got to be the dear old Windsor V8's finest hour. Cast iron may not be the fashion today, but this engine's booming responsiveness is never going to go out of style. Not until the oil runs out, anyway.

It sounds great. Suitably muted at idle and acceptably quiet at cruise speed revs, the 5.0-litre begins to sing as the needle swings past 3000. By 4000 it's V8 Supercar soundtrack. Low-pitched exhaust from behind, high-pitched mechanical whine up front. While the red on the tach dial starts at 5750, the Ford V8 feels eager to spin harder all the way to the rather coarse cut-out at 6250."
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: