Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #31
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

a friend of mine just bought a Yaris. She thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. I got in and in my head i said "what a heap"
Old 19-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #32
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i had a yarris when i was driving for dominoes...

i can tell you for fact this one topped out @ 160.. mahahha
Old 19-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #33
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Man that guy must need one of those blow-up ring cushions for the toilet when he goes home!
I bet he bloody does!, my but hurts after just an hour or two lol!
Old 19-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #34
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosman
Diseased or Deceased? Doesnt matter really, Coming from Adelaide they're 1 in the same !!!! He He
dead lol.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
I don't care what car you dish out, i couldn't do 600km+ everyday.
that sort of Kms everyday, even the top end of the market would get boring.
Well I did it 6 days a week for 2 years and then 2 days a week for 2 years in a couple of XC panel vans and a Gemini panel van. Maryborough to Rockhampton return except for thursday when it was Maryborough to Brisbane return.
Yes it did get boring occaissionally but it paid VERY well (800/wk when a tradesman earned about 200/wk). Oh and the Gemini (1979 model) would eat the Falcons for brekky, faster, better handling, much less fuel, much less fatiguing and MUCH more fun

Some of the comments in the thread have confirmed my theory that there are some people who hold a driver's licence and there are some people who are DRIVERS........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #36
3vXT

I used to do about 250-300k's a night all city driving in a 200? echo.

Snapped a belt once and had to use my eb one night. Because of all the tight spaces i had to u-turn in, the general 'nimbleness' of the toyota and the fact that the places i was going, the highest speed limit was well within its limits (80 or 90k's) it took me an extra hour in the falcon.

If i was on the highway for every day i'd want something bigger but around the city nothing i've driven comes close.

EDIT: And i might be wrong (its been a several years) but i think it was getting 500k's for a 30L tank, all heavy, stop start driving. If anyone can get that in a falcon i'll buy them a big cake
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #37
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I had to drive a Daewoo Lanos about 300-350k a night and I tell you what, it was the most uncomfortable tiring thing I have done. On the other hand a 2000 Corolla over the same distance was great and never as tiring. Didn't end up with a sore back either.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #38
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

All comfort asside, 240,000km in a year or whatever it was is not an issue for any new car.

If it is mostly freeway driving I would imagine there are cars with 1/4 the km's with double the wear and tear from stop start city driving.

If I knew I would be driving that sorta km I would buy a newish car just out of warranty and just replace the drivers seat to a more comfortable unit.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #39
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great quote on the youtube comments..

"nice work pizza boy" lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #40
rick'o
Car Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
I could do 500 kays a day in a car providing it was all highway, i couldnt do 500 kays around brisbane coz A) i wouldnt get anywhere and B) id pull my hair out.
I've just returned to Melbourne after ten years in Bris.....believe me: Brisbane is like a drive in the country compared to Melbourne these days.....easily as bad as Sydney now.
rick'o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #41
irsa76
Snoopping

I did 45,000km in 18 months in my 121. Would have been higher except I was semi employed for 6 months so didn't go anywhere. I think I did over 1000km during Rally of Canberra as an official in that car, did alot of rally officialling with it. My wife just told me we've done less then 30,000km in 3 years in the Verada.
I should also add the 45,000km was pretty hard driving on the Mazda, lots of dirt roads, even some light off road work, pizza delivery and long trips. Put 3 sets of tyres on it and apart from oil and filter every 5,000km and air filter and plugs every 20,000km that was it. Shame I rolled it really.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #42
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

LOL at 1 year old Yaris with 240,000. So glad i wasnt the one driving it. I will stick to my 88 EA with 150,500.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #43
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Man that guy must need one of those blow-up ring cushions for the toilet when he goes home!
i think with that much driving he probably poops on the go :
Old 21-08-2007, 12:09 AM   #44
flukey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
... almost as shocking as the fact there is a site called YarisWorld :
hahaha, yeh you're not wrong, I cracked up at the dude who commented that the sound of the Yaris with the headers was "unbelieveable"! lol, unbelieveably gutless maybe!
flukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #45
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did Melb to Sydney and back in a day each way, if it wasn't for the fact that I got a new car in the process, I wouldn't have sat in one for a week if I had it my way!

How many do truckies usually do a day?
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #46
moguzhan
Starter Motor

how the hell did you get that many kms?
moguzhan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #47
Ringo
I see you....

There is another thread somewhere in FF history on kms.

My Father in law has a Rodeo V6 that it up 645,000 with an unopened engine...he had to have a clutch put in it last year and was upset about it, its on its second set of pads and while the body is getting rough it still drives well. He lives on the outskirts of Melbourne and is a courier. He does 500-550 k per day sometimes up to 800 kms if he has a country run....his driving technique has a lot to do with it - un hurried, smooth and mechanically sympathetic.

I work for a fleet company and we have a bunch of people who do stupid amounts of kms a year for work purposes. I once had a guy who was a rep who's territory was basically country NSW north west of Canberra. He had a 2 year old Commiedore with 220kms on it. He could spend 6 hours on the road just visting 3 customers in a day.

Had another person once who had a job that covered the NSW, QLD and NT and hated flying....had an XR6 turbo company car and was doing 80,000 kms per year. She did an interstate trip a week she reckoned....

Still....after all that its is an insane amount of kms to put on a Yaris driving long distance on hwys...I would much rather a bit of metal around me and a higher safety rating if I was doing that kind of work.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #48
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
There is another thread somewhere in FF history on kms.

My Father in law has a Rodeo V6 that it up 645,000 with an unopened engine...he had to have a clutch put in it last year and was upset about it, its on its second set of pads and while the body is getting rough it still drives well. He lives on the outskirts of Melbourne and is a courier. He does 500-550 k per day sometimes up to 800 kms if he has a country run....his driving technique has a lot to do with it - un hurried, smooth and mechanically sympathetic.
whats funny is our 94 hilux with 677,000 on it is thrashed EVERY day...lol.

ours sounds much the same though, clutch done at 550,000, cos the fingers broke, but it still had stacks of friction material on it.... decided while it was apart that a newy should go in though...
its got the original hoses bar 1, had to change the throttle linkage cos it broke (bakerlite) otherwise its as it rolled out of the factory... (right down to the fact its got nothing, not even a radio...:S).

i wanna get it and slap a turbo on it
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post