Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 23-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #241
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XC Cobra #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
Yes, I have recently bought 2 of them, one for the XC and on for the XD. I will see if I can get another one for the LTD.

Great indepth photos keep them coming as they are a great guide for all of us putting our projects back together!! I know it saves me knicking paint sometimes! once again many thanks & keep up the great work!
Old 23-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #242
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default Engine is in!

The engine is in, well mostly. All went well except for popping off a small berak line clip on the fire wall.

BUT!!!! (there's always a but isn't there )

Those lovely "old" new engine mounts don't work!!!!!

Basically, the main part of the rubber is 37mm thick whereas the "new" new engine mounts are 31mm thick. The effect is that the holes for the engine mounts don't line up. Sooooo, engine will stay on and I will change them out insitu for the other ones, one at a time. What a major PITA

Here are a couple of pic's

Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #243
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Taking a step back for a moment, first up was the steering box installation. All I had to do was to fit the pitman arm and the rag joint.

And fitted

And a few random pics of the engine bay

Before putting the car onto all fours, I also wanted to change out the fuel and emission lines

New 1/4 and 3/8" line

All I did was to tape up the new pipe to the old pipe and just pulled it through.

And all done

And then off the jack stands and onto the ground for the first time in a long long time

And in the engine went. I don't have any pics of the engine going in as a mate of mine was helping and he was somewhat pressed for time and with the problem with the engine mounts, it all had to happen pretty quickly.

And the only other job that was done was fitting the console

Lastly, back to the engine mounts: as I mentioned before, the ones that I had fitted initially, had to come out. In doing so, the other ones that I did not want to fit, had to be 'panel beated' to a certain extent so as to make them work. Let's just say that a fair bit of work went into them. However, once modified, they worked a treat.

I dropped the tail shafts and distributors (LTD, XC & XD) today and in about 2 weeks time all should be ready including the power steering pump, carburettors as well as some zinced bolts that still need to go on the car. So, more updates when I get all of the above stuff back.
Old 25-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #244
Paull
P6 LTD

And now for something more technical.

The following is a rebuild of the idler pulley mostly by pics

First, press out the shaft

Press on the outer rim to push the shaft and bearing out of the pulley

And then press out the shaft from the bearing

This is then followed by pressing the new bearing onto the shaft

Then press on the pulley to the shaft & bearing

And lastly, press the shaft back into the bracket

And then, pressing on the cover and centre popping

Old 25-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #245
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Many thanks Paul. Now I can get that done on my car mate
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #246
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Excellent Work !!!
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #247
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Many thanks Paul. Now I can get that done on my car mate
George, ieally this is best done with a hydraulic press. As I don't have one, hammer, vice and punch have to suffice.
Old 25-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #248
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Loving the sandal in view Paul

We are 1 all after you spotted my trendy slipper
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #249
wayne cqld
Starter Motor

G'day Paull, nearly done mate, good job.

Wayne
wayne cqld is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #250
SCJCoupe

New to AFF and only saw this thread 2 weeks ago. Very impressive, the build and the sheds! Love it
This is a high quality build and can't wait to see the finished car on here and maybe in the flesh one day.
SCJCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #251
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loving this build that is high attention to detail , great cobra can't wait to see the rest.

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #252
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

Yes mate - i fully concur with all above comments..... Sensational work.
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #253
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm so jealous of this build - well done Paull.
Just wondering once she's done - will she be a now and then weekend cruiser and show stopper at all ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #254
Paull
P6 LTD

Small update. A few things have returned

Power steering pump

Air cleaner has been plastic media blasted and undercoated. It still needs a final coat in that lovely blue

Distributor (the other one is for the P6 LTD that I am restoring)

Driveshafts, (same as above, the longer one is for the P6 LTD)

And of course, saving the best for last, the Carter Thermoqad (lots of pics here)

And a few in the engine bay

Old 30-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #255
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That has to be one of the best looking carbies I have ever seen!
Old 30-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #256
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
I'm so jealous of this build - well done Paull.
Just wondering once she's done - will she be a now and then weekend cruiser and show stopper at all ?
Thanks for your kind words.

I think it will be a now and then weekend cruiser. I have made quite a few changes away from standard for the car to be judged as a starndard resto so I don't think it would do all that well. But I am certainly happy with it as I have done the car the way that I have always wanted to.
Old 30-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #257
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
That has to be one of the best looking carbies I have ever seen!
When I picked up all three, it was like Carter TQ heaven. the bloke kept asking me "are you happy with them?" Like how could I not be!!!!
Old 30-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #258
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Thanks for sharing the pics Paull. Awesome
Old 30-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #259
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Loving the sandal in view Paul

We are 1 all after you spotted my trendy slipper
That wasn't planned, trust you to pick up on it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne cqld
wayne cqld G'day Paull, nearly done mate, good job.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. Not long now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Thomas
Yes mate - i fully concur with all above comments..... Sensational work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79FordEsky
Loving this build that is high attention to detail , great cobra can't wait to see the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJCoupe
New to AFF and only saw this thread 2 weeks ago. Very impressive, the build and the sheds! Love it
This is a high quality build and can't wait to see the finished car on here and maybe in the flesh one day.
Thanks for all of your kind words fellas, puts a smile on my face to see that the effort and the car is appreciated.
Old 30-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #260
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Thanks for sharing the pics Paull. Awesome
Thanks Louise, hopefully more to come over the Christmas period
Old 30-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #261
Jallopy

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words.

I think it will be a now and then weekend cruiser. I have made quite a few changes away from standard for the car to be judged as a starndard resto so I don't think it would do all that well. But I am certainly happy with it as I have done the car the way that I have always wanted to.
Yea all your small mods are better than original well done. I will keep following this to the finish.
Old 18-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #262
tweeked
N/A all the way

My lust for the Cobra as a kid is why I ordered my GT new in 2004 with the blue stripes. Loved reading through this see it slowly coming to life. Thanks!!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #263
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it has been said before but mate ...WOW what a quality build ,i have a look in every now and then to see how its going and to get some inspiration when i get to doing my xb gt back to original ,only hope i dont rush it and end up not happy with the job ,has there been anything that you have found that you wish could have been done better or differantly ...doc
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #264
Flogginit

Quote:
When I picked up all three, it was like Carter TQ heaven. the bloke kept asking me "are you happy with them?" Like how could I not be!!!!
Hi Paull, You didn't by anychance happen to pick it up along with two other thermoquads from The Carby shop in O'connor? I walked in there to ask him about my Holley and there was three full recon Thermoquads sitting on the front counter ready for pick up. He said a bloke was picking up all three!

Last edited by Flogginit; 21-12-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling error
Flogginit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #265
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really nice Paul.

Nearly there and looking fantastic...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #266
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogginit
Hi Paull, You didn't by anychance happen to pick it up along with two other thermoquads from The Carby shop in O'connor? I walked in there to ask him about my Holley and there was three full recon Thermoquads sitting on the front counter ready for pick up. He said a bloke was picking up all three!
Certainly was, scroll down to the bottom of the page

One for the P6 LTD
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1328255&page=5

And one for this car. I have been a bit slack and I have not posted up the most recent photos for the XD

http://www.xfalcon.com/forum/showthr...-pursuit/page6
Old 21-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #267
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
it has been said before but mate ...WOW what a quality build ,i have a look in every now and then to see how its going and to get some inspiration when i get to doing my xb gt back to original ,only hope i dont rush it and end up not happy with the job ,has there been anything that you have found that you wish could have been done better or differantly ...doc
Yes.

Leaf springs to be painted properly.
To have it finished by now.

On the last point, I have recently changed jobs and the way it's looking, the car won't be touched for the indefinite future. Same applies to the XD and the LTD. Real bummer that.
Old 29-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #268
Taipan
Starter Motor

Quote:
On the last point, I have recently changed jobs and the way it's looking, the car won't be touched for the indefinite future. Same applies to the XD and the LTD. Real bummer that.
Just read all 9 pages and sorry to hear about the work being put off for awhile, hope your new job turns out OK so you can get back into the swing of things.
Would love to drive a beauty like this.. good luck mate..
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #269
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan
Just read all 9 pages and sorry to hear about the work being put off for awhile, hope your new job turns out OK so you can get back into the swing of things.
Would love to drive a beauty like this.. good luck mate..
New job is working out well, just no time for the cars. Currently painting the whole house (inside) on the weekends which leaves nothing for the Cobra. Hopefully come Easter, I will have a few days to work on it. I have also just put the car back up onto the stands to keep the weight off the tyres. So close yet so far :(

Last edited by Paull; 29-12-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #270
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,any updates Paul ? I was just looking at a NZ website with a resto of my late brothers Cobra 388 ....wow it is going to be one tough beast . Hope you get to drive 140 soon.
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post