Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default John Haynes of Haynes Manual Fame Dies

https://haynes.com/en-au/john-harold...s-obe-obituary

Quote:
John Haynes, the entrepreneur and creator of the Haynes Manual, founder of the Haynes Publishing Group PLC and the Haynes International Motor Museum passed away peacefully, surrounded by family, on the evening of Friday 8th February, aged 80, after a short illness. John was a kind, generous, loving and devoted husband, brother, father and grandfather, who will be missed enormously.
Old 15-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: John Haynes of Haynes Manual Fame Dies

Also https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/02/13/john_haynes/

Quote:
Granddaddy of the DIY repair generation John Haynes has loosened his last nut
Old 15-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

If your really keen you can probably pick up a copy of his very first 'manual' that he wrote while still at boarding school, very smart young lad.....

Quote:
At the age of 12 he moved to the UK with his brother David, to attend boarding school at Sutton Valence School in Kent. It was at school that John’s flair for art and his entrepreneurial spirit developed and flourished. He persuaded his House Master to allow him to miss rugby and instead spend his time converting an Austin 7 into a lightweight sporty Austin 7 ‘Special’. He eventually sold the car, making a reasonable profit, and owing to the immense interest it received (over 150 replies to the advert) he decided to produce a booklet showing other enthusiasts how he'd made it. He published a booklet entitled “Building A ‘750’ Special’; the first print run of 250 copies sold out in 10 days.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember getting a Haynes manual for my first car, a Ford Cortina Mark 11 GT, it was very thumbed and oiled marked after some 5 years of ownership

Used it for head replacement, engine pull out, gearbox removals, multiple diff removals and replacements, windscreen removal/replacement, etc etc

Police in those days did not need to fingerprint you- just find your Haynes for a full set of oiled finger prints ….....

Vaile John Haynes

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I wonder if our own Australian Scientific Publications that became Gregory's before being taken over by Haynes has an earlier history. I have one of their manuals for a Standard Vangard that was published in 1950.
Old 15-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The US based Chiltons, also taken over by Haynes goes back to 1896. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilton_Company I suspect Australian Scientific Publications car services manuals only started in 1950 although the published manuals for earlier cars. e.g. https://www.stuff4blokes.com.au/1932...op-manual.html
Old 15-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: John Haynes of Haynes Manual Fame Dies

RIP John.

Thanks for all your great and detailed help through all my years DIYing as much as possible on all my past 4.0 Fords.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 11:59 PM   #8
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I remember my first Haynes manual. Plenty of long nights spent looking at the oil marked pages under a feeble fluorescent work light trying to figure out how to put my falcon back together...

Good times, I wouldn't trade them for the world.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
The US based Chiltons, also taken over by Haynes goes back to 1896. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilton_Company I suspect Australian Scientific Publications car services manuals only started in 1950 although the published manuals for earlier cars. e.g. https://www.stuff4blokes.com.au/1932...op-manual.html
While I admire John Haynes as an entrepreneur, his was hardly the "Grandfather of DIY workshop manuals".

It appears that our own Scientific Publications (which became Gregorys) & Rellim, along with Chilton & Clymers from the USA all pre-date his 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite manual.

He was arguably a better businessman though, his company now owns all of these publishers.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The Haynes Museum in south-west England is well worth a visit if you are over there. It has a few of Mr Haynes' personal cars including a gigantic 1979 American Ford wagon that must have been a challenge to drive and park over there.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post