Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The Rain

I know we have a number of members in Townsville and surrounds, and other places affected by all the rain and flooding in NQ and FNQ.

I hope you are all safe and sound and your pride and joys have made it to higher ground.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Rain

All good in FNQ LG! I'm at Trinity Beach and we've only had about 360mm for the last week. Poor old Townsville has copped about a metre during the same period though.

Hopefully our members down there have got themselves, families and their cars etc safe and comparatively dry. The Townsville area is geographically pretty flat, so it certainly does inundate with that sort of rainfall.

Our thoughts are with them.
ozpacman is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lived in Cairns for 25 years so I know what it can be like. Glad to see that you're ok.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been in Brisbane for 3 weeks and just flew back into Longreach yesterday, then drove out to Winton. I'd been hearing about the rain, and lots of the roads are cut, but the Longreach rain radar has been down all week too.

Plenty of rain here, but every creek crossing from Longreach to Winton was dry, and it looks like finishing up in a couple days, so still not enough rain out this way.

That said, it's channel country, and It had pretty much stopped raining when the town was cut off last year.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2019, 01:53 AM   #5
DASTIG

Monsoon trough has moved south to Mackay and the Whitsunday's. Not sure on the rain fall for Whitsunday or Prossie but started to rain more here in Mackay. About 150mms so far. Eungella has had at least double this. Eungella experienced bad fires prior to Christmas and now there is a land slid on the range.

Townsville had about 1,100mms and a town just north had 1,750mms in 4 days. At 1 stage they had 145mms in 1 hour.

The rain that we have experienced in Mackay over the last 2 months is what I remember the wet seasons used to be like 15 plus year ago. We have just forgotten about it.

My heart goes out to the Townsville residents and the immediate clean-up and the future repair work that will take years to complete. In 2008 Mackay experienced flooding from a rain event 800mms in 7 hours. Repairs to 8,000 houses took 2 years plus to complete. Townsville and the other flooded towns nearby has a higher number of houses that will need repairs. Need the government and insurers to stand up and help out with action ASAP. Quality and trust worthy tradies will be needed big time!!

When I talk to southerns about rain I tell them "you can only call it rain when you can't see the street sign and the ducks are under cover!!!"
DASTIG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2019, 01:54 AM   #6
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They'll be fine. Aren't all the houses on stilts up there?
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please send some excess rain down south. We need it in the Central highlands and Southern areas.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Our home wasn't effected by the floods, we are in a higher area. There are areas of Townsville that have been devistated. Our weather station has received over 1,400mm of rain for the last two weeks, other areas have had much more. The Ross River dam went from 80% to over 250%. The spillway gates needed to be open to protect the dam. Thats what caused most of the flooding. There was a very sad photo on facebook, water halfway up the doors of Mustangs at Carmichael Ford

The rain has eased and the flood waters are going down. The clean up begins

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
Our home wasn't effected by the floods, we are in a higher area. There are areas of Townsville that have been devistated. Our weather station has received over 1,400mm of rain for the last two weeks, other areas have had much more. The Ross River dam went from 80% to over 250%. The spillway gates needed to be open to protect the dam. Thats what caused most of the flooding. There was a very sad photo on facebook, water halfway up the doors of Mustangs at Carmichael Ford

The rain has eased and the flood waters are going down. The clean up begins
My first wife, her husband and their kids live in Townville.
Like you they were on higher ground, so are okay.
But some of the photos she sent me are really shocking of the devastation the floods have caused.

I posted the photo of those flooded Mustangs here;

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11476824
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The water that has flowed to the west along with the unprecedented rain, is now taking it's toll on the farmers. They've gone from a massive drought to watching the cattle they have left drowning in the massive sea of water.
Poor bastards...

In regards to the Townsville bit, I would really like to know why the deaths of the 2 blokes who were running from police are being treated as 'deaths in custody.'
Karma is a real bitch sometimes.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ
They'll be fine. Aren't all the houses on stilts up there?
You’ve got no idea have you...

According to some reports more than 2000mm of rain has fallen in 8 days...
No they won’t be fine...

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Time lapse of rising floodwaters over Corella Creek Train tracks....

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/02/08/...melapse-vision

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Could be we are next in line in Bundy and the surrounds, if the weather models are anything to go by, although the ECMWF/GFS models are pretty far apart at the moment.....

BOM Interactive Weather (hit play)
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/char...t=Refresh+View

ECMWF/GFS models on Windy, hit play bottom left and toggle between ECMWF/GFS at bottom right....
https://www.windy.com/?-25.215,158.6...sure,m:cXTako8

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately parts of Bundy flood pretty easily but there's a report that the cyclone is actually weakening.
Old 19-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #15
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

At the moment the weather models haven't really locked on to this one, none of them are even close to agreeing although there is a fairly strong belief that it will track southwards of the east coast of Aus and swing over to NZ, will see...

Regardless, our boat is on the hardstand at the Bundy Marina so will put some extra tent pegs in, just in case....

3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Regardless, our boat is on the hardstand at the Bundy Marina so will put some extra tent pegs in, just in case....
Better batten down the hatches and add extra hull stands.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #17
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I have wondered for a long time why people still live in a floodplain...
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Old 19-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #19
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Better batten down the hatches and add extra hull stands.
Will do, got plenty of hull stands plus she is sitting in a full cradle pinned to the ground with light truck axles, also got a goodly supply of ratchet straps to fit closer to the "event" if it eventuates, i will be staying on board for the fun.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (71.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (45.5 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by DJR-351; 01-03-2019 at 01:27 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Very nice centre cockpit.
Better on dry land I reckon, I was in the marina in Newcastle's mini cyclone in 2007 (Pasha Bulker storm) man the winds, 98 knots recorded that night, had a ketch leaning over us most of the night with Forjac's floating dock breaking loose and two tugs holding it in position.
The marina was one of the only places not to loose power in the city.

Get all your running lines tied up tight as well as I've seen roller furler's become unfurled in a storm with the boat trying to sail itself in a berth.

Old 19-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #21
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

If you get carried away like Noah on that thing, make sure you film the adventure and upload to youtube.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Very nice centre cockpit.
Better on dry land I reckon, I was in the marina in Newcastle's mini cyclone in 2007 (Pasha Bulker storm) man the winds, 98 knots recorded that night, had a ketch leaning over us most of the night with Forjac's floating dock breaking loose and two tugs holding it in position.
The marina was one of the only places not to loose power in the city.

Get all your running lines tied up tight as well as I've seen roller furler's become unfurled in a storm with the boat trying to sail itself in a berth.
Lol well there you go, i was on the Pacific Responder that helped pull the PB of the beach, been working at sea for a long time now and been through a few big blows....

My main and mizzen sails have been removed and the headsail and staysail furled wrapped and furlers locked, all good can't understand why people don't lock there furlers but they do, a Lagoon catamaran was lost here in Bundy for that exact reason last year

2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yeah, was a beaut storm that one, they nearly lost 3 ships that night.
In the morning we walked down to look at the mess and to add insult to injury a large hail storm came in, us and 10 other huddled under a towies tilt tray.
On the cat, that gets me when owners go to so much trouble preparing everything else on deck and leave the sails up just furled.

Were you involved with the HMS Nottingham recovery ?

Old 19-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #24
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, was a beaut storm that one, they nearly lost 3 ships that night.
In the morning we walked down to look at the mess and to add insult to injury a large hail storm came in, us and 10 other huddled under a towies tilt tray.
On the cat, that gets me when owners go to so much trouble preparing everything else on deck and leave the sails up just furled.

Were you involved with the HMS Nottingham recovery ?

No i wasn't on that job, would have been interesting though...

Heres some footage of the storm and the sunk cat, one cat unfurled causing it to collide with and break the moorings of another cat, when it collided it put a decent hole in it causing it to sink fairly quick, we only just got it to the shallows at the beach before it went all the way down, the one that unfurled and caused the damage didn't sink...

Not my footage...

Not my footage but my boats in it if you can pick it, near the end of the mooring finger as the ferry is passing right at the beginning, we are one in from the very end with a dingy hanging in the davits....

Again not my footage but from another fella still in the yard, the yacht laying on it's side is still getting repaired not far from where my boat is...

Old 19-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Joys of owning a boat eh, That sunken cat has the same name as mine.
SV Felix

Old 20-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #26
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

QLD Flood Watch: Gladstone and the NSW Border and Adjacent Inland Areas
Source: Bureau of Meteorology

Issued at 2:55 pm EST on Wednesday 20 February 2019

Flood Watch Number: 1

River level rises above the minor flood level are possible across the Flood Watch area during the weekend and early next week. There is a risk of moderate to major flooding, dependent on the movement of TC Oma.

Tropical Cyclone Oma is expected to continue its track towards the southern Queensland coast in the coming days, which may produce heavy rainfall over the weekend and early next week. The specific area and duration of this heavy rainfall is dependent on the track of Tropical Cyclone Oma.

Catchments across southern Queensland remain quite dry after a delayed start to the wet season. However areas where intense rainfall is recorded will likely respond quickly.

Based on the current forecast track, minor flooding is possible in coastal catchments south of Bundaberg from early in the weekend.

Heavy rainfall may also lead to localised flooding.

Catchments likely to be affected include:

Calliope River
Boyne River
Baffle Creek
Kolan River
Burnett River
Burrum and Cherwell Rivers
Mary River
Noosa River
Sunshine Coast Rivers and Creeks
Pine and Caboolture Rivers
Upper Brisbane River
Lower Brisbane River
Logan and Albert Rivers
Gold Coast Rivers and Creeks
Condamine Rivers
Macintyre River
Weir River
Moonie River

See www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings to view the current flood and cyclone products for Queensland.

For more information on the Flood Watch Service: http://www.bom.gov.au/water/floods/f...Services.shtml

Flood Safety Advice:
This Flood Watch means that people living or working along rivers and creeks should monitor the latest weather forecasts and warnings.

Remember: If it's flooded, forget it.

For flood emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

For life threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

Current emergency information is available at www.qld.gov.au/alerts.

This advice is also available by dialling 1300 659 219 at a low call cost of 27.5 cents, more from mobile, public and satellite phones.

Warning, rainfall and river information are available at

www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/

You have received this email because you are a Club Marine member and have enabled Severe Weather Alerts through the Club Marine App.

Old 20-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
You have received this email because you are a Club Marine member and have enabled Severe Weather Alerts through the Club Marine App.
Your Club Marine should have given you this link as well

Click on the arrow to start the replay and click on Layers to bring up the coastline and cities.

http://satview.bom.gov.au
Old 20-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #28
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Your Club Marine should have given you this link as well

Click on the arrow to start the replay and click on Layers to bring up the coastline and cities.

http://satview.bom.gov.au
Good old Himawari-8

Old 21-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

That sat viewer don't look to good. Take care.

Old 21-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #30
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3