Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #31
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Mustang New and Improved ! Now with 3 star ANCAP safety rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Just dont be a rear passenger in a mustang.

And dont crash. Because you dont have your own door to get out.
But that would apply to any 2 door coupe... Not just the Mustang.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #32
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you need a ding ding ding to remind you to put a seat belt on ,it says nothing about how safe the car is but how stupid the person is

Last edited by jmack; 07-06-2018 at 09:41 AM.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I wonder what % of Mustangs have ever had a person in the back. Would be less than 1-2% I reckon. At least more than once anyway.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #34
Rico 110s
Falcon follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
I had a Mach 1 for nearly 20 years as a daily driver. Nobody ever rode in the back seat.
Nor would you want to ride around in the back either, I had one and an RX7 (s2) and I think it was a little better in the latter.
Rico 110s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #35
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I wonder what % of Mustangs have ever had a person in the back. Would be less than 1-2% I reckon. At least more than once anyway.
i can only speak from my own experiences, but of all the Mustang owners I have known, nobody rode in the back seat.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #36
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico 110s View Post
Nor would you want to ride around in the back either, I had one and an RX7 (s2) and I think it was a little better in the latter.
I believe that. It was a good place to puts things, but not people.

Even going back to the first Mustang I drove was a '67 fastback designated as a 2+2. All that really meant was the back seats fold down and you could put your fishing rods into the boot and they would extend into the back seat and center console area.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 AM   #37
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
What will you say when your precious Camaro get's 2-3 stars?
Mine? yours too mr crusty.
After all the more muscle cars the better.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2018, 01:09 AM   #38
yakcam
I drank what?

Talking Re: Mustang New and Improved ! Now with 3 star ANCAP safety rating

Yeah, I think I've had people in the back of the Coupe once. Wonder what the ANCAP rating of a 1975 Fairmont Coupe would be? Considering that it's my daily, I must be lucky to be alive
Old 08-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #39
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
i can only speak from my own experiences, but of all the Mustang owners I have known, nobody rode in the back seat.
The big advantage of owning a Mustang...

When you and your mates want to go out to the pub or night on the town, and they say "Let's all go in one car"....
Well, obviously four of us won't fit in the Pony, so you get to ride in the mate's who has the four door sedan / SUV.

You don't need to worry about parking the shiny Stang in the pub carpark, plus you can drink and not worry about driving home.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2018, 03:15 AM   #40
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Well, obviously four of us won't fit in the Pony, so you get to ride in the mate's who has the four door sedan / SUV.
Even my Foxbody (also white). I have a front passenger seat. Why bother with a rear seat?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontSeats.JPG (90.0 KB, 249 views)
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #41
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Wonder what the ANCAP rating of a 1975 Fairmont Coupe would be? Considering that it's my daily, I must be lucky to be alive
Yes; especially as the early ones had a habit of catching fire especially if rear ended and trapping people in the back seat.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #42
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned several 2 door coupes in the 70s and that's the first time i heard of that, and they had much more room in the back tan a mustang.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Yes; especially as the early ones had a habit of catching fire especially if rear ended and trapping people in the back seat.
Wasn't that the Pinto?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #44
yakcam
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I don't drive from the back seat.

I would like to see where you got your info from though and what changes were made to the coupes to make them safer in a rear end collision and what the other causes were for them catching fire. Should be an interesting read.

Cheers!
Old 10-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #45
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some cars will always sell like hot cakes irrespective of the safety rating, Mustang is one of em’. If Caterham are ever allowed to bring the 620r to Oz I’d buy it, its brakes may give it a 1 star
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #46
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Some cars will always sell like hot cakes irrespective of the safety rating, Mustang is one of em’. If Caterham are ever allowed to bring the 620r to Oz I’d buy it, its brakes may give it a 1 star
Traditionalist eh?
progressives/moderns would go the ariel atom
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #47
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I owned several 2 door coupes in the 70s and that's the first time i heard of that, and they had much more room in the back tan a mustang.
GT450
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...&searchLimits=

Quote:
MELBOURNE, Wednesday. — The - Ford Motor Company is recalling 3,200two-door Falcons because of a fire risk and will fit, free of charge, heat shields between the mufflers and the floor pan. ' The models affected are XA and XB Falcons built between March, 1972, and June this year, and fitted with dual exhaust systems.
As I recall there were some tragedies or near tragedies in Perth with people trapped the rear of burning cars that got headlines at the time. I'll see if I can find those articles too.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #48
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never heard of that before, I've never heard anything about a recall either.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #49
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Never heard of that before, I've never heard anything about a recall either.
I have a strong recollection of it probably because I am sure there were pics in the Daily News of a burnt GT coupe (I think on the Narrows Bridge) and I had friends and work colleagues at the time with two door GT's who had children that they often carried in the rear and they were talking about their concerns; one sold his car as result this and consequent pressure from his missus. Haven't been able to find the article but I don't think that Trove's Daily News collection is complete and I also may not be using the right search string.

Anyhow; I guess the message is: if you have coupe of that era with dual pipes make sure the heat shields are in place and carry a good fire extinguisher.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-06-2018 at 11:31 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #50
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let me see.
I'd sit in the driver's seat.
My woman would be in the passenger seat.

Who on earth would be sitting in the back?

Hell. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had people on the back seat of my Falcon.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #51
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Well its probably good. Likely it stops those people who need a flashing light and a ding ding sound to remind them to put their seatbelt on from buying one.
Yes with the Euro NCAP influence, its the (unnecessary) techno Nannies that seem to take precedence over the actual physical Structural Integrity of the vehicle.....unfetted Nanny State mentality with a dislocation from practical reality and the need for conscious and alert driving (the price of female Polliticians ????)

The 2018 Mustang gets TOP Safety ratings in its own country......

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/F...2%252520DR/RWD

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-coupe/2018
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #52
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a strong recollection of it probably because I am sure there were pics in the Daily News of a burnt GT coupe (I think on the Narrows Bridge) and I had friends and work colleagues at the time with two door GT's who had children that they often carried in the rear and they were talking about their concerns; one sold his car as result this and consequent pressure from his missus. Haven't been able to find the article but I don't think that Trove's Daily News collection is complete and I also may not be using the right search string.

I don't believe there was any inherent problem with coupe Falcons and i believe your story of a fire, but it may have been caused by circumstance not design. These were built just like regular XA/XBs and i defy you to show me were they had any more reason to catch fire in an accident than any other Ford. They may have been harder to get out of but that's all and the same goes for the mustang.
GT450
Old 12-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #53
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
i defy you to show me were they had any more reason to catch fire in an accident than any other Ford.
The recall press release published in the newspaper per the link I gave isn't enough evidence? And it wasn't as a result of an accident; the cars were self igniting when I assume the the floor covering and or perhaps the fuel tank/line got overheated from the hot exhaust heat. Remember this was also before the ACCC enforced recalls and they were therefore not mandatory rather than voluntary and were often via a press release (and probably letters to owners). Things had to pretty serious before they recalled anything. The idea of government legislated recalls was only being discussed in 1975 per https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...976_pp156b.pdf etc

Only the dual exhaust two door vehicles were recalled:
Quote:
MELBOURNE, Wednesday. — The - Ford Motor Company is recalling 3,200 two-door Falcons because of a fire risk and will fit, free of charge, heat shields between the mufflers and the floor pan. ' The models affected are XA and XB Falcons built between March, 1972, and June this year, and fitted with dual exhaust systems.
Although perhaps Ford were more responsible than most:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...&searchLimits= in May 1975 it was reported:
Quote:
"-The Ford Motor Company of Australia Ltd, which gave this evidence today, has made 59 recalls, since November, 1966

Last edited by aussiblue; 12-06-2018 at 06:37 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #54
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you aussie blue very interesting, had several coupes all with dual exhausts and mates in service for Ford at the time and was never aware of any recalls. Having said that i , and my mates with them, never had any such problems. Just goes to show how recalls are mostly handled differently today, but some manufacturers still avoid any responsibility if possible.
GT450
Old 13-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #55
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thank you aussie blue very interesting, had several coupes all with dual exhausts and mates in service for Ford at the time and was never aware of any recalls. Having said that i , and my mates with them, never had any such problems. Just goes to show how recalls are mostly handled differently today, but some manufacturers still avoid any responsibility if possible.
GT450

Perhaps it might also have been more of an issue in WA with our higher summer ambient temperatures. One of the self igniting fires here that preceded (and perhaps in part initiated) the recall also got a lot of TV coverage at the time.