Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > General Discussions

Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default The Moffat Coupes.

Where are they now? What happened to them? I'll start the ball rolling with what I believe and also leave plenty questions that may or may not be answered.

1973 - Allan Moffat and Fred Gibson are team mates at Bathurst. Moffat won in the #9 XA and Gibson in the #6 XA lasted around 17 laps before the engine died. The Bathurst winning #9 XA was destroyed in a huge prang at Phillip Island later in the year. What happened to the Gibson #6 XA???

1974 - Allan Moffat starts the year with a Brut 33 sponsored XB which was a fairly basic looking livery. Was this the ex Gibson #6 XA or was it a different car? Did this car become the famous "Project B52" Brut 33 car Moffat developed in the USA for Bathurst or was "Project B52" a completely new car?

1975 & 1976 - The Bathurst Brut 33 car becomes the Thorn Red #25 City Ford car. This car is destroyed in a transporter fire near Adelaide in 1976. RIP "Project B52". Moffat appears at Bathurst with a completely new car "Project Phoenix", an XB painted up in the famous Moffat Ford Dealers colours wearing #9. He dominates Bathurst for about 70 odd laps then has an engine pulley let go and cooks the motor.

1977 - The glory year. Colin Bond jumps ship and teams up with Moffat. They appear in a pair of XC's with the Moffat Ford Dealers livery. I believe the #1 car is the "Project Phoenix" XB with an XC front clip but what of the #2 car?? Where did this one come from?? Was it an all new car?? Was it the old Gibson XA heavily re-worked?? Anyway, the old 1-2 at Bathurst and we're still celebrating!!

1978 - The same cars with Cobra paintwork. Unfortunately not the best year for us!!

1979 - The #1 car becomes the #25 Federation Insurance car (The best looking Coupe ever to grace a track in my humble opinion). What happened to the #2 car?? I believe the car that Bond campaigned at Bathurst that year was not the #2 car. Any leads??

Afterwards - The #25 Federation Insurance bodyshell is rescued from a holding yard, restored in it's 1977 Bathurst winning spec and donated to the Bathurst motor racing museum. The #2 car is located and is now safe n' sound (in 1977 Bathurst spec) as part of the David Bowden collection.

So there you go. All you motorsport buffs get your detective gear on and see if anyone can come up with any answers. This is intended to be a friendly discussion so friendly disagreement is OK. Hostility and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Over to you........

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the 1973 fred gibson car was given to allan
the spare car was given to fred
allan would have started 1974 in the ex fred gibson car
the b52 was a brand new xb gt that was built in the states during 1974 and first raced at sandown of that year
maybe the no 2 bathurst placing car was the ex fred gibson car
there are plenty of rumours that the 1977 1-2 cars were xa's. i believe allan's car of that year had to be an xb as there were two brand new cars built as xb's (projects b52 and phoenix) and why if he had a 1976 build xb would he choose to race a 1973 build xa
as bearman has stated the cobras were the previous years coupes but allan's car had xc quarter panels fitted (weight saving perhaps) and that is why the bathurst museum car has horizontal indicators instead of the verticle ones that were on the vehicle in 1977

edit: it seems that project b52 was the ex fred gibson xa that was taken to the states and rebuilt

Last edited by gtxb67; 17-04-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: wrong info
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
as bearman has stated the cobras were the previous years coupes but allan's car had xc quarter panels fitted (weight saving perhaps) and that is why the bathurst museum car has horizontal indicators instead of the verticle ones that were on the vehicle in 1977
Hmmm..... Interesting. Suprising they'd go so far as to change the rear quarters. I really didn't notice the rear quarter indicators. Well spotted detective!!

Pics anyone?? Feel free to post up pics of the cars concerned. Keep the info comming.

Cheers.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Heres a pic I found of the Moffat GT

Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Hmmm..... Interesting. Suprising they'd go so far as to change the rear quarters. I really didn't notice the rear quarter indicators. Well spotted detective!!

Pics anyone?? Feel free to post up pics of the cars concerned. Keep the info comming.

Cheers.
the weird thing is, and another forum member pointed it out a few months ago, colin's car had the verticle indicators for sandown and bathurst. i had known allan's had the horizontal but did not know colin's still had xb quarters. off topic but still on a legend murray carter's 1978 xc had the verticle indicators, and probably most if not all, had verticle in 1977

Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Bearman

Detective Gary may be onto something with the rear quater panels being changed. Here's some pics of the '76 Project Phoenix XB and the Moffat team cars at Bathurst in '77

Any more info?? Pics?? Keep them comming!!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

The pic I posted is the car that is sitting in the Motor museum. I notice on the action shots the indicators are the other way....

Wonder what they did or why they changed the car??
Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
The pic I posted is the car that is sitting in the Motor museum. I notice on the action shots the indicators are the other way....

Wonder what they did or why they changed the car??
it seems that the quarter panels (on moff's car only) were changed for sandown '78. this was the first race in cobra colours. maybe to save weight???? it does seem that xc quarters are thinner than xb's. maybe it was to fool people into thinking it was an xc so they could run to cobra specifications - this is probably unlikely as bond's car still had the xb panels and cams would have known it was an xb gt anyway
check the pics in post 5 with the two cobra's and different quarter panels
Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
v8cars

Just reading back through AMC magazines and it says when the XB GT came in Moffat and Gibson were given the 2 ford XA GT works teams cars because the works team went out of business.

Moffat got the No.6 car raced by Gibson in 73 and Gibson got a test/spare car they had.

Moffat then changed the No.6 Gibson XA to the XB sheet metal and used the Brut 33 paint sceme for the 74 ATCC season.

Then it was sent to the US for the secret development thing and re-appeared in 75 for the 75 endurance season and was painted in red and gold colors.

Then it says Moffat ran it in the 76 ATCC series until it was destroyed in a race transporter fire on its way to ATCC round in Adelaide.

So i guess thats what happened to the No.6 XA of Fred Gibson's or from what i can tell any way.

Check out AMC magazine issues 20 and 26 thats were i got the info from.
v8cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
v8cars

Just read the Project B52 article and from i could tell it was the No.6 Fred Gibson XA GT they used.

It came back from the US in Sept 74 and must have been painted the blue color for the rest of the 74 season becuase it was painted the red and gold for the 75 season?....(from what i can tell any way)

Which means Project B52 was destroyed in the transporter fire as the red and gold city ford car. :(

AMC issue 4 for the article on Project B52.

I'am no expert on all this, it's just what i read so i could be wrong. :

I wasnt even born yet.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #11
v8cars

There's a story on project pheonix in AMC issue 26 but it does'nt say if Moffat put the XC front on it or if he got a hole new XC to use for the 77 season.

Looking at all these old race photos makes me want to turn my 2 coupes into bathurst replicars. :

I reckon they would look good painted up as the 1,2 bathurst XC's.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
20focus05
I wanna XR5

I had a guy the other night tell me that when the cars finnished the race they were given to some bloke who then put them away in a shed down in Langhorne Creek SA and are still ment to be there!!
I did not have the heart to tell him it was bullsh!t, but I was laughing on the inside LOL

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8cars
There's a story on project pheonix in AMC issue 26 but it does'nt say if Moffat put the XC front on it or if he got a hole new XC to use for the 77 season.
Prior to the 1977 Sandown 400, the Moffat XB Falcons were converted to Ford’s new XC series bodywork.

the above line was taken from allan moffat's website

also from reading his website, it does seem that fred gibson's no. 6 car was used for project b52. i had always believed that it was a brand new car. which then makes me wonder, that if moff used project phoenix at bathurst, was colin's a new car or just a shell made up from parts. the interior wasn't as much race ready as allan's. it was still fairly original i believe except for the drivers seat.

ideas anyone????

Last edited by gtxb67; 12-04-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 13-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
Bearman

I put in a google search on Allan Moffat looking for car pics. I followed a link to one of the websites and it stated that Colin Bonds #2 car was built at Moffat's Malvern workshop in late '76 to identical specs as "project Phoenix".

To me this would make sense rather than re-work a car that was originally an XA (The Gibson #6 car).

Like gtxb67, I always believed that "Project B52" was a brand new car and not an evolution of the ex Gibson XA.

Any more info anyone??? Keep it coming.

Old 13-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05
I had a guy the other night tell me that when the cars finnished the race they were given to some bloke who then put them away in a shed down in Langhorne Creek SA and are still ment to be there!!
I did not have the heart to tell him it was bullsh!t, but I was laughing on the inside LOL

Best one I've heard for a while!!

Old 23-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #16
blackwood
FiSTed

Hi guys,

From what I know and what has already been said...

* Ford works car No. 9 was destroyed in an accident at Phillip Island.

*When Ford shutdown the race team Moffat got Gibbo's works cars and Gibbo got the
Orange test car/spare car (This car was also the RPO83 prototype!)

*Moffat updated No.6 to XB specs and it then became car No. 33 with Brut sponsership.
Moffat then took this car to the US to be turned into a touring car weapon by Kar Kraft.
This was Project: B52.

*In 75 after the failure of B52 at Bathurst, Allan lost the Brut sponsership and the car became No. 9.
Moffat later gained sponsership from City Ford and the car was repainted in Thorn red with gold.

*After the transporter fire on the way to Adelaide, Allan got a new XB bodyshell from
Ford and started building a new race car...Project: Phoenix.

*Fast Foward to '77. Moffat Racing is now the 2 car Moffat Ford Dealer Team.
Ex-HDT ace Colin Bond is driving Phoenix and Allan has a new car.
The cars are campainged in the ATCC as XB GT's. Come ManChamps and both coupes
are update to XC's and are campainged as a Falcon 500 GS Evolution.

*Both cars are resprayed in Cobra paint schemes for '78.

*I'm not 100% sure but, I believe the '79 Federation car was XC No.1 although I have
been told it was Phoenix.

And that's the history of the Moffat coupes as I know it to be.
Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #17
Bearman

Hi Blackwood, thanks for the info. Most of it tallies with what I've heard.

Looks like the ex Gibson #6 XA did become the project B52 XB. I always believed B52 was a new car.

In '77 I thought the Moffat #1 car was Project Phoenix and that the Bond #2 car was a newie. Again, looks like it may have been the other way around.

Anyway, all good info!! Keep it coming....

Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #18
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

here is a framed picture set that my sister bought for me about 4 yrs ago paid about $300 for it number 30/33 personally signed by Allan Moffat

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
Bearman

Quote:
Looks like the ex Gibson #6 XA did become the project B52 XB. I always believed B52 was a new car.
Confirmed!! It DID become the B52 XB.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11270284
Refer Post #7.

Old 20-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #20
74xbkoop
74xbkoop

Here are a couple of photos taken on the weekend of the No1 car at the national museum. I might be mistaken but I thought I read somewhere that this car was not the actual car?

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...p/IMGP3376.jpg
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...p/IMGP3377.jpg
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...p/IMGP3370.jpg
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...p/IMGP3371.jpg
74xbkoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #21
Dan289

Smile Moffat Hardtops

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74xbkoop
Here are a couple of photos taken on the weekend of the No1 car at the national museum. I might be mistaken but I thought I read somewhere that this car was not the actual car?
Bathurst Museum is certainly the correct car, as "given" to them by Moffat. It's providence is unquestionable, even tho the whole rear quarter panel reflector issue has been challenging for some over the years. It is not quite how it finished the race in '77 but it is certainly the car Moffat raced from operation phoenix till the end of 1979 in Federation Livery.

Our car (Bond #2) is pretty interesting, one of two special lightweight race shells delivered to Moffat in late '76, both built up together and one sold to become the Everlast car, now in another collection in Qld.

The Bond car has no stamps or ID marks, other than the self stamped number which was applied by the Moffat team. There are numerous modifications all over the car, quite a few more than our original untouched Goss coupe from the same period. Bond raced this car in Moffat Dealer team colours and then later in Cobra XC colours. It was sold in 1979 and the driveline was removed and replaced with that from a road going XD V8 owned by Christine Cole. It lived for a long time after that in a collection in SA. We acquired the car a few years ago and it has been slowly getting put back to how it ran at Bathurst in '77. Running gear is now the the spare from Moffat's federation XD, which had the driveline from the Federation XC....

When I get time I will sit down and compile what we know and write an article for our new website, its a huge and fantastic story, just need to get the car finished first.

Great pics, a few I have not seen, if anyone has any more of the Bond car in Ford dealer or Cobra livery, I really would love to see them, please post here or email to me dan@bowdensown.com.au

Sorry if I do not reply to any questions that promptly, we are busy getting ready for MCM next week. Hope to see a few of your there.

Cheers,
Dan
Dan289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #22
Bearman

Great info Dan, thanks heaps for posting that up!!

Got any pics??

Cheers.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #23
Dan289

Quote:
Great info Dan, thanks heaps for posting that up!!

Got any pics??

Cheers.
Cheers,
the only pics I would have right now of the car are not worth posting. it is sitting in our main workshop, with no engine or driveline, waiting for us to get the time to put it all back together... It will be happening, hopefully next year!

Dan
Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #24
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan289
Our car (Bond #2) is pretty interesting, one of two special lightweight race shells delivered to Moffat in late '76, both built up together and one sold to become the Everlast car, now in another collection in Qld.

The Bond car has no stamps or ID marks, other than the self stamped number which was applied by the Moffat team. There are numerous modifications all over the car, quite a few more than our original untouched Goss coupe from the same period. Bond raced this car in Moffat Dealer team colours and then later in Cobra XC colours. It was sold in 1979 and the driveline was removed and replaced with that from a road going XD V8 owned by Christine Cole. It lived for a long time after that in a collection in SA. We acquired the car a few years ago and it has been slowly getting put back to how it ran at Bathurst in '77. Running gear is now the the spare from Moffat's federation XD, which had the driveline from the Federation XC....

Not 100% sure if this is the same car, but I can remember seeing one of the ex Moffat / Bond cars in the early 90's.
I was working at a Ford dealership in Adelaide at the time and spotted an XC Cobra race car on a truck being unloaded in our yard. Naturally I went for a sticky beak! From memory it was in cobra colours, with number 2 on it and had Bond and some other name on the rear spoiler. I do remember being disappointed with the standard looking engine it had.
The Business Manager was good friends with the Rainsfords (mad car collectors) and I think the car had just been bought by them. Pretty sure I saw the car a few months later doing laps of the circuit at the AGP in Adelaide, but it had been redone in the '77 race colours.
Does any of this fit in with your knowledge of the car you have Dan?
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
greenjgs

Hi Guys

Another piece of the puzzle, the car in Federation Insurance colours, rolling shell only, was dropped at AAAA Ford parts in Waterdale Rd, West Heidleberg around 1983. Myself and 2 friends tried unsucessfully to buy it at that time. I have seen a pic on the web of it in the yard. The pic was dated 1985 0r 6 from memory which is incorrect but does prove that it was there. More to add to the story Dan.

Cheers Graeme
greenjgs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
Dan289

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Not 100% sure if this is the same car, but I can remember seeing one of the ex Moffat / Bond cars in the early 90's.
I was working at a Ford dealership in Adelaide at the time and spotted an XC Cobra race car on a truck being unloaded in our yard. Naturally I went for a sticky beak! From memory it was in cobra colours, with number 2 on it and had Bond and some other name on the rear spoiler. I do remember being disappointed with the standard looking engine it had.
The Business Manager was good friends with the Rainsfords (mad car collectors) and I think the car had just been bought by them. Pretty sure I saw the car a few months later doing laps of the circuit at the AGP in Adelaide, but it had been redone in the '77 race colours.
Does any of this fit in with your knowledge of the car you have Dan?
That was certainly our Bond coupe,Rainsfords had it, later ended up with John Blandon where is was resprayed over the Cobra livery, the lines of the Cobra stripes are still in the current Moffat/ Ford Dealer Team livery.

Not sure of the paint changed timeline as I am writing here, but your story fits in with the car for sure.

Its a special old girl and I look forward to having it finished and at events in the near future.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 18-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #27
Dan289

A quick preview I just took yesterday of the Bond # 2. We are pulling our finger out and getting the car ready for the Top Gear event in Sydney next year. It is going to be on display with the Moffat # 1 car, amongst a few other signifcant Bathurst machines from our and other collections. Should be good!

Anyhow, the image of the girl about to get the heart tranplant is on our Bowden's Own Facebook page

Feel free to add us if you have a facebook account? An easy way to keep updated with what's happening in the sheds.

Cheers,
Dan
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #28
Coupe de Car
Starter Motor

Default Under the bonnet Moff's Xb at Bathurst Museum

On the fathers day weekend back in 2002 my twin sons their mate my wife and I went for a Coupeaque to Mount Panorama Circuit and Museum. While there I took plenty of images of the Moffat Falcon, now I haven't seen any under the bonnet pics anywhere online, so I will post the ones I have here. (Hopefully)
FRONT :

SIDE :

SIDE :

BODY

BODY :

BODY :

The reason for detailed pics is the project coupe that i'm starting work on yesterday!! I want One just like MOFFAT'S!!
WILL HAVE TO START A THREAD FOR MY XB COUPE RESTORATION ON A TIGHT BUDGET!
Cheers "Coupe De Car"
Coupe de Car is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #29
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe de Car
I want One just like MOFFAT'S!!
it should be a great project
just remember, if you are replicating the 77 bathurst winner, you will need verticle repeaters on the quarter panels
when the car was painted as a cobra, moff changed the repeaters to horizontal as they are in your pics
Old 29-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #30
Coupe de Car
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
if you are replicating the 77 bathurst winner, you will need verticle repeaters on the quarter panels
when the car was painted as a cobra, moff changed the repeaters to horizontal as they are in your pics
I actually want to replicat the Xb #1 ATCC 1976, but just looking it also had verticals, my XB coupe has Horizontals (some body cutting mods required) see my coupe image at ***http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/y...rama031.jpg***
Coupe de Car is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post