Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #61
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Future of Car Collecting

It's all about who is going to buy what and who can afford it and is it truly worth keeping, a mate has a VC Brock, now the insurance cost he has to fork out must be kept in mine and all, so is it truly worth it for him to keep, now he may like the car and that is another reason why he keeps it as well.
But do we truly make money on our cars, I don't think so.
Look at inflation, one must factor that in as well not just the price that you bought it for and not to mention payed cash for it and have no other investments that are costing you interest.

My Brother said back in 1985 complaining that a HQ GTS was for sale, saying that they were not even that price from new, he could not understand it, I said inflation you idiot, the car still has lost it's true value in reality you know.
Look here a new base FX Holden in 1950 was $2069
1953 FJ $2046
1956 FE $2262
1958 FC $2282
1960 FB $2204
1961 EK $2214
1962 EJ $2102
1963 EH $2102
1965 HD $2140
1966 HR $2140
1968 HK $2215
1969 HT $2326
1970 HG $2370
1972 HQ $2730
1974 HJ $3580 = 31% more than a HQ
1976 HX $5186 = 45% more than a HJ
1978 HZ $6377
1980 VC $7902
1982 VH $9066 = 15% more than a VB
1984 VK $1.1152 = 23% more than a VH
Then we have to factor in all the rest and average workers pay in Hours to buy such at the times as well.

I remember that as a contractor from 1973 to 1983 we charged maybe 20% more over that time when a car went up 200%

So what I came across was many people back in the days of 1950's to even 1980 still did not understand inflation.
I would point out such things in 1980 and people would go mental rejecting such is true, I would say that we have to charge as to keep up with inflation every 3 months or we are fooling ourselves. they wanted me to shut up or treat to bash me up.

I believe it cost one twice as much in Hours worked to buy a FX than it did for one to buy a HR, but the dollar value was much the same. but one could be much the same Hours worked in the years ahead but the dollar value has gone way up.
So one has to think is such a way as well, now average wages will drop in the future, the way this Nation is heading we will be like China before long and who could afford a car let alone have another.

So what to invest in, something only the rich will want and the rest just forget it as an investment. but a passion.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #62
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
That was a very informative post Mick,and true too!
In 1969 I was on $18.00 per week as a first year apprentice,the tradesmen were on $70.00 per week.
I still remember my lunch ( fish and chips ) was 15cents, that sounds unbelievable today,but what you could buy for a dollar was amazing.

I was always told to work out how many minutes it took on the standard wage to earn enough to buy a loaf of bread?
They reckon it works out the correct inflation rate always.

But I enjoyed reading your post,very thoughtful.

Cheers Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #63
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Knowles View Post
We all know car acquisition, collecting and values are so dependant on finances. The baby boomers who lived through the seventies, married early and achieved financial security early could purchase some great optioned cars at reasonable prices. I have owned a T3 TE50 for 11 years now and I do hesitate to park it and drive places, but if I was sensible I would have sold it and bought a dual cab. I would rather put kms on the clock than sell it, because we can’t all afford a stable of cars, I’m still the proud owner of a rare factory performance car. Lucky I decided to keep it as I’ve enjoyed it’s comfort and performance and guess what. I paid $27,000 for it in 2007 with 53k on the clock and now it’s got 160km. Work out what it now owes me. You know what killed the Aussie car market. Husbands allowing their wives to buy SUV’s. My 16 yr old daughter drove my TE50 for the first time on her L’s after driving the Pajero and she fell in love with the comfort and performance and soon after asked me if she could inherit it. I suggest we let our young ones experience these classics if we want the next generation to cherish our current pride and joys.
Good post Paul, same thing has happened here with ED Sprint, our son has experienced the character of a manual V8 Australian muscle car in his formative driving, and learned to treat the power with respect. Given the chance I think this younger generation (Z) will collect cars rather than phones unlike those slightly older. The cars will be a measure of success which they are working toward. And, they have had GTA5 and seen the image of 10 car garages as having "made it" in the urban jungle of Los Santos...

As for husbands letting wives decide, this is true, lucky Ford had the Territory, kept the factory going that bit longer.

Mick great post, hardly anyone realises that the currency they are paid in and use is being deliberatley eroded every year as more loans are written... (fractional reserve lending increasing fiat currency supply)
Old 21-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #64
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So a bit of a bump to thread,
Looking for FG2 XR6 locally with young one as first car, a couple of things noticed. First of all, the car is a sound choice, lots of safety, size, rugged reliable mechanicals - but we all know that here on these forums.
Secondly, they are thin on the ground! Didn't see one in the dealers, quite a few FG1 with 150-200km, local Ford had no Falcons
Was informed people are hanging on to this model - already...Dealers reckon good low k's examples are clearing really quickly, and just as hard to find in wholesale. Manuals extra quick. "They are going up in price" - seems a bit crazy to hear this, as car depreciation tends to go on much longer than their age at present.

Are people hoarding everyday late model Falcons already?
Old 21-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #65
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
I say b series fpv and XR series will really be loved in the years ahead, plus all the forced induction models, barra turbo6 and super8.

Buy now as they are getting rarer and rarer (a good one)

When all the scrappy examples hit the junk yards and the mint cars remain, everyone will want one.
They will be collectable for sure in the years ahead as will all (to varying degrees) coveted Falcons with heritage imo.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #66
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Supercharged V8 and Turbo F6 FPV only. Take it to the bank
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #67
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Seems like any 70's Falcon or Kingswood are being scooped up by collectors now.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #68
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

My next car will either be an AUIII XR8 or a BA/F XR6 Turbo - with a manual transmission! Will either of these cars become collectable and/or increase in value? I don't know but I have never owned a v8 or boosted car and I have lusted over both of these cars for years.

There are a lot of Aussie Fords I would like to collect. Whether or not they are desirable to other people is basically irrelevant to me.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #69
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
My next car will either be an AUIII XR8 or a BA/F XR6 Turbo - with a manual transmission! Will either of these cars become collectable and/or increase in value? I don't know but I have never owned a v8 or boosted car and I have lusted over both of these cars for years.

There are a lot of Aussie Fords I would like to collect. Whether or not they are desirable to other people is basically irrelevant to me.
i think AU/BA are in will be in 10 years time still, the next ones to go up will be E series and VN-VS dunnydores

if there is any stock clean original EB/EL tickfords or ghia's and VN/VS SS or HSV's they will be the next $20k car so get on them now!

the EB 5.0 Ghia with full leather and stock 16in mags is my pics for near future classic that you can still buy for less then $5k if you can find one or a VN 5.0l Calais, get one that needs some love while parts are still available and buy the time its restored it will be a $10-15+ car (my opinion only)

i think they really need to be 25-30 years old to be a collectible,
i still have 15 years of mothballing my BA GT to see its value go up but the HX holden is already a $20k+ car i just need to spend another $10k on it first
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #70
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The profitable return you might get from a sort after AU, BA or FG in 15 or 20 years can only be truly realized if you mothball the car today, don't drive it, and don't pay the yearly registration or keep it insured.

15 years of indexed for inflation registration and insurance costs would be a minimum of $1,500 a year = $22,500.
20 years would be $30,000 plus.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #71
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
The profitable return you might get from a sort after AU, BA or FG in 15 or 20 years can only be truly realized if you mothball the car today, don't drive it, and don't pay the yearly registration or keep it insured.

15 years of indexed for inflation registration and insurance costs would be a minimum of $1,500 a year = $22,500.
20 years would be $30,000 plus.
i parked my BA GT up last year but its comes out to play every year but not daily driven and its insured for laid up, if i keep it 15 years unused and garaged but keep the servicing up to date its will cost $6k then there is the cost of the car to add and I will gain $11k just in inflation based on 3%.
so if the car doesn't go up $17k in value over that period its not worth it

so its not worth mothballing a generic car as its just not going to up that much. i'm hoping a 1of1 colour GT will be worth it but i'm not selling it, I want to keep it and put it back on the road once my daughter is ready to learn to drive, i loved learning to drive a v8 manual kingswood and cooper S mini and I want her to experience that too

p.s. we had quite a few collector cars and bikes in my family but we are not collectors, we just like them and we didn't get them to collect or make money, if they are worth similar money when we sell them that's a bonus
cars we have:

'03 BA GT 1of1
'76 HX 50th Anniversay
'80 Suzuki GS1000ST
'65 HR Special Wagon
'76 mini clubman
'70 XW Wagon
'66 XP sedan
'83 XE Spac
'76 2x RX4's

non of them were bought to collect, only to drive and build as projects
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #72
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i think AU/BA are in will be in 10 years time still, the next ones to go up will be E series and VN-VS dunnydores

if there is any stock clean original EB/EL tickfords or ghia's and VN/VS SS or HSV's they will be the next $20k car so get on them now!

the EB 5.0 Ghia with full leather and stock 16in mags is my pics for near future classic that you can still buy for less then $5k if you can find one or a VN 5.0l Calais, get one that needs some love while parts are still available and buy the time its restored it will be a $10-15+ car (my opinion only)

i think they really need to be 25-30 years old to be a collectible,
i still have 15 years of mothballing my BA GT to see its value go up but the HX holden is already a $20k+ car i just need to spend another $10k on it first
I would love an EB/D XR6 with 5 speed manual. Might get one of those before the AU or BA/F.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post