Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #1
XR8AUIII
Starter Motor

Default Ford AU XR8 Values

Hey guys,

Before you rush into selling your nice AU XR8 just be mindful that prices on these are moving right up. Especially if you have a series 3 manual. They are hard to come by, and very hard to find low klm examples under 100k. There is nothing on the road that looks as aggressive. Even the Mustangs dont stack up against good examples. I am a current owner of the series 3 5sp with only 55k and have been keeping an eye on the market for some years. I have been offered good money but didn't take it. Look at all those old classics for sale, the money there asking and getting is phenomenal. Time will tell what will fetch in the future, but in the meantime think about the value you place on your prize possession there ain't that many about, but where very fortunate for parts we may need in the future.

Cheers
XR8AUIII
XR8AUIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2021, 11:31 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford AU XR8 Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8AUIII View Post
Hey guys,

Before you rush into selling your nice AU XR8 just be mindful that prices on these are moving right up. Especially if you have a series 3 manual. They are hard to come by, and very hard to find low klm examples under 100k. There is nothing on the road that looks as aggressive. Even the Mustangs dont stack up against good examples. I am a current owner of the series 3 5sp with only 55k and have been keeping an eye on the market for some years. I have been offered good money but didn't take it. Look at all those old classics for sale, the money there asking and getting is phenomenal. Time will tell what will fetch in the future, but in the meantime think about the value you place on your prize possession there ain't that many about, but where very fortunate for parts we may need in the future.

Cheers
XR8AUIII
I'm as big as an AU fan as the next fan.

I think what made AUs desirable was that they were good bang for buck. You could buy a performance V8 Falcon for under $10,000.

Now that they are getting up in value they have lost that part of their desirability. Don't get me wrong, they are a great car and while certainly not the most powerful, they are a great driver's car.

I don't have sour grapes either, I bought a 220kW manual with leather, sunroof and momo steering wheel and gear knob only a couple of years ago for less than half the price they are going for now. It has a few mods such as BF XR turbo brakes and rebel wheels but nothing that can't be returned to standard if need be. Mine does have very high ks though.

I also own a manual VCT XR6 ute with a body kit and momo steering wheel and a auto VCT XR6 sedan. I have a Forte wagon that is for commuting and carrying the dog around in.

Funny thing is, my favourite one is the ute.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 12:21 AM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

As much as I love seeing and hearing that AU XR8's are in demand and hitting the popularity stakes more so as the years go on, I dread these post's only because it's only a mater of time until (Hulk) I mean Fiji chimes in with his (dribble) thoughts!!.

Only joking Hulk, we love ya mate, you keep the AU fold interesting and in the eyes of the beloved we know deep down that you actually admire such cars, who couldn't love the ugly duckling or have a soft spot for them, even if it has to bow down to the likes of , lets say a late model Aurion/oyota...

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know anyone who would actually fork put the $ people are asking right now when 3 years ago they were less than half the price.
As much as i love au xrs, id take a ba or bf gt for the same money, or add another 5 grand and get a ts50.
Comparing au values to that of classics is pretty stupid. Classics steadily rise over time, with large fan bases consisting of people who have a tonne of money.
Au xrs on the other hand shot up inline with covid tax, and im yet to see a regular one with regular kays get stupid money.
As with anything pristine examples will bring more, but i wouldn't bet on it staying so high for much longer. So if you were planning to cash in, I'd be doing it now and hoping you find someone to pay the big bucks before the *** falls out of them.
Ive had 3 au xr8s and theyre not the easiest car to sell even when reasonably priced.
My 2c
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2021, 02:15 AM   #5
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
I dont know anyone who would actually fork put the $ people are asking right now when 3 years ago they were less than half the price.
As much as i love au xrs, id take a ba or bf gt for the same money, or add another 5 grand and get a ts50.
Comparing au values to that of classics is pretty stupid. Classics steadily rise over time, with large fan bases consisting of people who have a tonne of money.
Au xrs on the other hand shot up inline with covid tax, and im yet to see a regular one with regular kays get stupid money.
As with anything pristine examples will bring more, but i wouldn't bet on it staying so high for much longer. So if you were planning to cash in, I'd be doing it now and hoping you find someone to pay the big bucks before the *** falls out of them.
Ive had 3 au xr8s and theyre not the easiest car to sell even when reasonably priced.
My 2c

100% agree. They’re a niche market car, and always will be.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think that for so long as petrol is readily available and some degree of free personal movement is allowed, these will climb in value (based on originality of theme and mileage). “Personalised” ones will fall away.

Yes, there will be corrections but the resting point of values will remain further elevated after each rally-and-slump.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I think that for so long as petrol is readily available and some degree of free personal movement is allowed, these will climb in value (based on originality of theme and mileage). “Personalised” ones will fall away.

Yes, there will be corrections but the resting point of values will remain further elevated after each rally-and-slump.
Hey you never know, even after petrol, people might still want certain petrol cars, because elec. motor conversions are already being sold.

GM has one for example, it even has the GM transmission bellhousing and will bolt to peoples existing transmission.

The personal movement is one to worry about, yes. I suspect the self appointed technocrats/globalists dont want the plebs moving around as much in the future. (they will still have their gulfstreams of course)
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an Au Xr8 Series 3, 5 speed with low klm’s and love watching these cars going up dramatically in price of late. Most of them aren’t even S3’s, 5 speeds which is even better for the factory manual AU’s. You have too love a Ford.

Cheers guys, enjoy.
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Been a fair few on carsales for a few months now at 18k plus and they haven't moved. 16-18k seems the going rate at the moment for a clean S3 manual with 100,000km plus on it.

Those that have examples with under 70km on them and are S3 manuals do fetch a pretty penny and seems 25-30k for immacualte ones is the going rate

But getting realistic, most cars are not investments. These cars also need to be driven or will start costing money later on. I have my S3 XR8 stored at the moment but get it out for a good drive every 3 months. I also don't see it as an investment at all. The only reason I didn't sell was because I know later down the track I would never find one again in the condition it's in for under 20k, and I don't want to start again later down the track. Especially when it doesn't really owe me much.

I've recently seen two manual Pursuit 250's sell for $36,000 and $37,5000 respectively. Both manual, both blueprint and both with 100km on the clock. I know both the owners so can confirm the sale price. My P250 has the same specs as the ones that sold. I'll have no issues selling my Pursuit 250 if the value goes to 45k, i'll buy a mustang.

See for me, I love my AU's, especially my P250 that i spent years looking for. Do i think it's worth $37500 though, no way. There is no way I would pay $37500 for one. I bought my AU's as at the time they were great performance cars for the money. For what good ones are selling for now, there is no way i'd buy one, but that's me.

I also sold my manual T3 TE50 last year as when I had my S3 XR8 beside it, I just didn't see the extra 20-25k price difference in it. Sure the 5.6 in the T3 was great but it just didnt feel like it was a car that was worth 25k more than the XR8. Take away the nostalgia of owning a T series there just wasn't that much difference between the both to justify keeping it.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #10
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2001 Tickford XR8 Rebel Auto 217,581 km $27,500
Not worth 27k but that is what they are asking.

https://www.australianmusclecarsales...8-rebel-244302
Old 07-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #11
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And another from the same site. More than likely hoping to cash in on the price boom of local Aussie muscle cars.

https://www.australianmusclecarsales...8-220kw-244240
Old 08-02-2021, 01:26 AM   #12
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Have to be mad to pay $27.5k for one with 200,000+ km. You can buy a decent E90 M3 or C63 AMG for $35k.

There's a AUI XR8 on Loyds auctions at the moment
https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...45&lid=2672285
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
Have to be mad to pay $27.5k for one with 200,000+ km. You can buy a decent E90 M3 or C63 AMG for $35k.

There's a AUI XR8 on Loyds auctions at the moment
https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...45&lid=2672285
Problem is owners who see them priced at 27.5k, and think well if that 100,000km one is worth that much, then so is my 200,000 km + one

It simply doesn't work like that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #14
Neo_nick
Tidy Weekender

A Black Manual Rebel with 180k kms sold in hours for $17.5k on Friday
It did need paint as well

Manuals seem to be where the money is at

Personally, rebels are justa sticker pack and not that collectible IMHO. No numbered build and anyone with an s3 could make theirs look like a rebel.

Tickford Enhanced Car Club
Neo_nick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #15
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys,

At the end of the day, they are worth what people are willing to pay.

Cheers
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2021, 11:56 PM   #16
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

People are definately paying for manuals now. Even the formerly unloved AU series 1. This one went for $14500 at auction, 200,000km and looked pretty clean in the pics. A couple of years ago you'd struggle to get 5k for it

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...15&lid=2700828
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #17
tbro4123

Interesting!

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/b...ZE8lkG_kt5Qg80
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post