Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #10261
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Why the f*** are they still putting Covid negative arrivals, right next to CONFIRMED Covid positive cases?? Have they not learnt anything after all this time yet??

Western Australia premier Mark McGowan on Friday afternoon revealed the Victorian patient arrived in Perth on April 3 from Shanghai on flight SQ223.

He was located in the room alongside an infectious family from the United Kingdom and opposite an infectious couple from India.

The man returned a negative result on day 12 of hotel quarantine before he was released on 17 April.

He spent five days in Perth before leaving for Melbourne on April 21.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronav...ee77bb8be82961

So you leave X country attempting to avoid infection, arrive in Australia, pay $3000 for hotel quarantine, only to be infected anyway!
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #10262
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Why the f*** are they still putting Covid negative arrivals, right next to CONFIRMED Covid positive cases?? Have they not learnt anything after all this time yet??

Western Australia premier Mark McGowan on Friday afternoon revealed the Victorian patient arrived in Perth on April 3 from Shanghai on flight SQ223.

He was located in the room alongside an infectious family from the United Kingdom and opposite an infectious couple from India.

The man returned a negative result on day 12 of hotel quarantine before he was released on 17 April.

He spent five days in Perth before leaving for Melbourne on April 21.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronav...ee77bb8be82961

So you leave X country attempting to avoid infection, arrive in Australia, pay $3000 for hotel quarantine, only to be infected anyway!
Begs the question why governments are still using Hotels for quarantine when they were not designed for this function and proven to failure.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #10263
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Ah right, that makes more sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
First world problems......
Just as well I don't get paid to post here. If I made such a mistake at work (I'm a programmer) it could be a big problem
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #10264
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Begs the question why governments are still using Hotels for quarantine when they were not designed for this function and proven to failure.
100% Agree. But surely they can have separate hotel(s) for people who are positive or test positive at the first local test, and separate hotel(s) for people who are negative or test negative at the first local test??

As flawed as the hotel quarantine system maybe, there was no choice for most states (except NT, which has Howard Springs facility). The system had to be set up overnight basically. Can you believe the PM arrived for the national cabinet meeting in early 2020 to discuss the repatriation of Australian citizens, with absolutely zero plans whatsoever on how to go about it??

It is said that the idea of using hotels was put forward by Daniel Andrews as a quick, but not ideal solution. I've read that most states would like to move to NT's Howard Springs style of facility (federally funded). Except for one state. Guess which state that could be?
Old 23-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #10265
nstg8a

I wonder how many hotels have been saved from bankruptcy by being a quarantine hotel.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #10266
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Vic and QLD move any positives into hospital or a dedicated health hotel. Goes to the heart of the failure of state based decisions. Why they cannot agree on an obvious best practice after a year is just beyond me.

Old 23-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #10267
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of cases and another lockdown in WA. Full blown overreaction of course.

The sooner people get jabbed we can avoid this ****.
Old 24-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #10268
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
A couple of cases and another lockdown in WA. Full blown overreaction of course.

The sooner people get jabbed we can avoid this ****.
My parents 60th wedding anniversary get-together down Queenscliff next weekend. I've got that ominous feeling again...
Old 24-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #10269
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bet Cindy would be the first to burst the Trans Tasman bubble but all credit to McGowan
Old 24-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #10270
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got my first Astra shot Thursday with only a 24 hour wait from booking, a little over 2 weeks after my flu shot. A little fatigue yesterday but nothing that stopped me from a regular Friday day.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
Old 24-04-2021, 11:17 AM   #10271
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Got to love the anti-vaxxers! Among the many idiotic theories they have come up with since this pandemic started, the one that Bill Gates masterminded the pandemic in order to implant microchips into humans along with a COVID vaccine, so that the 'powers at be' can monitor you 24/7, has had to be addressed by the Australian government.

https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...%20our%20cells.

Yep, get the Covid-19 vaccine, and you will be connected to 5G 24/7!

It’s bizarre that the government of Australia needed to address such bull****. But I guess the "special" people need all the help they can get.
Old 24-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #10272
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842 View Post
Got my first Astra shot Thursday with only a 24 hour wait from booking, a little over 2 weeks after my flu shot.
DRU842, can you check to see if your mobile signal strength has improved since Thursday please?

Asking for a friend.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #10273
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Got to love the anti-vaxxers! Among the many idiotic theories they have come up with since this pandemic started, the one that Bill Gates masterminded the pandemic in order to implant microchips into humans along with a COVID vaccine, so that the 'powers at be' can monitor you 24/7, has had to be addressed by the Australian government.

It’s bizarre that the government of Australia needed to address such bull****. But I guess the "special" people need all the help they can get.

Have you seen the crap people watch on tv? It's no surprise to me that there is a large portion of the public that has no brains. Rubbish in rubbish out as they say
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 24-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #10274
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 23rd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

38 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.072%. That's the highest daily case numbers since 2/1/21.

No new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.000% and active cases 32.

The UK had a lower 2,678 cases yesterday and 40 deaths.

Just over 67k new cases in the USA yesterday and 955 deaths sees CMR at 1.788%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 146M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Global cases set a new daily high of 893,546;
Asia sets a new daily high of 484,733 cases;
Asia passes 36M cases;
South America passes 24M cases;
India passes 16M cases;
India sets a new global record for daily cases (345,147);

Guyana (214);
Cambodia (655);
Cuba
(1,241);
Thailand (2,070);
Paraguay (2,752);
Kazakhstan (2,894);and
India
(345,147)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Malaysia moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while North Macedonia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 24-04-2021 at 01:50 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #10275
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I will let you know if I start hearing voices in my head after I get the jab next Friday, hey I like the idea of free internet in my head
Old 24-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #10276
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another 3 cases of clots "likely" linked to AZ. 1.1m AZ administered so far.

So that is now ~1 in 180,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...zeneca-vaccine

"New South Wales has seen a 70 to 80 per cent increase in 'no shows' and appointment cancellations from frontline healthcare workers following the announcement regarding the safety of the AstraZeneca vaccine for certain age groups."

Statement can be a bit misleading. Its a 70-80% "increase". Would be interesting to see what the base number was and what age group e.g. If 10 people cancelled previously, then 7 more is not really a worry. But if we are talking 100s or 1000s, and people over 50, then its going to be a huge issue.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...8452754c8bab1c
Old 24-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #10277
Bossxr8
Peter Car

How have they come to the conclusion AZ is safe for over 50's? One was 49, and another was in their 80's. If anything, it seems just as likely for people over, or very close to 50, than it is people younger.

Or is it more a case of they don't care if people over 50 get blood clots, cause they are more likely to die of covid?
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #10278
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...c95d6e696b8750
I always had the feeling that India would be one place that would cop it big time.....
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #10279
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I always had the feeling that India would be one place that would cop it big time.....
It's an absolute tragedy, and as the article states god knows what's happening out in country side where communication is not the best. Was reading an article about how an oxygen leak in one hospital in India shut down the supply for only 35mins and 22 died as a result.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #10280
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
How have they come to the conclusion AZ is safe for over 50's? One was 49, and another was in their 80's. If anything, it seems just as likely for people over, or very close to 50, than it is people younger.

Or is it more a case of they don't care if people over 50 get blood clots, cause they are more likely to die of covid?
I heard one interview with a doc, it is not that there is any difference, it is just the risk factor is worth it. Once aver 50 every decade your chances of Covid being critical increases, so the risk of covid killing you increases while the clot risk remains the same, they have decided that 50 is a point where it is clearly better to get a vaccine in short time.

If Pfizer was available, they would probably bin the AZ. If they wait for enough Pfizer, way more over 50's could die than the 40-50 who statistically may succumb to clots. They are effectively saying that young people can wait.

2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #10281
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I heard one interview with a doc, it is not that there is any difference, it is just the risk factor is worth it. Once aver 50 every decade your chances of Covid being critical increases, so the risk of covid killing you increases while the clot risk remains the same, they have decided that 50 is a point where it is clearly better to get a vaccine in short time.

If Pfizer was available, they would probably bin the AZ. If they wait for enough Pfizer, way more over 50's could die than the 40-50 who statistically may succumb to clots. They are effectively saying that young people can wait.
Yup. There was a video of professor Cheng explaining how they chose 50 as the cut off point, but I can't find it now. There was some sort of probability formula applied. He also said, if there was an outbreak, then they would need to re-model and the number might change.
Old 24-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #10282
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Wow, this isn't good. Didn't realise the US had a ban on exporting raw materials needed for vaccines?! India has made a plea for the ban to be lifted, but its been rejected

‘Americans first’: US cites domestic priorities to reject India’s vaccine plea

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82219452.cms
Old 24-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #10283
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

An update on the VIC situation.

The Department has contacted all 265 individuals from this flight, including passengers, crew and ground crew, using information obtained from comprehensive flight manifest data, and border permits.

Testing is underway for people linked to the flight. So far, 49 have returned negative test results.

If you were on this flight, you must isolate, get tested and remain isolated for 14 days – unless otherwise formally advised by the Department of Health.

49 out of 265 since three days ago. Obviously the other 216 people have not been tested yet, and if so what is the hold up if they have all been contacted?
3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #10284
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
An update on the VIC situation.

The Department has contacted all 265 individuals from this flight, including passengers, crew and ground crew, using information obtained from comprehensive flight manifest data, and border permits.

Testing is underway for people linked to the flight. So far, 49 have returned negative test results.

If you were on this flight, you must isolate, get tested and remain isolated for 14 days – unless otherwise formally advised by the Department of Health.

49 out of 265 since three days ago. Obviously the other 216 people have not been tested yet, and if so what is the hold up if they have all been contacted?
I have had three tests, quickest result 25 hrs, slowest 33 hrs. One guy at work got a result in 10 hrs, some night as a morning test. I think you will find most of these people will have been tested, i would expect to see most of them in tomorrow’s figures

3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #10285
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If there really are significant numbers of people backing out, maybe it’s time for a standby list open via pre-registration to all comers, FIBD. I’ve encountered a surprising number of people who consider whatever risk is appended to their situation, to be worthwhile. They want to get vaccinated and travel freely again.
Old 25-04-2021, 01:54 AM   #10286
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
If there really are significant numbers of people backing out, maybe it’s time for a standby list open via pre-registration to all comers, FIBD. I’ve encountered a surprising number of people who consider whatever risk is appended to their situation, to be worthwhile. They want to get vaccinated and travel freely again.
Yep, they are already unofficially kinda doing that in melb. My dad couldn't wait for his gp, got itchy feet, so he rang around a few sites and found one that had doses but no takers, so they were happy to give it to him. Then when his gp called him to take the shot and he said he already had it, his gp said he actually jumped the queue

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 25-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #10287
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Yep, they are already unofficially kinda doing that in melb. My dad couldn't wait for his gp, got itchy feet, so he rang around a few sites and found one that had doses but no takers, so they were happy to give it to him. Then when his gp called him to take the shot and he said he already had it, his gp said he actually jumped the queue
?? Sounds like a butt hurt GP to me, not a hundred % sure about Vic but up here in Bundy QLD there is no requirement to go to your GP, but if you want to and they are booked out you are free to go anywhere that has openings, or hang around and wait for your GP, no pressure. As long as you are eligible you can get vaccinated anywhere that has bookings available, no suggestion of queue jumping at all.

I used the online Vaccine Eligibility Checker to check eligibility and make a booking, my GP is booked out but the checker found me another clinic which turns out to be closer, 10am Tuesday i go for my first shot.

https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.g...bility?lang=en

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 25-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #10288
HIPO
Al

For peeps in Melbourne wanting a jab, i see the clinic across from Crown C. is always almost completely empty. This is gonna be a huge rip to the Aussie tax payer as we PAY homage to big Pharma.....

Yep DJR, doc was but hurt, as i suppose? he wouldve got a cut of the jab money, like so many countries do.
Old 25-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #10289
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
?? Sounds like a butt hurt GP to me, not a hundred % sure about Vic but up here in Bundy QLD there is no requirement to go to your GP, but if you want to and they are booked out you are free to go anywhere that has openings, or hang around and wait for your GP, no pressure. As long as you are eligible you can get vaccinated anywhere that has bookings available, no suggestion of queue jumping at all.

I used the online Vaccine Eligibility Checker to check eligibility and make a booking, my GP is booked out but the checker found me another clinic which turns out to be closer, 10am Tuesday i go for my first shot.

https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.g...bility?lang=en
Nah it wasn't said is a nasty manner, just that they had one for him, and mum was supposed to get it before he did. I reckon GPs actually wouldn't mind if you went elsewhere, because the amount they get reimbursed from the Feds is barely enough to cover their cost

I was however a bit iffy with him shopping around, because they wouldn't have had his medical history, and he is the kind of person who can be a bit vague and not give all the important details sometimes. But, I have learnt, when a old fart wants to do something, you can't really stop them.
Old 25-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #10290
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Nah it wasn't said is a nasty manner, just that they had one for him, and mum was supposed to get it before he did. I reckon GPs actually wouldn't mind if you went elsewhere, because the amount they get reimbursed from the Feds is barely enough to cover their cost

I was however a bit iffy with him shopping around, because they wouldn't have had his medical history, and he is the kind of person who can be a bit vague and not give all the important details sometimes. But, I have learnt, when a old fart wants to do something, you can't really stop them.
Ah ok, and yes if you have underlying medical issues then yes seeing your GP first is probably the best thing.

Closed Thread