Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #9031
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Some people trying to cause mischief with semantics about COVID-19 ‘elimination’: WA Premier

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...9c7a8179930ffd

“It’s offensive, it was never about elimination. We know we can’t eliminate it. It’s suppression, it’s about no community transmission,” Mr Barilaro told 2GB radio on Tuesday.
But Mr McGowan said Mr Barilaro should “calm down”.
“The aim is to ensure there is no virus in the community — that is the national cabinet agreed position,” the Premier told reporters.
“I use the phrase ‘eliminate it in the community’, other people use the phrase ‘suppress it in the community’ but the aim is get rid of it in the community.
“This is all just semantics as to whether the appropriate word is elimination or suppression. My view is if the virus is in the community you kill it.
“NSW seems to think its OK to have the virus ticking along in the community and you just deal with it in individual suburbs.”
Asked if he would accept there was some confusion about the pandemic strategy due to semantics, Mr McGowan said: “I think this is people trying to cause mischief.”

--------

The more I hear from this guy the more I like him
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 12:56 AM   #9032
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just watched 'Contagion' on netflix with the mrs. Movie was ok, but very surprising how accurate it is to covid, especially with it being 10 years old.
Morpheus is in it too so you know he knows whats up.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 01:53 AM   #9033
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

CDC have a dashboard that you can use to view the data

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#dashboard

This is a nice picture and all, but it is not based on raw data, mine is based on their raw data.

If anyone thinks Coronavirus should be compared to an average of the last 5 years I can do that on raw data.
But to say the lat year is average is a tad crazier than me.
I reckon comparing to a known bad flu year makes the most sense.
I did not save the chart, but comparing total deaths ytd to the last 5 year average pushed the difference up 2-3%
Old 13-01-2021, 02:42 AM   #9034
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is 2020 v 2018 vs Av(2015, 2016, 2017, 2019)
Again - Raw data from CDC, no estimations, no population/demographics modification
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqdnqjxoo-fIzNsE...ZmtjA?e=i3lFOn(Sorry one day I'll figure how to add a onedrive image)
Old 13-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #9035
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What not to do with your masks....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1348135904188141578

Hope there was a bit of "mopping up" done beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91
Just watched 'Contagion' on netflix with the mrs. Movie was ok, but very surprising how accurate it is to covid, especially with it being 10 years old.
Yep noticed it too. It is strikingly similar if you compare to the story line in the US, almost like real life being scripted. The part that got me was the arrest of the nutty "journalist" who was trying to sell the miracle cure. It is exactly what happened to Alex Jones earlier on in the pandemic.
Marshall law next, coincidence with next week?
Vaccine by birth date lottery is an interesting concept.
Old 13-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #9036
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
What not to do with your masks.... Hope there was a bit of "mopping up" done beforehand.
How stupid is iy that those setting some example still don't have their **** together on sending the right message.

No talk on what masks work best, how to fit and manage them
Old 13-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #9037
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Contagion was legit based on advice from epidemiologists so that it'd be a reasonably true reflection of an outbreak.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-occur/244916/

Quote:
An Epidemiologist on 'Contagion': This Will Almost Certainly Occur

Despite these disappointments, Contagion hits much more often than it misses. The science is uncannily true, with rare exceptions. An epidemic like the one described in the film will almost certainly occur, though we can't predict the details. The notion that an agent like Nipah virus, a pathogen shared by bats, pigs, and humans and presumably the model for the virus in the movie, will break out of its niche and cause widespread disease is very believable.
That article is from 2011.

Old 13-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #9038
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Minister defends tennis influx as Victorians remain locked out of state

Victoria's Emergency Services Minister Lisa Neville has defended the government's decision to allow 1200 people into the state for the Australian Open, while thousands of Australians remain stranded overseas and Melburnians are banned from returning home from Sydney and Brisbane.

Ms Neville also apologised for delays with the government's new 'traffic light' permit system for travellers seeking to enter Victoria.

Ms Neville was the second senior minister forced to address the overnight border permit blunder, with Health Minister Martin Foley also apologising on Tuesday morning to Victorians who faced delays with the new system that is aimed at preventing domestic travellers from spreading coronavirus.

"Yes, last night was terrible and apologies to everyone who was frustrated, held up," Ms Neville said.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...12-p56tdn.html
Old 13-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #9039
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hmm its not a good look but a hard balance, if we cancel all entertainment events full stop then all the people locked down or just generally depressed will get worse.

But the visuals of it are not great.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #9040
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I find a blithe double-standard more depressing than a collective burden.
Old 13-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #9041
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
hmm its not a good look but a hard balance, if we cancel all entertainment events full stop then all the people locked down or just generally depressed will get worse.

But the visuals of it are not great.
I much prefer this to a politician grand standing saying "1 rule for all".

Life has to go on, in all likelihood we have another 2 years before life will be normal. Everyone is not equal or in the same position. It is a fact and people need to get over it. Doctors, nurses, logistics and food services must obviously go on. But so must some form of entertainment for the masses. For the tennis Vic Gov have a comprehensive system in place to quarantine all involved from the community. I don't think we will see the winner being able to do a Jim Courier and run down to jump in the Yarra.

I'm a bit over people upset about self funded quarantine (still monitored, and it actually means we don't take up spaces for returned Aussies) and other entertainment being allowed with special provisions. Without it, we would be way worse off, economically and mentally.

Old 13-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #9042
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 12th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

19 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.175%. NSW recorded 16 cases, Queensland 1 and WA recorded 1.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.125% and active cases 72.

The UK had 45,533 cases yesterday and 1,243 deaths.

Just over 217.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,055 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.665% and active cases at 39.2% with the raw numbers rising and now over 9M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths set a new daily high of 15,500;
Europe passes 600k deaths;
South America passes 14M cases;

Only -
Malaysia (3,309); and
UAE (3,243);

... recorded a new daily high; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 03:56 PM   #9043
prydey
Rob

How many of the Australians that are 'stranded' overseas have dual citizenship and overseas is actually their primary place of residence, but are now playing their Australian citizen card because Australia is not really affected by the virus in comparison to where they are?
Old 13-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #9044
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
How many of the Australians that are 'stranded' overseas have dual citizenship and overseas is actually their primary place of residence, but are now playing their Australian citizen card because Australia is not really affected by the virus in comparison to where they are?
I’d like to see these stats too.

The perception is a lot are returning from the sub-continent, but I’d like to know the numbers and the breakdown.

Good post Prydey.
Old 13-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #9045
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Lots when you listen to them being interviewed with their British and USA accents. I think the repatriation thing will become moot as the intake quota has dropped, air seats disappear and vaccines roll out around the world.
Old 13-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #9046
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised the government isnt cross-referencing who's been paying Aus tax and who hasnt, in determining the order in which people are being let back into the country.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #9047
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

NSW authorities are STILL trying to link FOURTEEN mystery COVID-19 cases

Quote:
Four weeks on from discovering the northern beaches outbreak, NSW Health is still trying to link 14 recent coronavirus cases to known clusters.

Five locally-acquired coronavirus cases were reported on Tuesday from just under 15,000 tests.

The origins of two new cases - one on the northern beaches and one in Blacktown - are so far unknown.

All up, 12 cases found since December 16 are still being investigated by NSW contact tracers, including three detected before Christmas.

A further two cases - from the Canterbury-Bankstown and Lane Cove council areas - have been fully investigated without any link found.
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...ases-c-1945180

Old 13-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #9048
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Is this what it has come to? In front of children? Seriously NSW??

Man accused of stabbing attack during face mask argument at Windsor shopping centre

Quote:
NSW Police have charged a man who allegedly assaulted a security guard and stabbed another person during an argument over a face mask at a shopping centre in Sydney's west.

Police allege Dylan Lewis Creswell, 25, a woman and two children were at the centre in Windsor when a security guard asked the woman to put a mask on about 8.20pm yesterday.

A short time later, Mr Creswell allegedly approached the security guard — a 59-year-old manand punched him several times.

Police allege a member of the public — a 53-year-old man — intervened.

They allege Mr Creswell pulled out a knife and stabbed the older man in the leg.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...ndsor/13054384

The 'we got to live with the virus' strategy is doing wonders for NSW's mental health obviously.
Old 13-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #9049
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

Man accused of stabbing attack during face mask argument at Windsor shopping centre

The 'we got to live with the virus' strategy is doing wonders for NSW's mental health obviously.
So you reckon it is the fault of NSW govt that some D.H leaves his brain at home when he takes the family to the shops ?????????
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #9050
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We've had the same thoughts at home.

And the number of people I have found to have returned to Australia and left and returned again during this time is astounding.
One story was of a male returning twice for a relatives illness and then death. They missed the last visit and the funeral due to quarantining, effectively travelling back and forth across the globe for nothing
I don't get how its been allowed when others are complaining about trying to legitimately get home.
Old 13-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #9051
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
This is a nice picture and all, but it is not based on raw data, mine is based on their raw data.

If anyone thinks Coronavirus should be compared to an average of the last 5 years I can do that on raw data.
But to say the lat year is average is a tad crazier than me.
I reckon comparing to a known bad flu year makes the most sense.
I did not save the chart, but comparing total deaths ytd to the last 5 year average pushed the difference up 2-3%
Did you click on the link? It's a data visualisation tool based on the raw data. You select the data set and it graphs it.

Not sure what your quals and experience is for this sort of analytics but generally it's a bit more involved than "I can make charts in Excel" to make sense of the raw data.

Anyways, carry on....
Old 13-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #9052
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford.

I bet this nut job, was still a nut job pre-covid. Trash is trash.
Old 13-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #9053
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

Old 13-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #9054
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So you reckon it is the fault of NSW govt that some D.H leaves his brain at home when he takes the family to the shops ?????????
Partly, yes.

Firstly, we saw a little bit of this type of behaviour (not to this extent but) during the first nationwide lockdown last March-April. People on edge about 'catching the virus', and having to watch what you do, touch, etc, etc. Stress and anxiety builds which led to fights and arguments. When there's unknown community transmission as there currently is in NSW, stress and/or anxiety tends to be a bit higher and it build up in some people. Which probably results in this kind of behaviour.

Secondly, when your state leader is never ever seen wearing a mask, and then a security guard at the shops tells you to wear a mask, some might react negatively towards his request. Have you seen what has been happening in the USA the last few months for example? Whether you like to believe it or not, some people do 'follow the leader'. Trump is an anti-masker. Look what happened there. Berejiklian, (though not in the same anti-masker league as Trump), sends the same signals to her people by being an anti-masker.

There's an interesting video that has been circulating on social media. In short description, NSW health officials are meeting in a room, all are wearing masks. Berejiklian walks in, everyone removes their masks. This was before masks were mandated in NSW. No firm details on when and where this meeting occurred, so not going to post, until I have firm details.
Old 13-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #9055
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Is that the NSW Gold Standard contact tracing, plane?

Old 13-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #9056
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Wouldn't go as far as to blame NSW's strategy, but setting half assed rules is sure to pit residents against each other.

Just one of a few unsavory CV related incidents coming to light in the last few days. Two over masks, one over Vic's premier. Not hard to guess where these nutters get their ideologies from.
Old 13-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #9057
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Your constant bashing of NSW is childish and becoming very tedious. It's time you thought up something else to whinge about on your drive home from work.

Old 13-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #9058
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Your constant bashing of NSW is childish and becoming very tedious.
I think you might be slightly exaggerating with "constant NSW bashing". Informative, and/or concerned posts maybe.

The rest of Australia is concerned with what is going on in NSW, and how the NSW strategy could effect the rest of Australia if their strategy fails. As we've seen happen already.

And maybe also, slightly in counter to a certain someone's posts that seem to always be, as you like to put it "constantly bashing"; of VIC, and other Labor states. But you seem to ignore that fact, and have not once said anything. Has it anything to do with he is also from NSW as you are?

ps: What makes you think I drive home from work? Or work?
I could be an old grump who sits in front of my computer trolling these forums 20 hours a day. I should get a life hey?

Last edited by Tickford.; 13-01-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 13-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #9059
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

There is never an excuse to assault someone else, particularly someone who is just trying to do their job to the best of their ability. People should be able to go to work and feel safe - not worry about being assaulted.

For those of that think it is OK to assault someone because the Government has made some obscure rule should be ashamed of themselves.

Also, I won't just stand by and let you use this forum to advocate that sort of disgusting behaviour.

Last edited by PG2; 13-01-2021 at 08:32 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #9060
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I be an old grump who sits in front of my computer trolling these forums 20 hours a day. I should get a life hey?
Fixed