Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
titan 4380

Default Testing the MAF sensor

Does anybody know how to do a conclusive test on a AU1 6 cylinder falcon MAF sensor to tell if its faulty? I suspect the MAF sensor on my car may be cactus, but given their expensive price, I would like to be 100% sure before shelling out for a new one. The symptoms are;
  1. Fuel consumption on highway cycle is over 11 L per 100km.
  2. Car starts, runs rough, stalls, but starts and runs ok on the second start
titan 4380 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 
Default Re: Testing the MAF sensor

Definitely don't buy a MAF... the 6 cylinder does not have one! They use a MAP sensor instead which rarely goes bad.

Spark plugs and leads would be worth refreshing if you don't know when they were last done. Also O2 sensor, they're cheap enough to shotgun replace on these. Personally I'd scan for codes and view the O2 sensor waveforms first though, see the threads on Forscan software below

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11409173
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
titan 4380

Default Re: Testing the MAF sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
Definitely don't buy a MAF... the 6 cylinder does not have one! They use a MAP sensor instead which rarely goes bad.

Spark plugs and leads would be worth refreshing if you don't know when they were last done. Also O2 sensor, they're cheap enough to shotgun replace on these. Personally I'd scan for codes and view the O2 sensor waveforms first though, see the threads on Forscan software below

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11409173
Thanks for your reply. I guess that explains why I couldnt buy one off ebay!
This would also add weight to your suggestion that the Lambda sensor could be the culprit. I will see what Forscan has to say.
titan 4380 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: