Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #31
Longreach

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Are you talking about driving interstate freight trains or trians that are used in the mines.
To be perfectly honest i can't remember, i'm pritty sure there the really long coal trains. It was quite some time ago that we were talking about it, january i think. But the figures have always stuck in my mind.
Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #32
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The coal trains are between 3 to 5 ks long and only travel in the state, to go interstate there broken down to about 2ks long.

AFAIR

In Qld the trains that run from Blackwater/ Emerald to Gladstone loading wharf are about 2 to 3 ks long.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:21 AM   #33
Mondie
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum-Yum
Thanks for all the replies guys, you've really got me thinking now lol I have no trade qualifications what so ever and have been a labourer most of my working life so am trying to find out what pays better so to speak.
What state are you located in? l work in the Oil industry and may be able to give you some ideas. There is definitely work for people looking to get a start working offshore but you need some basic tickets including Dogman to get a sniff.
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #34
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
What state are you located in? l work in the Oil industry and may be able to give you some ideas. There is definitely work for people looking to get a start working offshore but you need some basic tickets including Dogman to get a sniff.
G'day mate, I'm in the state of New Zealand LOL I'm looking at relocating to Brisbane at the end of the year(fingers crossed) I hoping to get as much info as possible and maybe work on some tickets before I get there. There seems to be so many more opportunities in Australia, no wonder we're flocking in numbers.
Sun...sand...Rove Live bwahahahaha
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #35
Mondie
Firm member

In NZ, ok. There is plenty of work on the land rigs around New Plymouth, the pay and conditions are pretty crap but if you could get some experience there it would make it a lot easier to get a break when you come to Oz. There is no offshore work in Brisbane, you would need to be in Perth, or Gippsland in Vic to be around the offshore drilling contractors. Brisbane is the base for a lot of land work in the west of the state, again nothing too glamarous or highly paying but it could give you the experience to get into the offshore game.

Good luck with the move.

Cheers Simon
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #36
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
In NZ, ok. There is plenty of work on the land rigs around New Plymouth, the pay and conditions are pretty crap but if you could get some experience there it would make it a lot easier to get a break when you come to Oz. There is no offshore work in Brisbane, you would need to be in Perth, or Gippsland in Vic to be around the offshore drilling contractors. Brisbane is the base for a lot of land work in the west of the state, again nothing too glamarous or highly paying but it could give you the experience to get into the offshore game.

Good luck with the move.

Cheers Simon
Cheers Mondie,
the move to Brissy is because I have family there, so figure that if need be, I'd have my family to help ease us into the new surroundings so to speak and Brissy is alot closer to Perth than NZ lol yeah mate I have heard of the New Plymouth Rigs and what you stated was exactly why people have told me not to bother heading that way pmsl I'm kinda nervous about moving but also know that it's a far better option than to stay in town and live miserably in a job that looks like it's gonna be a dead end the one thing I am dreading tho is having to give up my XR6 :
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #37
khotchkiss
Starter Motor

Default Re: Anyone worked on Offshore Oil Rigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Thought about the mining industry, there are some pretty good $$ to be had there as well. Another place that might worth looking at is (dont laugh) Woomera. This little town will be a gold mine for the right people very soon.

Archer Access are always looking for mining guys https://archeraccess.com.au/
khotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2022, 02:33 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by khotchkiss View Post
Archer Access are always looking for mining guys https://archeraccess.com.au/
You do realise how old this thread is don't you?
Old 16-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #39
khotchkiss
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
You do realise how old this thread is don't you?
I am aware, thank you
khotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: