Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Default Anyone worked on Offshore Oil Rigs?

G'day guys and girls,
been thinking about a change in career and one that has caught my eye is working on offshore oil rigs. Does anyone here have experience and able to tell me how to go about finding employment on a rig, any qualifications needed or tickets that may help to open a few doors. I'm 33 with 3 kids and have explained my plans to my children who are happy about my decision. I currently work a 12hr shift and am accustom to hard physical labour, so after reading some info feel I may be right at home as a Roustabout or Roughneck.
Any help or Info you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all

:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I work with a bloke that worked oil rigs for a few years, from the Irish sea to the persian gulf. Its a darn hard life, but the money is quite exceptional. I think that it is not all that easy to get into either. More a matter of who you know and not what you know. Lots of travel included as well.

Good luck with it. Try contacting the big oil companies in Australia, then maybe the overseas ones.
Old 22-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah mate it’s pretty hard to get on to em like the above post said, not what you know but whom you know.

Rigger and dogging Ticket’s would help, as well as senor first aid and a MARCSTA and Experience in the mining/ Drilling industry might help too.

Are you a Tradesman I.E Mechanical Fitter or just fresh off the street just looking for a change?
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Are you a Tradesman I.E Mechanical Fitter or just fresh off the street just looking for a change?
Thanks for the posts guys, definitely fresh off the street lol and really looking for a change. No trades what so ever jst a straight labourer. I do work with a couple of guys who know people on a rig off the coast of Perth I think, maybe that's my door so to speak.
Old 22-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Thought about the mining industry, there are some pretty good $$ to be had there as well. Another place that might worth looking at is (dont laugh) Woomera. This little town will be a gold mine for the right people very soon.
Old 22-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Thought about the mining industry, there are some pretty good $$ to be had there as well. Another place that might worth looking at is (dont laugh) Woomera. This little town will be a gold mine for the right people very soon.
Hadn't really thought about mining but please do tell. Not sure where Woomera is lol
Old 22-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum-Yum
Hadn't really thought about mining but please do tell. Not sure where Woomera is lol
Woomera is on the stuart highway north of Adelaide. They are building a new lauch pad for NASA and other aero space agencies. Most of the big mines are in WA and QLD with acouple in the NT. Not sure how you would go about applying but a google search of mines in Australia would be a good place to start. Maybe there is an employment agency that handles mine jobs?? There must be someone on this forum that is involved in the mining industry???
Old 23-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #8
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

I have done a bit of work on rigs if you want some info just PM me
Old 23-09-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got quite a few mates off mining, they all got in from just fronting up to the mine. The companies are reluctant to give any jobs out or show a great deal of interest on the phone or by email, but if someone is comitted enough to front up to the mine, do a mine course (1 day) and have a medical, they were all working within 2 weeks. A few had trades, 2 were labourers, 2 were uni students, 1 was putting up sheds, and the other was unemployed.

All love it, make great money compared to what they could make here with minimal qualifications, like the work, and are all happy they bit the bullet and moved over.

Much easier life than on a rig, esp if you have kids. Still some sort of notmality to your life. And you also get lots of options to be involved in different areas and projects and can stay in a big mine in a town like kalgoorlie, or head up further doing fly in fly out remote stuff.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

quite a few mining jobs on the net, try google search of mining jobs.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
dan.76
always reading posts

i live in a coal mining town in qld , there is lots of work on up here but no accomodation at all to be had.i think that wa is the best bet at the moment
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

Maybe do a rope access course - something a bit different

IRATA - Industrial Rope Access Trade Association
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
dan.76
always reading posts

looks good till you give the incident reports a look, but dont mind me im scared of heights lol
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a thread on similiar subject awhile back...can't be bothered searching....however try and get in touch with svo-347 I'm pretty sure he's in the mining game.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #15
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had a thought and this relates to other thread....get yourself into a welding course..which at the end gives you X-Ray standard welding practises...you'll never look back the entire minerals/mining industry needs X-Ray standard welders...especially the gas industry.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 24-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #16
FreezeR

If you want to get into mining jobs, your best off to just show up and ask. Im in kalgoorlie atm working for ausdrill and there always looking for offsiders and drillers.

Lots of work over here you just gotta go to the right places. First off you'll need your HR otherwise most companies here wont even look at you.
I heard karratha is the place to go if you want to get into offshore, most off them fly in and out of there. You'll need your MARCSTA, HUET and some previous drilling experience to get out there though.

PM me if you want anymore info.
FreezeR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
Phil
......Ford........

I work in underground mining, been doing it for over 12 years. Mechanic by trade. Underground maintence trainer now.
If you want to work in WA a few of employment agencies run courses to get people in. Best bet is pick up "The West Australian" News paper on a Saturday and have a look through the job section. There is a bit at the back that lists all the mining training courses. What sort of job you looking for? Trades or operator? With alot of jobs in West Australia you cant just show up at the gate asking for a job as most of them are in remote areas.
FG 315 Pursuit ute....#20
"Green is Nice"
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #18
EXECJIM

Talking

Should ask **, he has done everything
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #19
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Thanks for all the replies guys, you've really got me thinking now lol I have no trade qualifications what so ever and have been a labourer most of my working life so am trying to find out what pays better so to speak.
Old 25-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just another thought and this relates to the offshore rigs...if your up for it get your diving ticket and welding..x-ray..ticket and try saturation diving and maintenance....is dangerous...but big..big money.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 25-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #21
jasonl351
naba6

if u wanna get offshore u have to work onshore first,ring places like cetury drilling.o d&e, oca. coz most offshore mobs only employ drillers, derrickmen and tradies they have a thing called the iron roughneck.
jasonl351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #22
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Just another thought and this relates to the offshore rigs...if your up for it get your diving ticket and welding..x-ray..ticket and try saturation diving and maintenance....is dangerous...but big..big money.
What do you call big big money, to me that'd be 25o+
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #23
Longreach

Hmm i don't know if this is were you want to head, but since you've got the kids. You could head to Collie in WA, around hour and half out of perth and they have quite afew mines in the area, and because of hte proximity to so many local towns, you could move to a town which isn't purely mining, but at the same time isn't overly huge, depending you may be able to base ya self out of a decent sized community if you could find the right mine. Which would allow you to go home and see the kids each night/day depending on shifts, without having to be fly in fly out. I am pritty sure that the bauxite industry is being upgraded or is planned to do so soon, so should be plenty of jobs available there, as they have a lack of people within the area as there all just about already work at the mines :P. Don't quote me on the info its just what i picked up while i did some work down there about 6 months ago, with that said i worked on an agricultural property but the mines did come up in discussion acouple times.
Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #24
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
What do you call big big money, to me that'd be 25o+
That, from memory and relating to todays rates is about what it is.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 25-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #25
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
That, from memory and relating to todays rates is about what it is.
As in $25o,ooo a year, holy Fu*k.

SO what exactly does this work involve, just underwater welding or is there more to it. Surley there's a reason why they pay stupid money.
Old 25-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #26
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As in $25o,ooo a year, holy Fu*k.

SO what exactly does this work involve, just underwater welding or is there more to it. Surley there's a reason why they pay stupid money.

Yes there is more to it I'm not real sure about OZ but in the Nth Sea rigs they spend 1 mth under and two on top...they live in a nitrogen filled atmosphere in a submersible...its very cramped and cold...and it takes quite some time for your your body to normalise after each dive.

Perhaps a google would offer more info than I know...I'm not sure but I think the dive duration may have been shortened....but the money is there.

An after thought your time outside the sub is limited which is why you are part of a large team...from memory you can spend about half an hour out of the sub...the depths there working at are 100mtr ++++++

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 25-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #27
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Yes there is more to it I'm not real sure about OZ but in the Nth Sea rigs they spend 1 mth under and two on top...they live in a nitrogen filled atmosphere in a submersible...its very cramped and cold...and it takes quite some time for your your body to normalise after each dive.

Perhaps a google would offer more info than I know...I'm not sure but I think the dive duration may have been shortened....but the money is there.
When their top side do they work or have the time off, dam shame they dont have and rigs off sydney thats would be a pretty cooly job. So you dive from the submersible living area.
Old 25-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #28
Longreach

Speaking of crazy money, people that drive the huge trains up North. A women used to drive the large haul trucks, she quit that on the mines went and got her train licence, first year somthing like 80grand, and working its way up to around 350g if i remember correct, and another bloke was on just under half mil, for driving those huge trains. 8 days on 6 off, something like that.
It would have to be a boreing job, but i guess you'd be sittin there just dropping 2$ coins in a jar in essence
Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #29
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longreach
Speaking of crazy money, people that drive the huge trains up North. A women used to drive the large haul trucks, she quit that on the mines went and got her train licence, first year somthing like 80grand, and working its way up to around 350g if i remember correct, and another bloke was on just under half mil, for driving those huge trains. 8 days on 6 off, something like that.
It would have to be a boreing job, but i guess you'd be sittin there just dropping 2$ coins in a jar in essence
Are you talking about driving interstate freight trains or trians that are used in the mines.
Old 25-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #30
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When their top side do they work or have the time off, dam shame they dont have and rigs off sydney thats would be a pretty cooly job. So you dive from the submersible living area.

No they don't work its time out to recover from the dive...it takes about a week or more for your voice to return from squeak to normal.

As I said its a very dangerous job.

Which is why the pay is so good...but the average saturation diver only lasts about 5 to 8 years...then enough is enough.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6