Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-10-2022, 10:23 PM   #91
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: East Coast floods

Out of curiosity, do they hand out Puritabs (or equivalent) as a matter of course for people stuck in these areas?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2022, 12:16 AM   #92
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

And finally, it’s not just me saying it. The BOM has issues.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-...taff/101555504

Hopefully the probing by journalists will also look at important things like defunding maintenance resources for radar stations. Once operated with nearly a full onsite redundancy through the input of skilled technicians, they can now be offline for indefinite periods while spare parts are requisitioned and the site brought back into service. This sort of stuff really matters when you are wanting to collaborate and check data… During the onset of one recent (NSW) heavy rain and flooding event, the Sydney radar was offline for most of 36 hours, right at the critical times. I’d rather they kept up funding to infrastructure than stripped it off to afford their rebranding.
Old 21-10-2022, 07:14 AM   #93
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Out of curiosity, do they hand out Puritabs (or equivalent) as a matter of course for people stuck in these areas?
one of my sons works for the local water authority, the town drinking water wasn't under threat, despite all the rumour mongering going on in the town, spread by ****-heads who should know better. Sure my son said store some fresh water just in case, but he was confident that they had all the risks mitigated. He works at the sewerage end, but they all jump in and help everywhere when required. He was looking after the fresh water pumping in Mooroopna and the sewerage in Mooroopna as he lives over that side of the Goulburn

As far as the Mooroopna power station, who the **** builds a power station in a flood zone? Seriously. It is between the river and a main road

The river is subsiding quickly here in most areas, Mooroopna still affected. My son lives out of town and the water is impacting his property, he doesn't think it will enter his house, and maybe not his shed which is in his front yard

I hope the people outside the Great Wall of Echuca fair OK, I have a mate at Echuca Village and his house is in strife, and his work place is outside the Great Walll of Echuca. His business made the machines for the face mask manufacturer here, pity the council don't respect that kind of thing
Old 22-10-2022, 11:50 PM   #94
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given what we saw last week up Heathcote way, it's unbelievable they are up and running tomorrow. Test and tune, and burn outs are on.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2022, 06:06 PM   #95
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m wondering why the media obscures number plates of cars that have driven into floodwaters, at least once there is certainty of no deaths.

Aside, not looking good for the NSW North Coast again. News is already showing minor flooding in Byron Bay’s CBD. If Lismore (etc) go under, the mental toll on residents will be massive.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2022, 06:21 PM   #96
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m wondering why the media obscures number plates of cars that have driven into floodwaters, at least once there is certainty of no deaths.
maybe coz insurance companies might scan the news
Old 23-10-2022, 07:30 PM   #97
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
maybe coz insurance companies might scan the news
I was going to say because the wonderful government revenue raisers scan the news as well.

Apparently driving into floodwater is potentially a $27,000 fine in Qld. Good money maker.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2022, 07:51 PM   #98
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
I was going to say because the wonderful government revenue raisers scan the news as well.

Apparently driving into floodwater is potentially a $27,000 fine in Qld. Good money maker.
Yikes. Interesting to know what would constitute "flood" water? Does it have to meet a certain depth and coverage across the road?

Blurring plates is just standard good privacy practice these days. Uncle Joe may not want Aunty Anne to know he was in a certain area when he shouldn't have been.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #99
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Yikes. Interesting to know what would constitute "flood" water? Does it have to meet a certain depth and coverage across the road?
I'll have to retract a little, I misread things. I knew they put fines in place after the floods earlier this year but confused the rules of enforcement.

Apparently disobeying a road closed sign is $165 and 3 points.

Driving through floodwater or water across the road may get you a $551 fine for driving without due care and attention. I've seen where the cops have applied those fines.

Disobeying a road closed sign due to flooding starts at $827 with a maximum penalty of $27,500. So disobeying the sign is the start. I imagine if you get caught in the water they hand your *** to you as well.

Quote:
However, hundreds of complaints have been lodged with police about people disregarding the road signs and driving into flood waters.

Residents of Waterford West complained about a government official patrolling Tygum Rd and taking down the registration numbers of cars that drove through water to get to the local supermarket.
From the Transport Minister:

Quote:
“If that isn’t enough to deter people, they can be hit with a $551 on-the-spot fine for driving without due care and attention.

“That offence carries a maximum penalty of more than $5500 or six months’ imprisonment or even more if it leads to serious injuries or death.

“Where a road has been closed due to flooding, drivers who disobey road closure signs face an additional $827 fine. The maximum penalty for this offence is more than $27,500.”
Quote:
Police said in extreme cases, they could issue fines for “dangerous operation of a vehicle”, which has a maximum penalty of more than $5500 or six months’ imprisonment and more if it led to serious injuries or death.
I'd have to assume alot of it comes down to police discretion. If they see me drive through 6" of water I might be up for thousands.

And I suppose if a cop sees a car floating at X road at X time on the news and they know there is a sign there, they could sting you for it.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: