Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2022, 06:07 PM   #31
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Re: Automotive trends that need to die in 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s quintessentially the Modern Australia. Nobody wants to be seen as making an obviously “wrong” choice, so we get self-enforced conformity.
Well, if it greatly affects its resale then yes, it would be a wrong choice
Old 30-12-2022, 06:13 PM   #32
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
The options of black, white or a shade of grey/silver has bugged me for ages...so boring out there.
Maybe if they started painting them in bright vibrant colours again we might not need all these "safety aids"

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #33
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Maybe if they started painting them in bright vibrant colours again we might not need all these "safety aids"
Its an interesting thought.
Not much stands out on the roads anymore.

Mustangs are probably the only car that comes to mind with a good range of colour choices.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2022, 06:26 PM   #34
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Mustangs are probably the only car that comes to mind with a good range of colour choices.
and those pokey front lights they call indicator now. Half the stuff out on the road doesn't show up in sunlight.

4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2022, 06:27 PM   #35
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If I bought a vehicle new, I’d want it to be “Barbie pink”.

Then I’d demand a commensurate reduction in my comprehensive policy to reflect its conspicuity in use and reduced theft risk.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #36
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Then I’d demand a commensurate reduction in my comprehensive policy to reflect its conspicuity in use and reduced theft risk.
your next vehicle awaits.

Old 30-12-2022, 06:35 PM   #37
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:

When i bought my boat new in 03, i would have loved to have the option of pink. That wasnt an option. It would be a big dicking myself move as its a ****er boat sort of. Goes fast. Had to settle with a metal flake blue gel coat instead. That looks pretty good still.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2022, 07:45 PM   #38
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Register yourself an ABN and sign up for these
Not that easy Franco. You can actually be prosecuted if you apply for an ABN knowing you are ineligible. I am not operating any business, and as a retired FCPA it would be a bit hard for me to argue I didn't know I was ineligible.
Old 30-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #39
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Given Toyota's longevity in the hybrid space, they got it to a drive away price that a lot of manufacturers havent been able to compete with. Hyundai said as much a year or two ago.

Having said that, it's all starting to change. Hyundai just released a hybrid Santa Fe with a Tucson coming in 23 and more and more after that.

Haval is also offering hybrids.

It will become more prominent in the next 18 months I feel.

In terms of the colour comment, I've long said this is a vicious cycle. Car dealers order some odd ball colours (let's say bright, loudish colours, or even greens etc) and they don't sell - so then we won't order it again. Then when a customer comes in wanting something different, they don't necessarily want to wait for a colour and will take the grey in stock. Therefore, sales history says colours don't sell so don't order them. We're in a different scenario these days with stock issues so this probably applies to pre COVID - but the lack of colour going out the door issue with a lot of cars is probably more related to the dealers.

In terms of safety mechanisms.. this is an odd thing to talk about. Perhaps the car enthusiasts mindset where we all think we know how to drive and don't need aids. For this reason my father in law doesn't drive anything newer than a 92 model car and would very unlikely buy anything new.

But damned if you do, damned if you don't... my god cars that hit the market without every single safety feature and a 5 star ancap rating is seen as a death trap.

Most cars in my opinion don't really require going in to screen menus to disable a feature, the buttons are generally on the dash or console, though I can't speak for many Fords, maybe they're different.

That's a good counter-point on the colours, how did we go from the time of the BA with bright purples and blues and acidic yellows and limes and reds - with choices of colour highlights inside - to end up where we are today?

Mustang has the colours, one of the dealers here had a beautiful dark green one, was that you?
Old 30-12-2022, 08:07 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
It’s quintessentially the Modern Australia. Nobody wants to be seen as making an obviously “wrong” choice, so we get self-enforced conformity.
I love flash colours, my cars don't though

When this stops happening because it sits out in the sun for a few years I'll start buying cars that aren't white
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I've got a feeling that Tesla are already doing this...!!

BISTBC
Now that wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest but recently, BMW tried this with heated seats in the US,
the backlash from buyers stunned the brass who thought it a good idea.

Also in a recent interview, Jim Farley mentioned that Doug Field would be exploring possibilities
so get ready to be nickeled and dimmed by Ford management on your premium purchases….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2022, 11:15 PM   #42
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

I have a deeply conservative uncle who only ever buys white cars, because they are safer on the road don't you know. My response to that is it's pretty bloody hard to miss a bright red Mustang on the road!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 10:17 AM   #43
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah and you car manufacturers stop changing the heads on screws ......I'm sick of buying new tool kits to undo things you don't want me undoing

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #44
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
and those pokey front lights they call indicator now. Half the stuff out on the road doesn't show up in sunlight.
Lots of poor choices happening with headlights and indicators. Used to see what was what with a quick glance, now Im studying the front of the oncoming car. Its not my age, I swear! haha

But this reminds me of the new trend to use the headlight or row of drive lights under the main headlight as indicators. A line of white light becomes orange and flashes. So one side stays bright white, the other side now flashing orange. Looks weird to me, like something is broken.
Old 31-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #45
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crappy driver aids (e.g. lane assist in the Toyota Corolla) use to annoy me. Until I realised just how bad some drivers are without the driver aids. These days I appreciate how the computer in the Corolla ahead of me, bouncing from left side of the lane to right side of the lane and back again, is doing a far better job than the “driver” ever could.

Ditto, the speed alert. Yes, it sometimes gets it wrong, interpreting a “90” sign as an “80” sign, subsequently beeping in the cabin, displaying on the dash, and in one car I drove recently, issuing a stern oral warning that I was speeding and to drive safely at all times. But it is now clear to me that most drivers cannot read “numbers”. This is something that I blame on our ideology-based education system. Either that, or they miss the speed sign because they are too distracted being a keyboard warrior on Twitter whist driving.

So, yeah, rule of lowest common denominator dictates that we really do need this buzzing and beeping in the cabin. What would be cool is for the car to post the speed limit and your current speed into your Twitter feed in an undeletable way. Maybe the, A) the driver will actually see it, and B) be socially embarrassed to take corrective action.

The greatest Nanny feature of all is autonomous braking. Sure, it occasionally misfires (like when pointing at the power pole beside the curved road outside Hungry Jacks at Aspley). What would be awesome is if the car’s computer refuses to let the car get closer than two seconds to the car in front.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2022, 02:13 PM   #46
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Crappy driver aids (e.g. lane assist in the Toyota Corolla) use to annoy me. Until I realised just how bad some drivers are without the driver aids. These days I appreciate how the computer in the Corolla ahead of me, bouncing from left side of the lane to right side of the lane and back again, is doing a far better job than the “driver” ever could.

Ditto, the speed alert. Yes, it sometimes gets it wrong, interpreting a “90” sign as an “80” sign, subsequently beeping in the cabin, displaying on the dash, and in one car I drove recently, issuing a stern oral warning that I was speeding and to drive safely at all times. But it is now clear to me that most drivers cannot read “numbers”. This is something that I blame on our ideology-based education system. Either that, or they miss the speed sign because they are too distracted being a keyboard warrior on Twitter whist driving.

So, yeah, rule of lowest common denominator dictates that we really do need this buzzing and beeping in the cabin. What would be cool is for the car to post the speed limit and your current speed into your Twitter feed in an undeletable way. Maybe the, A) the driver will actually see it, and B) be socially embarrassed to take corrective action.

The greatest Nanny feature of all is autonomous braking. Sure, it occasionally misfires (like when pointing at the power pole beside the curved road outside Hungry Jacks at Aspley). What would be awesome is if the car’s computer refuses to let the car get closer than two seconds to the car in front.
Yeah they need all this audible stuff etc otherwise how else would they get distracted from their phone

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #47
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have a deeply conservative uncle who only ever buys white cars, because they are safer on the road don't you know. My response to that is it's pretty bloody hard to miss a bright red Mustang on the road!
I've had plenty of bright Red Mustang's pull out in front of my big white truck. So I guess you are right.

2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #48
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The stop start feature must go. Its so annoying.
Old 31-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
We had a 2016 Mazda 6 company car which had it, put it in sports mode to turn it off and it would liven up how the throttle response was - that thing was deadly at roundabouts, **** turns itself off and then takes ages to respond to your throttle inputs.

But then it wouldn't change out of 4th gear on the freeway in sports mode, you change it up two gears then put it back into sports mode and it'd drop back to 4th.

So I just drove it on the highway everywhere in 4th while it revved its tits off, saves heaps of fuel this stop start stuff.

Stop start can GAGF - they need to make it a function that you can turn it off permanently.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 31-12-2022 at 05:12 PM.
7 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 05:03 PM   #50
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Bloody annoying for other drivers with quick changing traffic lights.

7 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 05:16 PM   #51
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
If they insist on putting a feature like this in a car it needs a switch to turn it on if you would like to use the feature, not the other way around, it seems these features are being forced on us with either no way to disable it or a long trawl through the menus to find a way of turning it off.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 05:29 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
If they insist on putting a feature like this in a car it needs a switch to turn it on if you would like to use the feature, not the other way around, it seems these features are being forced on us with either no way to disable it or a long trawl through the menus to find a way of turning it off.
Or they give you a switch to turn it off but when you turn the car off it defaults to back on - thats why I just put the Mazda in sports mode all the time.
Old 31-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #53
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Or they give you a switch to turn it off but when you turn the car off it defaults to back on
Sounds like this Chromebook I'm currently using, spend time changing setting only for it to revert back to default mode.

Old 31-12-2022, 05:44 PM   #54
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Or they give you a switch to turn it off but when you turn the car off it defaults to back on - thats why I just put the Mazda in sports mode all the time.
I Just throw It into neutral at the lights..!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #55
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
These systems only exist so that car companies gain extra economy on the government fuel economy ratings.

Part of the simulated drive loop during the test is for periods at idle, in theory simulating stopping at a set of lights. If the engine is not running at this stage of the test, then the overall fuel use and therefore final numbers is much better.

Because this feature is used to gain those numbers at an official level, the system MUST default to on rather than something that is turned on.

In the real world, stopping and starting the engine saves little to no fuel at all.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 08:16 PM   #56
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gain those numbers or game those numbers?

The system is fxxxg dangerous.
You are at a busy roundabout in peak hour.
A gap appears press the throttle just as the engine goes into off because of the stop start bs
Result late take off and resulting collision
Green waste at traffic lights as a gaggle of cars all take half a second later due to stop start

I turn it off at the start of every trip
Lane assist and Centreing is permanently off.
I have left the park sensor beepers on as while they are annoying they will save my bacon one day

The other thing mine does on switch off
Is
Beep beep check rear seat for occupants beep beep check rear seats for occupants beep beep check rear seat for occupants beep beep check rear seat for occupants
Stops when I open the door to get out
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 08:20 PM   #57
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This will come across as contradictory considering I have a car with one of these on order, but I don't care for screens replacing traditional gauge clusters.

Some do it better than others, in fact the current generation S550 set up is nice becuase it maintains a traditional hooded gauge cluster surround.

However, the new S650 simply has a glued-on screen.

Think of it this way, do you want a digital watch or a nice, clear and beautifully detailed traditional movement watch? I feel the same about dials..........

Porsche does the digital dash the best, combining old and new to perfection.

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 08:34 PM   #58
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yes, the digital dash. Another solution looking for a problem.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 09:09 PM   #59
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought we all learnt our lesson here with the XF dash 36 years ago
4 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 09:24 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
This will come across as contradictory considering I have a car with one of these on order, but I don't care for screens replacing traditional gauge clusters.

Some do it better than others, in fact the current generation S550 set up is nice becuase it maintains a traditional hooded gauge cluster surround.

However, the new S650 simply has a glued-on screen.

Think of it this way, do you want a digital watch or a nice, clear and beautifully detailed traditional movement watch? I feel the same about dials..........

Porsche does the digital dash the best, combining old and new to perfection.

I agree with this, although I do like both because the screens should be customisable - I'm expecting to be able to display anything that reports data on CAN on those screens.

But I'm also a fan of the traditional real gauge with a real needle.
3 users like this post: