Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 
Question Premium price for Hamilton burnout car

The Mercedes Lewis Hamilton was caught "hooning" in leaves the impound lot. Photo: Jason South

Mercedes-Benz is fielding calls from buyers keen to buy the $150,000 car former F1 champ Lewis Hamilton used to do a burnout in last week.

A race of a different kind is taking place this week, with buyers now vying for the car that landed Formula One ace Lewis Hamilton in hot water with police.

It may have a little less rubber on its rear tyres, but the car the 2008 F1 world champion used for his much-publicised burnout before the start of the Australian Grand Prix could command a price premium.

Mercedes-Benz Australia senior manager of corporate communications David McCarthy was fielding calls from several customers keen to buy the car, which has a 6.2-litre V8 capable of launching the four-door to 100km/h in 4.7 seconds.

“More than half a dozen dealers have rung, which is in response to calls they’ve had (from customers),” said Mr McCarthy.

He said Hamilton’s Formula One team, McLaren, had paid the release fee and returned the sports-focused C63 AMG sedan to the car maker.
Police seized the $150,000 luxury performance car on Friday night after Hamilton was caught performing a burnout outside the Australian Grand Prix circuit.

‘‘I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and as a result was stopped by the police,’’ Hamilton said in a statement after the vehicle was towed away. ‘‘What I did was silly and I want to apologise for it.’’

Would be a good talking point at the local pub wouldnt it? Or just buy the car and sell the rear tyres on ebay

Old 30-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would need a certificate of authenticity to prove it was Lewis's car for future sales.
Old 30-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

rego should be enough shouldnt it? with all the media photos and all
Old 30-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Proceeds of crime?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

You're right, the nancies will be all over this............

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Park it next to Bingle's Aston....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The Nancy Zealots Wil definitly be over this, but what can they do, if someone offers more than sticker price or gets in a bidding war, whats the dealer to say?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Park it next to Bingle's Aston....
Yeah its a "bingle" ... it will be for sale for a while!
Old 30-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Proceeds of crime?
Doubt it. No prison time.

I mean how many of us have broken the law by speeding / doing a burnout and go on the sell the car?
Old 30-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't surprise me if this was a publicity stunt right from the beginning
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll wager a lobster that the new owner will try to emulate the feat and haze the tyres again.
Will the the towie get to impound it again in the near future?
Should be entered into next years Summernats burnout comp!
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
I'll wager a lobster that the new owner will try to emulate the feat and haze the tyres again.
Will the the towie get to impound it again in the near future?
Should be entered into next years Summernats burnout comp!
The funny thing then would be - 2nd offence for the car...

(because from memory the offence for hooning goes on the car - not just the driver)...

And what happens on the 3rd offence???
Old 31-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was there ever any film clip of said burnout or was it just a short/medium spinning tyres etc as he left the track area? It wasn't a full blooded screaching tyre frying affair was it.
I guess people will buy anything for a bit more money if it has a celebrity name attached. :
Old 31-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Park it out front of Harold Scruby's house, just to tease him.

Quote: