Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
hmm, most highway roads in nz are undivided, and im pretty sure nz's road toll is lower per capita...
That's because most arent long enough to get upto 100 on...!

Old 29-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #32
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That's because most arent long enough to get upto 100 on...!
lol, i was expecting something about sheep...

but i reckon it has more to do with the fact that some drivers in aussie get used to the feeling of 'safety' on multi lane divided highways, then turn to dithering morons when faced with just one lane, and traffic coming straight at them...

where as in nz everyone is used to undivided roads so dont 'panic' and are more able to drive safely.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
No, because the "object" is carrying energy, so the impact is greater then hitting a stationary solid object.
FFS, there is a HUGE thread on this. You are completely wrong. It has been proven mathematically, demonstrated using physics models and finally confirmed by testing authorities stating "we crash into a wall as that simulates a head on of two vehicles traveling at the same speed"
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a really good idea. Instead of dropkicks trying to find a way of surviving head on crashes how about AVOIDING head on crashes......
Old 29-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
No, because the "object" is carrying energy, so the impact is greater then hitting a stationary solid object.
:

Next you'll be saying that a plane can't take off on a conveyor belt.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #36
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I have a really good idea. Instead of dropkicks trying to find a way of surviving head on crashes how about AVOIDING head on crashes......
How dare you use common sense.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
:

Next you'll be saying that a plane can't take off on a conveyor belt.
What about if two planes crashed head on while attempting to take off on conveyor belts. Would there be more of less beer drunk at the AFF XMAS party than if one of the planes was actually a safety camera and the conveyor belt was Harold Scruby while the other was a Leopold tank on a W427?
Old 29-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #38
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Your maths is a major fail, If two similar cars hit head-on @ 80km/h it is the equivalent of hitting a solid object at 80km/h NOT 160km/h
How can that be? If two cars travelling in the same direction hit, and one is doing 80, and the other is doing 81, would it not be the same as the car travelling at 1 km/h into a wall? ie bugger all damage? If that's true, then surely if they are headed in different directions and hit, then the speed must be combined - maybe not fully, but it's got to be harder than htting a solid immovable object at 80, since the thing travelling the other way not only has speed but movement too.

Instead of just saying "major fail", how about explaining/proving, because I'm 100% sure that my physics teacher (20+ years ago) taught us that force applied in opposite directions cancels, and we all know that two cars that head hit on don't suffer no damage, therefore I took that to mean that the force cancelling creates massive energy which is in the form of huge damage to each car - more than each car hitting a solid immovable object. Happy to be shown to be wrong, and as flappist suggests, not keen to find out in the real world, so I'd rather just avoid the head on, but an 80kmh limit is not necessarily going to do that.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #39
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
FFS, there is a HUGE thread on this. You are completely wrong. It has been proven mathematically, demonstrated using physics models and finally confirmed by testing authorities stating "we crash into a wall as that simulates a head on of two vehicles traveling at the same speed"
Link please? Just for my own edumacation.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 29-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #40
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

but i reckon it has more to do with the fact that some drivers in aussie get used to the feeling of 'safety' on multi lane divided highways, then turn to dithering morons when faced with just one lane, and traffic coming straight at them...

where as in nz everyone is used to undivided roads so dont 'panic' and are more able to drive safely.

Or maybe we have undivided highways in Aus that are many times longer than NZ? Then after driving for 10-15+ hours at the same constant speed looking at the same bush on the side of the road people lose concentration and come to a sudden stop.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Link please? Just for my own edumacation.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11282496
Old 30-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #42
smee323
Yes it is mine...

Some of our roads have a single strip of bitumen and dont even have a centre line.
You soon learn to give way etc and become more aware on these roads.

As above, people have become complacent travelling like sheep at 60kph in the city doing makeup, reading books etc and as soon as they head out onto a highway at 100kph or more do not know what to do.

Just look at the number of morons whom sit in the right hand lane doing 80 because they think it is their right to do so. Even the big frack off sign saying keep left has no affect. They just zone out.

What next a man witha red flag, and if you don't display it, Mr Plod on his horse will pull you over. And if he can't catch you the pigs in space will.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #43
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thanks, but which post in the many is correct? I think I'll back to IT - so much easier!

Old 30-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #44
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee323
Some of our roads have a single strip of bitumen and dont even have a centre line.
You soon learn to give way etc and become more aware on these roads.

As above, people have become complacent travelling like sheep at 60kph in the city doing makeup, reading books etc and as soon as they head out onto a highway at 100kph or more do not know what to do.

Just look at the number of morons whom sit in the right hand lane doing 80 because they think it is their right to do so. Even the big frack off sign saying keep left has no affect. They just zone out.

What next a man witha red flag, and if you don't display it, Mr Plod on his horse will pull you over. And if he can't catch you the pigs in space will.
Actually, blue flag means you have a car behind you - red flag means race is over.e

Old 30-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #45
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

calls for an 80k speed limit ? - these would be the same fools who for the last 10 years have been sprouting road safety and as a result our roads are worse now than ever before ?

100k bores me shietless on the highway 80k will put me to sleep while i drive.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #46
Scott

Look out for the Government doing is a favour and only reducing limits to 95km/h. Leak out some really terrible scenario then be the white knight by only going half as bad, or twice as good (as any spin doctor would put it). Spew.

Next thing some bearded, tweed wearing silver back will say "all cars older than 20 years should be banned from our roads" only to have the gummit save us again and say "well we think that 40 years would be better".

Sew the seeds, let some schmuck take the fall then implement a "better" scenario so our ********** sandwich tastes a little better.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #47
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Flappist, I think I got it. The energy/force applied when 2 cars hit head on is the same as a car hitting a wall at 200, but that energy is absorbed between 2 cars instead of one, so is shared, just like one car hitting a wall at 100. Your infinitely thin wall did it for me - nice explanation.

The impact on each car changes slightly when two vehicles of different mass hit (let's assume squarely head on, because vectors will change the force being applied and to whom), because the energy is still the same but the force applied by each mass to the other is in proportion to it's size/mass, so the larger car will inflict more damage on the smaller and vice versa. Crumple zones help keep energy away from the occupants, but at the right speed, it will still make a mess, and sounds like the right speed is over 80.

Moral of the story - if you have a head on, make sure you're in the bigger (heavier) car.

Bigger moral - avoid head ons, or any collision at all, if you can.

Old 30-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #48
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Moral of the story - if you have a head on, make sure you're in the bigger (heavier) car.
Only if your measure of safety is which car looks better, not which occupant cell performed better. Weight is purely one of many factors, and not always a good one in all instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Amen.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

I'd say NZ drivers are better then people in Australia (well from my experience).
It is funny how you guys have a BAC limit of 0.08 yet have lower deaths per capita.
Old 30-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #50
LTDHO
The one and only

Oh my god....

"Police crash investigator Sen-Sgt Bellion calls for ‘survivable’ 80km/h limit on undivided roads"

Is this a real police officer or a fake name used to lessen the embarrassment?

If it is a real Senior Sergeant, then he must have made his way through the ranks quickly as he sounds like he is 10 years old.

So he wants people to take longer getting to their destination, make the roads more congested. More aggravated road users. Higher tempers.

My advice to Sen-Sgt Bellion. Buy some bubble wrap, You seem to precious to be on the road, so wrap yourself up and lock yourself in a padded room.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #51
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If head ons on undivided roads is the issue why don't they just make these roads one-way. This would have the added benefit of doubling the amount of lanes.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #52
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

80?? Too fast. I rekon if it was 60 the survival rate would be higher? Hang on... I guess if we were driving 30, we would impact at such a slow rate that we would have time to bail out the door.

Lets make it 20? This way, we have time to call the person that we are about to hit to warn them of the imminent impact... oh, can't call while driving.

So... perhaps if we push the cars rather than drive them, there is a larger crumple zone to absorb the impact.. oh, we are a nation of brake checking tailgaters.. so no good. My *** has nil space to crumple.

Lets all walk then??? Turn all motorways into large footpaths. Will save the government zillions in health as we will all become slim and healthy in the process.

Oh, but some of us need to actually get places in a certain timeframe. One brighter spark will then ask, why are we walking on these freeways when we used to drive on them at 100-110 in newer cars that are pretty cheap and much safer than they were 15-20 years ago when the limits were still the same.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #53
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
If head ons on undivided roads is the issue why don't they just make these roads one-way. This would have the added benefit of doubling the amount of lanes.
yeah, but how do you get home? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Oh great, I live out in the middle of tum buk too and my roads are all "country highways", the day they go 80km/h is the day I kill myself, I'd die of old age before I got to work.
given that 80% of the roads are not divided, it basically becomes a state-wide limit. and i agree, 100 is very boring. i won't kill myself, tho i may have a lot of unpaid speeding tickets.
Old 30-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #54
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont let people be distracted by whats going on, there is a growing argument to actually increase speed limits on some rural roads up to 130kmh. You will see so called government 'experts' counteracting this push with a call to decrease, that way the government can keep everyone happy by keeping the limits the same, it is just away to avoid debating the merits of increasing the speed limits.

Australia is very unique, a lot of the rural undivided highways should be treated as divided as they have little oncoming traffic, ie you have the whole road to yourself 98% of the time. Head-ons are usually caused by inattention and fatigue, decreasing the speed limits will dramatically increase head-ons.

PS I dont know how people live in Victoria, I find the 100kmh rural limits bad enough. No wonder everyone there is moving to QLD, leaving the people who enjoy the nanny state to vote in the same government again.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #55
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
yeah, but how do you get home? :
This is a selfish attitude. Think of the children. :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

One things for sure.. They will double their revenue!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #57
73gscoupe

Quote:
When two cars crash, head on, the energy of the crash is absorbed by both cars in the crumple zone. hence, if both are travelling at 80 ks, each must absorb 80 k's worth (assuming the cars have identical crumple zones).

When you crash a car into a concrete barrier, the concrete does not deform, hence absorbs no energy. So all the energy must be absorbed by the cars crumple zone. So, this becomes indicative of a head on collision.

When your driving along, and a semi with a nice big bullbar collects you head on, the bull bar basically does not deform or absorb any energy. So its left up to you car to absorb all that energy. If you were travelling at 80, and he was traveling at 80, your effective speed is in fact close to 160.

So in answer to the problem it depends on how much the object you hit deforms.

Lowering to 80 kms is a rection to bad drivers, falling asleep, not watching the road. What can you do? People just dont care about the consequence of their actions.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #58
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Flappist, I think I got it. The energy/force applied when 2 cars hit head on is the same as a car hitting a wall at 200, but that energy is absorbed between 2 cars instead of one, so is shared, just like one car hitting a wall at 100. Your infinitely thin wall did it for me - nice explanation.

The impact on each car changes slightly when two vehicles of different mass hit (let's assume squarely head on, because vectors will change the force being applied and to whom), because the energy is still the same but the force applied by each mass to the other is in proportion to it's size/mass, so the larger car will inflict more damage on the smaller and vice versa. Crumple zones help keep energy away from the occupants, but at the right speed, it will still make a mess, and sounds like the right speed is over 80.

No read it again.

The car was doing 100 and is now stopped. THAT IS ALL THAT WAS INVOLVED.
Old 30-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #59
scoupedy

when does this stop??? i heard that that the survivability of an accident at 0kmph is almost 100%

Quote:
Two objects with energy and two that absorb energy, as opposed to one object with energy and one that obsorbs the energy - your statement would be true if one of the cars in the head on doesn't get damaged or slow down at all in the collision- and therefore transmitting all of its energy into the other
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #60
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
80?? Too fast. I rekon if it was 60 the survival rate would be higher? Hang on... I guess if we were driving 30, we would impact at such a slow rate that we would have time to bail out the door.

Lets make it 20? This way, we have time to call the person that we are about to hit to warn them of the imminent impact... oh, can't call while driving.

So... perhaps if we push the cars rather than drive them, there is a larger crumple zone to absorb the impact.. oh, we are a nation of brake checking tailgaters.. so no good. My *** has nil space to crumple.

Lets all walk then??? Turn all motorways into large footpaths. Will save the government zillions in health as we will all become slim and healthy in the process.

Oh, but some of us need to actually get places in a certain timeframe. One brighter spark will then ask, why are we walking on these freeways when we used to drive on them at 100-110 in newer cars that are pretty cheap and much safer than they were 15-20 years ago when the limits were still the same.

Love it couldn't have said it better
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post