Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Which one is the brake again?

http://www.news.com.au/national/elde...-1225846663107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald Sun
Elderly driver is backward at reversing

A QUIET trip to the hardware store turned into a nightmare for an elderly driver.

While parking, the driver apparently mistook the accelerator for the brake pedal.

The car flew forward and smashed into a concrete wall at Bunnings on the Nepean Highway in Mentone, Victoria.

With the engine still revving, it seems he may have then slipped the car into reverse.

It flew backwards at some speed, mounted a curb and smashed into two parked cars, narrowly missing a shopper.

And with the engine still revving, it seems the driver then put it back into forward gear, propelling the car back into the wall.

Police, the fire brigade and ambulance attended, the car was a write-off and the driver, who has not been named, was taken to hospital.
I hope the Police review the man's licence. This man has narrowly avoided hitting someone, damaged 2 cars, but despite hitting the same object twice and parked cars from hitting the wrong pedal, no-one in the press is having a go at the driver's skills, or lack thereof.

I think careless driving would be fair - if your abilities are that far gone yet you still get behind the wheel - it is criminal. I 100% believe this was an accident, but I don't accept that someone who has hit the wrong pedal, driven forwards then selected reverse and drive again is fit for the road.

But do a little burnout and you're public enemy no 1 - just ask Lewis

Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
RRM
Starter Motor

This sentence - the logical structure has serious problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
if your abilities are that far gone yet you still get behind the wheel - it is criminal. I 100% believe this was an accident...
So... is it criminal, or is it an accident? I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
But do a little burnout and you're public enemy no 1 - just ask Lewis
You have a problem with oldies getting all confused and making a mistake, but someone deliberately breaking traction for no reason should be perfectly acceptable behaviour on public roads? I'm confused... again...
RRM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police will say it was speed related.
Old 29-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
buggo
[BU66OS]

If he was 17 his car would get crushed.
But seriously, if you make that kind of stuff up, surely his lisence should be up for review.
I see alot of older people make careless mistakes and misjudge spaces while merging, parking or going 25% below the limit all the time. It's really not safe to drive, for both there sake and otheres, when your memory, reactions, instincts has fallen to this level.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Police will say it was speed related.
Which is in fact correct...

Because he wouldn't have hit the wall, the cars, or anything else if he was stationary (ie: Speed 0km/h)...
Old 29-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
If he was 17 his car would get crushed.
But seriously, if you make that kind of stuff up, surely his lisence should be up for review.
I see alot of older people make careless mistakes and misjudge spaces while merging, parking or going 25% below the limit all the time. It's really not safe to drive, for both there sake and otheres, when your memory, reactions, instincts has fallen to this level.
Which is why you should have to review your license (or do a refresher course) every 5 years... every 2 years once you are over 60 perhaps?

I'm sure there is rules out there that I don't know or understand 100%... and i've only been driving for 12 years...
Old 29-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
satria
FOXWHO

HE IS A HOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!

oh wait he is old so he isn't.

I'm confused, it is clearly a speed related incident possibly involving alcohol. Maybe he was drag racing the pedestrian?

I think he was hooning no matter what happened.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM
This sentence - the logical structure has serious problems.

So... is it criminal, or is it an accident? I'm confused.

You have a problem with oldies getting all confused and making a mistake, but someone deliberately breaking traction for no reason should be perfectly acceptable behaviour on public roads? I'm confused... again...
It was an accident - I'm sure Mr Magoo didn't decide to go and crash into a wall.
Criminal due to being careless - he wasn't exercising a degree of care and attention that a reasonable driver should exercise.

Just as someone running into the back of a car could be charged with the same offence - it is an accident - one that is avoidable.

Which one is more serious - Lewis spinning the wheels and hitting nothing or an incompetent elderly driver getting the pedals mixed up, hitting 2 cars, narrowly missing a pedestrian and hitting a concrete wall twice, writing off their car? According to the press, Lewis Hamilton is a bigger problem
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Poor old gaff.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria
HE IS A HOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!

oh wait he is old so he isn't.

I'm confused, it is clearly a speed related incident possibly involving alcohol. Maybe he was drag racing the pedestrian?

I think he was hooning no matter what happened.
Where the hell did you get that it possibly involve alcohol or did I miss something in the artical.

I also agree with the thoughts that there should be testing done after a certain age but where do you set it at.

My wifes grandma is in her mid to late 80's but drives better than some of the younger generation so where would the age be set

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
Where the hell did you get that it possibly involve alcohol or did I miss something in the artical.
i was just rambling like the cops do when there is an accident reported in the news. Nobody knows what's happened yet they say stupid things like "it looks to be a crash possibly involving speed and alcohol". It could have involved a UFO for all they know but they always mention speed and alcohol.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Been there, seen that...... actually I was hit by one of those. Pulled up outside a deli behind a crusty old dodderer in an EF, he had to be 90 if he was a day, and jumped out of the milk truck to ask him to move forward 1 space so I could get off the road properly ( I was delivering milk). I climbed back in the cab and waited; next thing I hear/see the car redline then suddenly smoke up and slam back into me so hard it snapped 5 of the 6 high tensile bolts holding my bullbar on and that was from just 4 feet away. This old fool was so slow to react he sat there for another 5 seconds smoking up the tyres against the front of the truck before he got off the throttle and moved forward again. He could barely walk ... well, shuffle really and was hard to understand as he stuttered and struggled to articulate properly and, as we exchanged details, my 4 year old had better hand writing he was shaking so much (and not from the crash either), maybe parkinsons or altzimers or something, I don't know. Yet 3 weeks later there he was, car fixed, pulling up outside the deli again to get his morning paper to my total disbelief. How he didn't get his licence revoked I'll never know.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Which is why you should have to review your license (or do a refresher course) every 5 years... every 2 years once you are over 60 perhaps?

I'm sure there is rules out there that I don't know or understand 100%... and i've only been driving for 12 years...
I think there is something like this. My grandad had to renew his lisence, but he was well over 70, and it my just be a matter of going into the RTA, getting your photo taken and have a nice day. There comes a point where this isn't adequete, and should be ask kindly to hand in there lisence, walk down the street and grab a bus home, via the RSL.
But I'm also not 100% on the procedures on this, so it my already be like this.
But yes, entriely agree with having a test after 60.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 29-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

These sorts of silly 'accidents' happen all too often and are laughed off or explained away with words like "mistake" but when someone gets injured or killed, what will happen then?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
I think there is something like this. My grandad had to renew his lisence, but he was well over 70, and it my just be a matter of going into the RTA, getting your photo taken and have a nice day. There comes a point where this isn't adequete, and should be ask kindly to hand in there lisence, walk down the street and grab a bus home, via the RSL.
But I'm also not 100% on the procedures on this, so it my already be like this.
But yes, entriely agree with having a test after 60.
There isn't a test, or anything close to it...

My father in law 61 years old is blind... he has between 3-5% vision... has been on disability pension (due to being so blind he cannot work) for the past 20years...

He has a valid drivers license, and actually only just sat for his boat license around 2 years ago... and by his own admission, would fail an eye test outright if he was asked to sit one...

So long as he keeps paying renewal on his license, he will continue to hold a valid drivers license...

And when he sat his boat license, he was not required to do an eye test because he held a current vaild drivers license...

I've spoken to a couple of police officers who have said that he would 'in the eyes of the law' (pardon the pun) be legally allowed to drive a car...

Thats our system now... Bravo Vicroads / VIC Government... Bravo...
Old 29-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In QLD over 70 they need a Dr certificate to say they can drive and I think from memory
that it is only valid for 2yrs at a time.

There is a definate problem with this though. My mother is 78 and still has a drivers licence.
Doctors reason being is that "she doesn't drive far." Now my mother lives on the Gold Coast
and only 6 months ago drove to Darwin, I feel sorry for the dog in the back of the car the
poor little mutt must have been crapin the whole way there.
She is my mother and I love her dearly but she shouldn't be on the road, she is a danger.

Thankfully after numerous conversations over the last 18months or so I have finally convinced
her that she should sell the car and stop driving, Car is now on market I believe.
All this being said the Dr only just gave her another certificate 2 months ago so it is by my persuation
not the Dr saying she can't drive like he should have. :
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
buggo
[BU66OS]

Wow this system is so flawed, why not give keys to a person with no arms.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 29-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But yes, entriely agree with having a test after 60
My mother's driving is pretty scary. She is 77.

wasn't there a 'forgot which pedal was the brake' story not long ago with a pic of a car hanging half off the parking garage?
Old 29-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
Den76
Phantom cruiser

Quote:

Fully agree, there are a lot of the elderly generation that need to get re tested to atleast prove their worthy of driving,
The unfortuant side is a lot of them depend soley on driving to carry out their day to day life and without there licence they will have to depend on other modes of transport (i.e public transport, community based transport or relatives) which will then require an upgrade to cope.
Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #20
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I wonder if the media reported on every "Forgot which Pedal" incident on elderly people instead of P platers crashing and hooning, how soon the government would identify it as a serious issue and address it....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
wasn't there a 'forgot which pedal was the brake' story not long ago with a pic of a car hanging half off the parking garage?
There was also a "couldnt tell the difference between a green light and a red light" in WA a couple of years back and someone got killed with that one.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
redman

Quote:
There isn't a test, or anything close to it...

My father in law 61 years old is blind... he has between 3-5% vision... has been on disability pension (due to being so blind he cannot work) for the past 20years...

He has a valid drivers license, and actually only just sat for his boat license around 2 years ago... and by his own admission, would fail an eye test outright if he was asked to sit one...

So long as he keeps paying renewal on his license, he will continue to hold a valid drivers license...

And when he sat his boat license, he was not required to do an eye test because he held a current vaild drivers license...

I've spoken to a couple of police officers who have said that he would 'in the eyes of the law' (pardon the pun) be legally allowed to drive a car...

Thats our system now... Bravo Vicroads / VIC Government... Bravo...
I suggest you have a look at the Vic Roads site, under "Licences", then Medical Conditions and driving". There is a short article that points out that you may report a driver.

From the Vic Roards site...

"Reporting a medically unfit driver
If you are genuinely concerned about someone’s ability to drive safely, write us a letter with their details (eg. name, address) and the reasons for your concern. Under Victorian law, we must investigate this information."

The investigation usually involves Vic Roards "inviting" the driver to supply current medical information, including valid eye tests. If they fail, the license will be cancelled.

One further point, in the time frame between notification of the cancelled license and it actually taking effect, make sure you sell the car as you need the license to effect disposal. Also use the soon to be cancelled license as an identity aid to aapply for something like a KeyPass Photo ID.

Regards.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman
I suggest you have a look at the Vic Roads site, under "Licences", then Medical Conditions and driving". There is a short article that points out that you may report a driver.

From the Vic Roards site...

"Reporting a medically unfit driver
If you are genuinely concerned about someone’s ability to drive safely, write us a letter with their details (eg. name, address) and the reasons for your concern. Under Victorian law, we must investigate this information."

The investigation usually involves Vic Roards "inviting" the driver to supply current medical information, including valid eye tests. If they fail, the license will be cancelled.

One further point, in the time frame between notification of the cancelled license and it actually taking effect, make sure you sell the car as you need the license to effect disposal. Also use the soon to be cancelled license as an identity aid to aapply for something like a KeyPass Photo ID.

Regards.
Fair point - but I will not do that...

The problems that would be caused throughout my in-law's family and the fingerpointing/dramas (even if done discretely and completely anonymous) are more dangerous than him holding a license...

I raise the issue mainly to point out the flaws in the system. If the system changed and he had it revoked through that - that is fine...
Old 29-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Wow, I've seldom happened upon such a large ignorance extravaganza as this.
Judging by the posts of most of you whom have an obvious bias against the elderly you would consign over 3 million of the population to catching the bus because one aged man had an accident at a bunnings?
The obvious bias doesn't seem to end there either; the young "I'm a P plater and the cops pick on me for doing burnouts/speeding/idiotic behaviour" seems as though it is justification for vilifying a whole demographic.
Grow up people, if you manage to get out of your pre-pubescent state of ignorance you may too get old, and equally have young ignoramuses calling for you to turn in your licence just because you have reached a certain age.

Quote: