Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Ford Australia and quality?

I dropped into work at Honda today to tell my boss that I'm coming up for some surgery on my foot next week. Anyways I went across the road to Ford and I jumped in an FG XR6, I saw the bonnet opening latch thing inside the drivers footwell, just under the dash and I pulled on it, not very hard thinking thats how you open the bonnet (like how you do on my Fiesta and Honda's) and the latch snapped off in my hand.

Is the FG plagued with problems like this or is it just a once off thing?

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Is the FG plagued with problems like this or is it just a once off thing?

Of course it's you Damo....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

You broke it you bought it! :
Old 27-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Did you do the old "Quick look to the left, then right, no one looking so a I will quietly have a look at the other car like nothing happened" trick?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Did you do the old "Quick look to the left, then right, no one looking so a I will quietly have a look at the other car like nothing happened" trick?
Hell yes.

I Evac'd quick.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Sadly it's always been an issue with fit n' finish for FoA.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
CFOUR
The Destroyer

ba's had a serious problem with this.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to be honest ive never seen an update bonnet latch (fitted from BF onwards and available as a replacement for the dodgy BA one) break... so either you found a rare dodgy one or you're just a little heavy handed
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The ones on Hondas are pretty stiff, so you have to pull fairly hard and you pull the whole thing towards you. I think I might have grabbed it the wrong way, instead of flipping the latch towards me I pulled on it and it snapped off.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
kezzer

Nothing wrong with mine, how hard -did- you pull????
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I didn't rip it really hard, I grabbed it and pulled it towards me and it come off and fell out into my hand.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

That's OK, it'll probably get sold to a sales rep who doesn't believe in maintenance....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That's OK, it'll probably get sold to a sales rep who doesn't believe in maintenance....
Wouldn't surprise me haha, I went inside the dealership to buy some parts from spares a few weeks ago and there was a yelling fight going on between two mechanics and the spare parts guys getting involved, and everyone in there dresses like bogans.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
Kryton

I think it may have broke due to you not using it correctly.
As you've found out, you dont just reach in and pull, you need to grab the lever and kind of pull it towards the floor (if that made sense?).

i have almost 200000km on my BA and i pop the bonnet at least once a week - to this point, i have not broke the bonnet release a single time.

Maybe, the times they do brake is simply due to people that think its the old pull the handle type release instead of pulling the lever towards the floor - could it be that simple?

I know when i bought the AU (some 9 years ago now), i went to pop the bonnet when i first got it home and ripped the lever straight out of its mounts.
Being used to old cars, i just assumed it was the pull towards yourself type and it broke - luckily though, i managed to clip it back in place and never had a problem with it again.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

FG TGW ratings are a massive improvement over previous models, as are the number of warranty claims. They are best in class, even better than Aurion.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

My FG has been pretty good. The bumper wasn't fitted correctly and paint was rubbing off, the climate control failed, but was fixed, otherwise has been a beaut car.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #17
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool bonnet catch

Ive got an AU Fairmont and have never had a problem with the catch in seven years
I bought the Mrs a BA Ghia and the first time I opened the bonnet the catch broke off in my hand
I had a look how it worked and used some pliers to get it open
the cable runs through the engine bay and then through the mud guard
and out of sight
so I went to the wreckers and for $15 I got another cable but I found it easier to dismantle the handle part by pulling out the pin and replacing the handle not the whole lot
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #18
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bloody hope their quality is better now than the ba as i swear mine was put together by a 2yr old
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one thing i`ve noticed these days , no one seems to bother lubeing door hinges bonnet catches these days, once upon a time these items would be even part of a basic service, it takes a lot of load off cables.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
I think it may have broke due to you not using it correctly.
As you've found out, you dont just reach in and pull, you need to grab the lever and kind of pull it towards the floor (if that made sense?).

i have almost 200000km on my BA and i pop the bonnet at least once a week - to this point, i have not broke the bonnet release a single time.

Maybe, the times they do brake is simply due to people that think its the old pull the handle type release instead of pulling the lever towards the floor - could it be that simple?

I know when i bought the AU (some 9 years ago now), i went to pop the bonnet when i first got it home and ripped the lever straight out of its mounts.
Being used to old cars, i just assumed it was the pull towards yourself type and it broke - luckily though, i managed to clip it back in place and never had a problem with it again.
Ditto - its the way you use it, its like a belt buckle...my AUII was fine, BA still fine and FG super fine.

None of my 'Coons have had warranty issues..2* AU, 1 x BA and FG...thats over 500,000km and still going strong
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yeah, I'd put it down to me being at fault, but I think its a pretty weird design, never come across a car with the little catch thing like that, its exactly like a belt buckle. The one on my Fiesta is mounted in the dash in the driver footwell and it feels like you break it every time you go to open it because how the flap stays open.

Though, I've never worked on Falcons or owned one.

If I was going to buy another new car, It'd be an FG XR6 in manual or a new Honda Accord Euro, also in manual, they're both sweet cars.
Old 28-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #22
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

You get what you pay for I reckon,
Don't get me wrong, the Falcon is a good, reliable, cheap car, hence, why I own one, but it's no Mercedes Benz!
I think a few people on these forums have a real chip on their shoulder about expensive euros and imports, but if you've ever actually sat and driven a nice Merc or Audi/BMW, you'll notice that the fit and finish of the car is superior to that of the locally built Falcon.
Yes, you're right, they are very pricey and not that cost effective but, you get a car that's been engineered to a very high standard, with a lot of r&d gone into it. Also, you get parts that aren't manufactured by the lowest bidder.

That said, I think the Falcon does damn well in terms of quality for the money, the little annoyances like dodgy handbrakes and dodgy bonnet releases don't really taint an otherwise good car.

Anyway, you buy what you can afford right?
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #23
bunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Sadly it's always been an issue with fit n' finish for FoA.
Sadly its also obvious when utterly non-factual sweeping generalisations are made.

The bonnet latches work perfectly if used as intended - pull down rather than out.

As has been mentioned - the Orion has been consistently better than the Aurion (the commodore isn't even worth mentioning in the same discussion) for some time now in the customer surveys (NVQS/GQRS). TGW is at an all time low.
bunna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #24
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
I think a few people on these forums have a real chip on their shoulder about expensive euros and imports, but if you've ever actually sat and driven a nice Merc or Audi/BMW, you'll notice that the fit and finish of the car is superior to that of the locally built Falcon.
You can add VW to that, even my golf has better fit and finish than the locals

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
03wrx

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I dropped into work at Honda today to tell my boss that I'm coming up for some surgery on my foot next week
On a completely different subject. What happened to your foot and what surgery are you having done ? Before you think :, I'm a foot/ ankle surgeon
03wrx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #26
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG's might be fine but the recent problem of the Territory ball joint failure is a VERY serious one that FoMoCo could have handled alot better...... Brakes and or steering should NEVER fail and these are exactly the types of build issues Ford have built ther 'unreliable/poor quality' reputation from..... And then they turn a blind eye at warranty time also....... Not good....And just more ammo for the opposition... :
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Before i bought my TE i looked at a couple of BA/F's and i found a lot of broken latches. Some completely missing others just hanging down on the floor. Have never had any trouble in either of my AU's
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #28
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Same here, not the kays part, but I have had my BA for nearly 4 years and sometimes open the bonnet 3-4 times a week to fill the washer bottle and have never has an issue with the latch or lever. I think some people need to stop trying to use brute force to do things and use a little finess instead

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah the fit aint the greatest in the Falcons. Sit in a good 15 year old Japanese car and you realise Aussie cars arent screwed together all that well, but I guess weve gotten used to it, given our limited resources of the Aussie manufacturers something has gotta give.

And yep Ive broken a latch in my BA. And no i dont cop the argument thats its user abuse, never broken a latch in any other car. Its a pretty crummy design, whats wrong with the old skool latch style, impossible to break.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrx
On a completely different subject. What happened to your foot and what surgery are you having done ? Before you think :, I'm a foot/ ankle surgeon
I've got some pretty bad soft tissue infection in my right foot and getting my big toenail completely removed, cutting out skin on my big toe and stretching it back to stop ingrown toenails from occuring. My whole right foot is swollen up and my big toe bleeds and puss comes out of it all the time. My 4th operation, one on my left foot for ingrown toenail which has healed up perfectly fine, this is going to be my 3rd on my right foot.