Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I do see your points and they are very valid.

I suppose the points on badge engineering are all a matter of perspective. As FPV is part owned by Prodrive and Prodrive had a large input into the R&D of the Focus RS, would FPV re doing a hot hatch not be Prodrive reinventing their own work? Local engineering is fine but not when it is change for the sake of change on a already class leading product.

FPV have the business mantra that they will only R&D australian work, which at the time they began was a good thing. The problem is that does not now fit in Fords own "One Ford" business model that they are working towards.

The real question is, are they going to ignore a large growth market on the basis of business principles that were set down in a different economic climate? Personally I do not think they will, the sales of cars like the Lancer Evolution X MR, Subaru STI, Golf R32 and Mini JCW are evidence that there is a market in Australia for a high end performance smaller car. This is something I believe Ford and FPV would be crazy to turn their back on, that market is growing.

Personally, I see no problem, even with the FPV mantra in mind. FPV could quite rightfully take the Focus RS, make some changes to the badging, interior etc and sell it with their heads held high based on the direct link with Prodrive. Just as long as they leave the mechanicals alone, I would seriously look at it. If they do not, our next performance small car at this stage is likely to have a Mini or VW badge, end of story. I know we are not alone, have a look around, it is not rare to see a FPV or HSV parked in a driveway alongside a WRX, Evo or GTI.

Personally, I don't care if Ford or FPV bring in an RS, whatever badge I will seriously consider it. I would prefer it wears FPV badges (it would match my other FPV nicely) but I would still buy it with Ford badges. I just believe with the performance characteristics of the RS, it belongs in the FPV stable and not the Ford stable. Perhaps it even belongs in the performance stable more than some of the present occupants, it out performs them.
I've never heard of any Prodrive involvement in the Focus RS. Are you sure they were involved. I thought all the work was done by Team RS.

I don't understand why Ford don't just bring in 100 RS's, as Mitsubishi did in the past with the TME Evos, and other brands have done with particular models in small batches. I think you can bring in up to 100 of a particular model and not have to have full ADR compliance if it passes similar compliance requirements in other markets. Or something along those lines. I know that if you only bring in 100 or less it is much easier and cheaper to put it on sale here.

Someone else might be able to explain it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I may be wrong about the Prodrive, that was the impression I got. I don't think it really matters, FPV can make enough changes without hitting key mechanicals to make it something worth their lineup without losing their corporate face.

Personally I think as long as it is a couple of grand cheaper than a WRX STI on the road, it will be considered reasonable. It is selling well against the STI and Evo X MR in other markets, why not here?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #63
glavas

okay well the last time i was in a mini was back in 2006 i think so i guess they have changed then.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #64
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0305-pog0.html

Quote:
FPV's change of Focus

TOBY HAGON
March 8, 2010

Ford's FPV performance division could soon have its first true pocket rocket for Australia as the world downsizes and looks to more efficient vehicles.

Ford product development group vice-president Derrick Kuzak told Drive at the Geneva motor show that a new hot hatch based on the next-generation Ford Focus would generate a performance model that could wear an FPV badge.

"We will produce a global performance model of the next-generation Focus," said Mr Kuzak, who confirmed it would use Ford's newly branded EcoBoost range of turbocharged engines.

Ford told Drive at January's Detroit motor show that the Focus hot hatch would use a version of the 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine that would power the Falcon from next year.

"We haven't talked about the nomenclature yet," Mr Kuzak said when questioned about what the new Focus hot hatch could be called. "[FPV] is a very strong brand in Australia and our performance vehicles will be global."

A natural rival to the Volkswagen Golf GTI and Subaru Impreza WRX, the hot-shot Focus has been sold in Australia as a Focus XR5, with a Volvo-sourced turbocharged five-cylinder engine. Ford also has a more expensive and better-performing Focus model called the RS but it has not yet been talked about for use in Australia.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #65
Bakis
XR6ED

Import about 25 a month, they will sell them... This thing has 224kw and 440nm. World most powerful FWD car. Price margin should be about 47 - 57k. This is about 3 - 10 more then MPS3 and Astra VRX but this is alot more car then those and the GTI for that matter...

The RS is more on an STI/Golf R/Audi S3 and BMW130 and 135i level, and they all cost at least 59 - 79k.

I'd trade in my MPS for this without a doubt... People in UK get mid 13's from these stock lol, there an animal.

Weekend Cruiser/Project -1993 ED XR6

XR6ED Thread
Bakis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #66
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the look of it. I also think Europe knows what it is doing. Why mess with it?

However, IMO, no amount of techno babble will ever convince me that that much power through the front wheels is a good idea. I have previously owned a WRX, and am yet to find a better handling car RWD or FWD. For, me either less power or AWD would make it better. (not a dig, just an opinion).

Having said that, I still like the car. Alot. But I would rather buy the WRX if I was in the market for a small car. Whether the Focus is quicker or not, is not really of importance to me. I would just rather what I feel more comfortable in.

On the the other hand, the Focus if it had AWD, would win hands down for me. I would rather Euro engineering than Japanese.

Gecko makes a very valid point about the weight factor, but also AWD stresses the driveline more aswell.

I personally don't believe FPV have anything of value to add to the RS. Again, just an opinion.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #67
bigdude1011

Is it possible to SEVS-import the Focus RS?
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #68
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

cant believe FPV want to reinvent the wheel.... why not bring the dam thing over here and FPV look after the sales all whilst focusing more on the F6 and V8 GT's?? :
FG XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:32 AM   #69
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakis
World most powerful FWD car.
Only if you're Jeremy Clarkson and 'the world' doesn't extend further than a borders of the Unted Kingdom. The Ford Focus RS isn't and never was the most powerful FWD car. That honor, as far as I am aware, is claimed by the Aussie built TRD Aurion, which had 20hp more (323hp).

Sorry to be a stickler about the details like that, it just irks me when Brits or Americans* claim such things and they're plainly false.

*(see Dodge Ram SRT-8 being 'the worlds fastest pickup', which is the same case - isn't and never was at any stage, by any agenda-free definition).
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #70
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
Only if you're Jeremy Clarkson and 'the world' doesn't extend further than a borders of the Unted Kingdom. The Ford Focus RS isn't and never was the most powerful FWD car. That honor, as far as I am aware, is claimed by the Aussie built TRD Aurion, which had 20hp more (323hp).

Sorry to be a stickler about the details like that, it just irks me when Brits or Americans* claim such things and they're plainly false.

*(see Dodge Ram SRT-8 being 'the worlds fastest pickup', which is the same case - isn't and never was at any stage, by any agenda-free definition).

yes the aurion may have like 20 more kw but im preety sure the rs has more tourqe? 440 compared to 400. so how do you like those appels?

id rather 40 more nm then 20 kw
Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #71
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
yes the aurion may have like 20 more kw but im preety sure the rs has more tourqe? 440 compared to 400. so how do you like those appels?

id rather 40 more nm then 20 kw
Maybe so but the claim of "most powerful", means Kw. If the claim was most torque through a FWD you would be correct.

How do you like those apples?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #72
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Maybe so but the claim of "most powerful", means Kw. If the claim was most torque through a FWD you would be correct.

How do you like those apples?

they taste quite bitter in my mouth!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #73
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
they taste quite bitter in my mouth!
: : :
Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #74
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
went looking out of curiosity, did you mean production pickup?

Quote:
“HSV’s Maloo R8 Ute breaks into Guinness World Records"
Holden Special Vehicles has added itself to the list of Australians with world record status by officially breaking the Guinness World Record for the top land speed reached by a production standard utility/pick up truck.

The record was last set in February 2004 by Daimler Chrylser in a Dodge RAM SRT-10 8.3 litre V10, with a top speed of 248.783 km/h. HSV’s LS2 6.0 litre V8 Maloo R8 Ute smashed the barrier set by the Dodge, setting the new speed at 271.44 kph. The run was conducted under strictly controlled conditions on the Federal Governments Woomera Prohibited Area in outback South Australia with HSV’s five time Australian Touring car and Bathurst winning champion Mark Skaife at the helm.
http://www.hsv.com.au/news/2006/fastest_ute.html

hsv, oh, god, no! :
Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #75
Kamshaaft

Yeah. I didn't want to mention the brand. Credit where credit's due, I guess, now that you've uncovered the dark truth. I would be interested to see how an F6 ute would do..

..no doubt outstrip the Dodge as well. 30km/h is a pretty significant gap, too.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #76
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We should petition for Ford to send out an F6 and see how it goes. Or can the factory speed limiter not be removed?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #77
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
We should petition for Ford to send out an F6 and see how it goes. Or can the factory speed limiter not be removed?
If the speed limiter was removed then it would be "modified" and therefore inelegible.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #78
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Lets get back on topic with the FPV Focus thanks
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #79
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Lets get back on topic with the FPV Focus thanks
OK, RS badged as FPV in ego thanks Mr FPV!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #80
Kamshaaft

Well I'm pretty happy they're bringing it here anyway, it looks like a little Messerschmitt of a thing.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #81
glavas

Quote:
Well I'm pretty happy they're bringing it here anyway, it looks like a little Messerschmitt of a thing.

ive never herd that phrase before?

but if i no my war history. witch i do quite well does it have to with the Messerschmitt 262 being the best jet fighter of ww2. so you saying its a "Messerschmitt of a thing" means its the best hatch at the current point in time? despite its flaw being fwd? but the me 262 also had flaws aswell.

Last edited by glavas; 09-03-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #82
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
despite its flaw being fwd?
Compared to what, a mint EB II Falcon S Pack being the perfect car??
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #83
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
ive never herd that phrase before?

but if i no my war history. witch i do quite well does it have to with the Messerschmitt 262 being the best jet fighter of ww2. so you saying its a "Messerschmitt of a thing" means its the best hatch at the current point in time? despite its flaw being fwd? but the me 262 also had flaws aswell.

More edit's are required in your post.

Please proof read it
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post