Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default FPV Focus....

No Not the RS.......

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0303-ph19.html

Quote:
FPV set to chase GTI

TOBY HAGON
March 3, 2010

Ford hints that Ford Performance Vehicles will offer a turbocharged hot-hatch to compete with VW's icon.

Ford's FPV performance division could soon have its first true pocket rocket for Australia as the world downsizes and looks to more efficient vehicles.

Ford product development boss Derrick Kuzak told Drive at the 2010 Geneva motor show that a new hot-hatch based on the next-generation Ford Focus would generate a performance model that could wear an FPV badge.

"We will produce a global performance model of the next-generation Focus," said Kuzak, who confirmed it would use Ford's newly-branded EcoBoost range of turbocharged engines designed for maximum efficiency.

Ford told Drive at January's Detroit motor show that the Focus hot-hatch would use a version of the 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine that will power the Falcon from 2011.

"We haven't talked about the nomenclature yet," he said when questioned about what the new Focus hot hatch could be called.
[FPV] is a very strong brand in Australia and our performance vehicles will be global."

A natural rival to the Volkswagen Golf GTI and Subaru Impreza WRX, the hot-shot Focus has been sold in Australia as a Focus XR5, complete with a Volvo-sourced turbocharged five-cylinder engine.

Ford also has an even more expensive and better performing Focus model called the RS, but it has not yet been spoken about for use in Australia.

As part of the push to design single vehicles for the world under the brand's "One Ford" policy, Australia could benefit from a raft of new arrivals to complement the Focus and Fiesta.

Options include the Kuga city-friendly four-wheel-drive and a compact people mover.

HSV has previously dabbled with four-cylinder hot-hatches, with the Astra VXR.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last time the number crunchers ran the numbers over the FOCUS RS it was going to cost over $50k and considered too expensive. But it would be good to see it here, with the Fiesta version.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Fingers crossed. I'd be all over that like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I thought that after the F6X, FPV said they will only be doing Falcons...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would the article have pictures of the RS if it isn't the RS they are talking about?

Wierdos
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Would it not be just the yet to be released Focus ST? I don't see the point quite frankly.
I would rather they import the ST and RS, save the money on the R&D (sorry I don't have any confidence that FPV could do a better job on the Focus than RS in Europe) and put it towards the Falcon related projects.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Would it not be just the yet to be released Focus ST? I don't see the point quite frankly.
I would rather they import the ST and RS, save the money on the R&D (sorry I don't have any confidence that FPV could do a better job on the Focus than RS in Europe) and put it towards the Falcon related projects.
Nope, Focus ST = Focus XR5 Turbo. Been around for a while now.

Agree, import the RS and leave it as it is. I don't see any issues with the price being $50k+, the STI Impreza is $60-65k and there is plenty of those on the road.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I know, I have one.
What I was trying to say is, instead of FPV building their own Focus, with Focus 3 due out soon, with a new ST in a year or two after (with the new EB 4 cylinder turbo), it would have made more sense to use this to save $$.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why???????

Old 03-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Ibrox90
Banned

I love it,

Something Australia has been lacking
Back home in the UK you have the RS and the ST (XR5 Turbo)

I cant see why they'd bring one and not the other

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How well does the XR5 sell? I have not seen many but they may possibly be more of a "city" car.

If they are selling well then maybe there is a case for an up market version. I am sure FPV will do their sums before launching into it.

They are not really opposition for AWDs like WRX or Evo rather than Mazda 3 MPS etc. FPV sells well in the performance touring car market as it has an existing history as well as the artifical tribalism of V8SC.

Does Ford have any credibility in the hot rice bubble market or will it be to the WRX/EVO/GTi enthusiasts what the TRD Aurion was to FPV/HSV........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

A Sporty Focus was on my radar as my next car when I'd had news of it being built here. I'd since dropped that thought.

If it were an Oz fettled Focus it might be back on the radar again.

Lukeyson
Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Wally
XP Coupe

Looks like an E2's little brother to me.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know, I have one.
What I was trying to say is, instead of FPV building their own Focus, with Focus 3 due out soon, with a new ST in a year or two after (with the new EB 4 cylinder turbo), it would have made more sense to use this to save $$.
That's what I understood they're doing. FPV won't develop / build the hot focus, just possibly badge it here.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
I know, I have one.
Cool, my bad.

Agree, I would actually rather FPV not badge a ST/RS at all...Ford Europe should get the credit for creating such beasts! Not that FPV can't do the same to a Falcon/Territory.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Looks like an E2's little brother to me.
Now that you mention it, there is a resemblance. I think in the RS's case, IMO, they stopped short of going too far with the look. I love the look of the car, and if they had imported them and stuck a $50k sticker on the front when I was shopping for a hatch, I could well be driving one right now.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Agree, import the RS and leave it as it is. I don't see any issues with the price being $50k+, the STI Impreza is $60-65k and there is plenty of those on the road.
If the RS could be 10k less then the EVo/STI then I can see it working. There is a market for hot hatches, the XR5T sold very well.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Does Ford have any credibility in the hot rice bubble market or will it be to the WRX/EVO/GTi enthusiasts what the TRD Aurion was to FPV/HSV........
Yes....

For a company with a history of conservatism when it comes to model releases this seems out of character...
IMO its a waste of R+D funds that would serve them far better being spent on the Falcon variants....

Thumbs down for this idea, IMO it will be a flop.....

Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

my dads XR5 looks 10,000 times better than that! it looks like an XR5 on steroids, or better yet, a try hard rally car wannabe. i hope they dont drop the XR5 if this come to our shores! the only good thing about it is the engine.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Cool, my bad.

Agree, I would actually rather FPV not badge a ST/RS at all...Ford Europe should get the credit for creating such beasts! Not that FPV can't do the same to a Falcon/Territory.
I do believe that Prodrive developed some of the tech on the ST/RS anyway so in a roundabout way it is an FPV car.

I think if FPV were really serious about moving away from a one pony show their going to have to rethink their definition of "Performance"
Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #21
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

It wouldn't surprise me if he's talking about the Global Car that was mentioned in another article elsewhere.
I'm sure he was talking about having a FORD Halo car (Like Nissan GTR) that will be sold everywhere in the world.
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If they can make them and sell them for the right price i think this is an awsome idea!

An FPV Focus, Hell Yeah!! :
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #23
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADSKY
my dads XR5 looks 10,000 times better than that! it looks like an XR5 on steroids, or better yet, a try hard rally car wannabe. i hope they dont drop the XR5 if this come to our shores! the only good thing about it is the engine.
ummm this is a XR5 on steroids, it pretty much leaves the XR5 for dead and is considered to be one of the best hot hatches in the world.
It is what the WRX STi is the to the standard WRX.
It runs the same Volvo 2.5 I5 T as the ST/XR5 but with some mods.

I suggest you do some reading on the Focus 2 RS!!

If the RS was here I'd dump the XR5 in a heartbeat for it but alas it won't be and it isn't what the article is all about. The article is referring to the Focus 3 but for some reason is using pictures of the Focus 2 RS.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #24
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

my point is that the thng is freaking ugly compared to the XR5. maybe they should just apply the same mods to the XR5 power plant. im sure it would cut costs and would sell better due to the fact it looks alot more styleish than the RS and would be alot cheeper too. the average joe isnt going to go out and buy the RS but they will buy the XR, i know, my dad brought one! and he is no car nut. reguardless of weather they are talking about the series 2 or 3 im sure the series 3 XR will look 10,000 times better than the series 3 RS.

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The RS is awesome, the XR5 is too tame I reckon.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #26
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The RS is awesome, the XR5 is too tame I reckon.
have you ever driven one?

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
have you ever driven one?
No, but I was referring to looks.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #28
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
my point is that the thng is freaking ugly compared to the XR5.
That's your opinion, but you obviously don't understand the Euro RS models. The Escort Cosworth RS and Sierra RS were also pretty out there in terms of styling for their time. The car appeals to a certain market, not for everyone.
Quote:
maybe they should just apply the same mods to the XR5 power plant. im sure it would cut costs and would sell better due to the fact it looks alot more styleish than the RS and would be alot cheeper too.
Ahh I don't think so. For one thing, the I5 is no longer available due to Ford selling Volvo. The second issue, with the amount of power the RS has (about 230kw, 400+nm) and without the hefty suspension work of the RS the standard ST/XR5 would torque steer off at a 90 degree angle. So by the time the Xr5 is tuned to handle all that power it would have been better and cheaper to just use the RS. The RS will eat an XR5 alive, spit out the remains and re eat them.

Quote:
the average joe isnt going to go out and buy the RS but they will buy the XR, i know, my dad brought one! and he is no car nut. reguardless of weather they are talking about the series 2 or 3 im sure the series 3 XR will look 10,000 times better than the series 3 RS.
Average joe will buy a Corolla or something similar. Just because your dad bought a XR5 doesn't mean everyone thinks like him.

The RS a big step up from the XR5. You buy it because you want it and you like it the way it is. I guess there are many out there that think like that as Ford had sold out of the RS and had to extend the build by about 1000 more.

How can you say the Focus 3 XR will look better than the Focus 3 RS when neither have been shown yet (still under development by Ford in Europe). I assume you realise the RS and ST/XR5 are both developed by Ford Rallye Sport in Europe.

As I said before, you might want to research Ford RS models and understand them. Go and look at some reviews of the RS on youtube to understand the car.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #29
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
No, but I was referring to looks.
i supose looks wise it is "tamer" than the RS however i prefer more refined.
how anyone could call the XR5 "tame" is beyond me.

my dads XR5 (i dont have a pic of the front end)

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #30
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
It runs the same Volvo 2.5 I5 T as the ST/XR5 but with some mods.

Quote:
For one thing, the I5 is no longer available due to Ford selling Volvo.
so what engine does it run??? both? :

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE