Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Default Calling off chases?

I have noticed a pattern that has been forming but did'nt think too much of it until recently and has really got me thinking,here goes,why is it that the police(over here in nz not to sure about oz)when involved in a vehicle chase that ends in disaster or bad crash always state firstly that they called off the pursuit 100 metres before they crash(sometimes fatal) or a minute etc,it gets said after nearly evertime i see a chase on the news.What they are basically saying is these speedsters go even harder after they see the cops back off and make huge driving mistakes,would'nt it happen in the heat of a pursuit?,I just find it all a bit suspect to fall back on the calling off the pursuit line everytime someone is killed or injured...Your thoughts.

HSVKILLA is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVKILLA
I have noticed a pattern that has been forming but did'nt think too much of it until recently and has really got me thinking,here goes,why is it that the police(over here in nz not to sure about oz)when involved in a vehicle chase that ends in disaster or bad crash always state firstly that they called off the pursuit 100 metres before they crash(sometimes fatal) or a minute etc,it gets said after nearly evertime i see a chase on the news.What they are basically saying is these speedsters go even harder after they see the cops back off and make huge driving mistakes,would'nt it happen in the heat of a pursuit?,I just find it all a bit suspect to fall back on the calling off the pursuit line everytime someone is killed or injured...Your thoughts.
I think calling off the pursuit does nothing to slow these guys down....
To be honest they'd have no idea the pursuit was called off anyway so in their minds they just keep going...

Your ideas or inferences though are treading a fine line.....

I still like my rocket launcher on police cars idea, stop them early......

Old 29-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've got to be kidding if you are suggesting what i think you are.

These pursuits are constantly being supervised, everything is recorded, voice and video as soon as the lights and sirens get put on.

This would all be given to the state coroner after a fatality has occurred after a police chase. They are scrutinised to the last detail.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
SVD

it doesn't stop the coroner being in on it though...
he does raise a good point though... go find one release by police after there has been a pursuit and an accident where they dont say that they called it off just before the accident...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alright, found one.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...189804538.html

When the current coroner is considered very against police i don't think she would be covering up for them (in NSW)
Old 29-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
ryanstev

The thing is, the offenders start driving dangerously on purpose, because they know the cops have to pull out of the chase due to that.

The problem is they're driving dangerously, so it's not surprising that they crash soon afterward, even after only 100 meters.
Old 29-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Do we have to go through this again, the last thread was what, three days ago?
Old 29-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Do we have to go through this again, the last thread was what, three days ago?
+1...

Old 29-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

+ 2 we have hammered this to death.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

It's because of the rabbits, too many rabbits in China.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They divert attention to what is going on behind - they can no longer see the police car and keep looking for it, not paying as much attention to where they are going and next thing that happens is a crash.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #12
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVKILLA
I agree mate - its a bit suss...

That's all I'm saying though. It seems I cant get away with as much as I used to around here.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
They divert attention to what is going on behind - they can no longer see the police car and keep looking for it, not paying as much attention to where they are going and next thing that happens is a crash.
seems pretty logical to me. no conspiracy going on there
Old 29-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Maybe that's why we don't hear about the pursuits that don't end in a fatal crash. Or maybe it's because there is no fatal and only fatals interest the media.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Having had experience in many police pursuits and also being pursuit controller on a few I will say that police in general are very professional in their approach, running and termination of pursuits. Victorian police cars are monitored by gps and the communications are recorded.

I do not think though the reported situations are "100 metres back". Maybe they are a small amount of time, but when vehicles are traveling at excessive speeds they can cover a fair amount of distance.

Police pursuits also involve a pursuit controller, normally a Sergeant, other units are monitored by a Senior Sergeant and sometimes an Inspector. Every pursuit which involves a fatality or serious injury is investigated by the MCIU and ESD and possibly the OPI. So if what you allege is correct the whole force would have to be in on the lie.
Old 30-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reason being its probably alot safer with a police car/s right up its clacker with the lights and sirens going, that way atleast the public can see and hear whats going on.
As soon as they back off, this fugitive doing warp speed is now basically invisible to the public as they cant see or hear anything until its too late.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #17
Apollo66
My toy

Location: South Ozz on the only leg Australia has to stand on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
To be honest they'd have no idea the pursuit was called off anyway so in their minds they just keep going...

With a descent war head to sufficiently subdue the offenders
:gren:
Apollo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Reason being its probably alot safer with a police car/s right up its clacker with the lights and sirens going, that way atleast the public can see and hear whats going on.
As soon as they back off, this fugitive doing warp speed is now basically invisible to the public as they cant see or hear anything until its too late.

Please don't let common sense destroy the conspiracy theory.
Old 30-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
That is a VERY good point......

Old 30-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

remember "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry"? like that...

hey, we're home free....splat!
Old 30-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a few ppl should walk a mile in a coppers shoes before they open up on here.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
I think a few ppl should walk a mile in a coppers shoes before they open up on here.
Absolutely, easy to be critical when you are talking from an observation point of view.

We have the same thing, getting complaints from people for pathetic things purely because the public do not understand the proceeses involved and the multitude of considerations that our actions require. Personally I feel sorry for the cops in these situations, trust me it does not sit well with them and no cop wishes for it to happen.

Time to give the cops a break, they don't create these problems. They are just trying to do a job that is often thankless and we need them. Our society is a better place with them around than we would have without them.
Old 30-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
What and make an informed comment instead of shooting off half c0cked?

Never!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman

Yep, agreed.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #25
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
I'd like to see some armchair warriors walk a mile at all!

Seems a lot of people just sit in their chair and whinge... (wait.. what am I doing right now... d'oh!)
Old 30-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It's because of the rabbits, too many rabbits in China.
Yep, I totally agree.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post