Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
tyxr8ute

Question "Shu Roo's" or similar, your opinion

G'day,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are of "Shu Roo's" or similar, do they work or not? I had a Shu Roo fitted on my old ute as piece of mind considering the gravel and roads I travel but never really new if it worked, here's the thing...

1) In all of the miles I covered through kangaroo infested roads near home I never hit a roo whilst in the same time frame there were 11 hits and many close calls from neighbours etc. From this you would say that it worked, or was it a fluke?

2) One day driving down the road I saw a mob of roo's about 20m away. To check and see if the Shu Roo actually worked I pointed my car at them to find that only one of the 15 roo's bothered to look up and then proceeded in eating grass again! WTF??

Reason I ask is whether I should bother putting the system on my new car. Just after everyones thoughts...

Cheers

2007 F6 Tornado #0067 - Lightning Strike

Member: FPV & XR Owners Club Of Victoria
tyxr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyxr8ute
G'day,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are of "Shu Roo's" or similar, do they work or not? I had a Shu Roo fitted on my old ute as piece of mind considering the gravel and roads I travel but never really new if it worked, here's the thing...

1) In all of the miles I covered through kangaroo infested roads near home I never hit a roo whilst in the same time frame there were 11 hits and many close calls from neighbours etc. From this you would say that it worked, or was it a fluke?

2) One day driving down the road I saw a mob of roo's about 20m away. To check and see if the Shu Roo actually worked I pointed my car at them to find that only one of the 15 roo's bothered to look up and then proceeded in eating grass again! WTF??

Reason I ask is whether I should bother putting the system on my new car. Just after everyones thoughts...

Cheers
I had this conversation with a panel beater a month ago. 90% of his business is roo damaged cars. He says they are worthless.
Old 24-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Mmm Yep , they're good gear ! ! ! :

Put Roo Whistles on the daughters car about 12 months ago because she was driving to a small village about 40 k's from here . Within 4 weeks on a Sunday night (11-30pm) a big Roo "sideswiped" her car , next night at 1-30 am she got one "fair square" . $2,200 damage .

Must have been "Deaf Roo's" .... :

Naa , didn't work for us

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
irsa76
Snoopping

The whistles don't work. The electronic ones it's hard to say. Some people swear they do and won't drive without them, others swear at them. Personally I've found see them works better, hence $600 worth of Cibie driving lights.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

The whistle ones arent worth anything - there's a reason theyre only $5 or so.

The electronic ones, hard to say but for the money you pay for them they would want to work. Ive priced one up for a customer and it was around $500 plus fitting.
Old 24-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I know a bloke who got them, "just in case'' in roo country for 10 years and never hit one, but ironically the night he got the shu-roo, one smacked into his back passenger door, and the weirdest part of it is, that night he ripped them off and threw them into the bush, he hasnt had a close call.... **cue spooky music**

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i have just fitted a set of the electronic "shu roo" to my ute last night so cant say if they work or not.

i am open minded enough to give them a try .i know quite a few people that have been using them for years ( some of them live in very heavy roo country ) and most of them swear that they work. others are undecided.

i did not want to fit a bull bar so i thought that the shu-roo might be a good alternative. i have already hit a wallaby last june . luckly i was only doing about 40kmh at the time when it came out from behind a guide post and long grass. it still cracked the paint on the front bumper and smashed the headlight cover.

the factory recomended price is $489.
the local for dealer wanted $530
autobahn wanted $500
local auto elect = $489
tjm 4x4 in toowoomba were $398
i ended up getting mine from Ross Grenada Motors in Mudgee NSW for $360 trade price. (my brother works there ) but i think they normally sell there for around $400.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

I wish i could show you pics of my mates camry that hit a roo on the stuart highway just past erldunda with the roo whistles attached
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Why not just get a bullbar if they are THAT big of a problem?
Old 25-02-2007, 02:56 AM   #10
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

A huge pair of light force driving lights is possibly the best insurance. And avoid driving at night if at all possible.
Old 25-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stationwagon
The whistles don't work. The electronic ones it's hard to say. Some people swear they do and won't drive without them, others swear at them. Personally I've found see them works better, hence $600 worth of Cibie driving lights.
Last week my wife watched a woman hit a big roo while accelerating to 80km/h heading towards a 100km/h zone ... at 8:45am in the morning. Obviously she could have seen it (daylight) and stopped if it was actually visible .. but it just jumped out of the bush (from a cutting) and landed dead in the centre of the womans lane.

The are getting REALLY bad lately; and I'm doubtful that whistles and whatnot help at all . I'm thinking about fitting the ute with a bullbar, but not sure if to use a SmartBar or an alloy one? I'm suspicious that an alloy bar will damage the subframe? Maybe I just should buy another old Jeep like I used to have ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

a friend of mine has had them for 11 years, hasnt had a roo once, but had a few close calls when the shu-roo unit was mounted back under his front bumper, he moved it forward just under his rego plate with the unit sticking out a lil, and since then he's noticed the 'roos moving away from the road at night when he's driving

seems the trick is to have the shu-roo unit as far forwar on the vehicle as you can get.....
Old 25-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Last week my wife watched a woman hit a big roo while accelerating to 80km/h heading towards a 100km/h zone ... at 8:45am in the morning. Obviously she could have seen it (daylight) and stopped if it was actually visible .. but it just jumped out of the bush (from a cutting) and landed dead in the centre of the womans lane.

The are getting REALLY bad lately; and I'm doubtful that whistles and whatnot help at all . I'm thinking about fitting the ute with a bullbar, but not sure if to use a SmartBar or an alloy one? I'm suspicious that an alloy bar will damage the subframe? Maybe I just should buy another old Jeep like I used to have ..
I posted this a while ago.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=56482

Just shows how much damage can be avoided by a professioally mounted roo bar.

A bit graphic, keep the young uns away.
Old 25-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #14
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Best protection is a bullbar IMO.
People seem to think that just because they have a Shu-Roo fitted, they can drive at 100kph through roo-infested country without hitting one.
They're unpredictable animals (Read- Stupid), they'll either jump towards the car, or jump off into the table drain. I can't see how a Shu-Roo can prevent then jumping towards the car, especially if they are really moving along.
I had Shu-roo approach me to sell them, I flatly said no. Most of my clients are not just protecting against Kangaroo strike, theres cattle, Emus etc etc. They much prefer a bullbar, and so do I.
Old 25-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate I have 4 of them mounted on my Bull bar of MY 4WD and I see a few roos in my travels but am yet to hit one.

IMO They cost $5 or what ever it is so it’s hardly as big cash out lay anyway and it jives you a little piece of mind when night driving in the country.

Just cause you have a Bull bar doesn’t mean you can’t end up with busted headlights, spot lights or a radiator if a limb makes it throe the grill.

I have 2 mounted on the Top centre bar of the Bull bar in line with the centre line of the car, and 2 mounted on the main bar structure ether side of the Spot light.

I think positioning is important you need to get them in the air stream so the sound can actually radiate out.

I worked with a guy in Kalgoorlie a few year ago and he would ride his Motorbike back to Perth at night at the end of the shift roster for his brake, he had about 6 of the things on his bike as well as Xenon lights. He would average 120-130km/h at night along the Grate Eastern Hwy and says when he spotted any on the side of the road they would just sit there as and he rode past

Cheers.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
tyxr8ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant
Why not just get a bullbar if they are THAT big of a problem?
I just figured that a bullbar on the front of an F6 Tornado wouldn't fit the whole sporty theme...
2007 F6 Tornado #0067 - Lightning Strike

Member: FPV & XR Owners Club Of Victoria
tyxr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #17
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think somebody tested them somewhere and concluded they were useless.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #18
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

driving down from darwin to alice a few weeks ago i hit a roo. i had the whistles on & they obviously worked. $3000 damage plus the $20 i spent on the whistles
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #19
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

From previous threads/tests, by the time the roo hears the sound they don't have enough time to get away. If you do hit one with them installed, does this prove they don't work?
Roo could be old, injured, arthritis, hard of hearing, birth defect or simply have a death wish.
The fact they can change direction so quickly is a worry, a 90 degree turn from the side of the road to the middle of your car in 1 hop.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #20
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I posted this a while ago.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=56482

Just shows how much damage can be avoided by a professioally mounted roo bar.

A bit graphic, keep the young uns away.
That's a Smartbar? I'm more inclinded to go for a SmartBar on the AU, but if I was going for an alloy one, I think I've be inclinded to install on a vehicle with full chassis ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #21
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

I live ina wombat, wallaby and roo infested area, and every morning and every night ( wee hours ) i see at least 10 roos and wallabies.

the big lugs will stay where they are if they are stationary, unless startled ( even a loud v8 doesnt seem enough to startle them, whereas a horn will ).

If they are already moving, then your in trouble.
Theese little devices dont work, tha amount of cars i see out here with roo hits and a broken sho-roo hanging off the front is funny.

Just get a good set of candles on te car and slow down when yo usee them and all should be fine.

I hate the damn noise the shu-roo makes. Drills into my head.. inaudabel to the human ear my ****!
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Shu roos do work.I am not a dealer of shoo roo but have swapped quite a few on cars and their owners swear by them.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I installed one about 3 cars ago and have stuck with them ever since - my decision was based on the experiences of the Vic Sherrif's Office who had installed them on their fleet and reduced their annual roos trikes by 92%. Convinving enough data for me.

Finding somewhere to mount it on the Cruiser has prove4n a bit hard so far but we will find a way.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post