Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #61
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
Wait till they get the cameras that are being set up here in WA that scans every cars number plate. for rego, unlicensed drivers, wanted persons etc.

How in hell does that work! does that mean every time your better half, or someone else, is driving you around cause you are under suspension a flying squad will be vectored to swoop down on the car?? that would get old pretty quick...
Well, it will obviously only work if you own a car and the camera recognizes the plates and then notifies police in the squad car which the camera is mounted on or the car down the road, then they will pick you up and ask to see your drivers license. If its not the unlicensed driver then all is good. if not your gone.
Im not sure if it will take your picture like a speed camera then send you a letter with the photo to confirm the driver like speeding fines.
These new cameras in wa can tell the cops everything about the driver and car - previous owners, rego, drivers details every thing without having to call up HQ. this is why we dont have Rego stickers anymore.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #62
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
Well, it will obviously only work if you own a car and the camera recognizes the plates and then notifies police in the squad car which the camera is mounted on or the car down the road, then they will pick you up and ask to see your drivers license. If its not the unlicensed driver then all is good. if not your gone.
So theoretically, driving a mates car (whom has lost his licence) from say Exmouth to Albany on a long weekend, could turn out to be a frustrating exercise..... :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #63
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The whole speed camera thing is government corruption in the extreme. If the road toll was slashed, the government couldn't justify the cameras. So they allow, perhaps even encourage, the road toll to remain relatively static. So the question is; is it being done knowingly, or out of pure ignorance? Either way its inexcusable.

The biggest myth the government create is the possibility of zero road toll, like if they continue down the same path, the roads will be some safe and magical place. Obviously thats impossible while we have 2 tonne steel boxes flying down roads at 100kph controlled by human beings.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #64
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Speed cameras are designed to prey on the people that are returning from a long trip, or someone who does not know the area very well, and the stupid (well the last one I can understand), They are a legal govt scam. But trying to vote out a polly over speed cameras is very hard. Re remember Pauline Hanson when she went up against speed cameras and the media shot her to bits, so what chance that the next bloke is going to remove them if they get in.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #65
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
The whole speed camera thing is government corruption in the extreme. If the road toll was slashed, the government couldn't justify the cameras.
Problem with that is if the road tolls were slashed .... the cameras would be deemed a success. If the road tolls go up ..... more cameras are required.

It's the perfect tax ......brilliantly done and easily accepted as doing the right thing. A good positioned camera can earn its installation and keep in the first month of operation .... from then on its profit.

Each camera in Vic has a budget and is included now in the general revenue ..... each then are 'expected' to earn so much per month. If a camera does not earn its keep, they are left as an empty box.

I do not have a problem with cameras as such, just where they are and the minimal margin ...... not catching those that cannot drive nor those who know where they are. Its the same here in Vic as it is in QLD.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #66
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So theoretically, driving a mates car (whom has lost his licence) from say Exmouth to Albany on a long weekend, could turn out to be a frustrating exercise.
I see what you mean. He (the owner and unlicensed driver) would either get a photo confirmation letter which he would pass onto you to confirm the photo of the driver is you and not him then all is good.
Or, yeh, they would pick you up for questioning...a few times - I see what you mean, could cause some troubles if your employed as a driver for a contractor who lost his license.
Same too if the previous owner of the car you just bought is a wanted man, you'd be asked back to the station for questioning. the frustrating posibilities are endless.
but anyway back on track with the QLD police revenue raising.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #67
Flaming Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Thanks, a very well thought out a reasoned answer to my question.

I guess at the heart of this, what i am trying to understand is does the QPU have the authority to speak on behalf of the QLD PD or is it enough that it is implied because the QPU is made up principally of QLD PD employees. It seems to be enough for people to draw the conclusion on here so i'm assuming Joe Public thinks the same.

From your description, its almost as if the QPU is the public loud speaker that the QLD PD cannot have. I'm just wary of jumping on board the band wagon that says 'the QPU thinks it's revenue raising so the QLD PD must think the same'. That seems a little presumptuous to me.

In essence, it is very interesting that a big organisation like QPU has made this statement, i'm just trying to work out how much weight this statement has. Not that it will necessarily change anything.
The union doesn’t represent the entire service, perhaps 95% of it, being officers in the ranks from recruits to Senior Sergeants. The Commissioned Officers (ranks of Inspector and above) have their own separate union who look after their interests.

In answer to your query, I wouldn’t think the statement would carry much weight with the government, as they can merely roll out their Commissioner to counter the claim. And even though he rarely carries the same views as his troops, he is the “official” voice of the QPS, and mostly popular with the public, who are generally unaware of how political his position really is.

In relation to the article, I honestly don’t think the union or police are against speed cameras. They would mostly agree that they have their place, particularly in high speed areas where it is dangerous for police to be leaping out onto a roadway. I think perhaps the union was bringing attention to the governments self serving obsession with this particular facet of policing, while largely ignoring increased funding requirements for other areas of policing and crime prevention.

I think it would be a relatively safe bet however, that the majority of frontline police wouldn’t swallow the tripe from the government that all these cameras are about saving lives. Saving lives is not the core business of the government. If it was, they would realise they could save a hundred lives next week, by merely addressing our health system.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 04:03 AM   #68
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

they say road safety?!?!?!?

crap!!

if anyone is on here that lives in my area would like to challenge me on this that is fine, i know they wont, they say the money is used for road safety, well how about fixing the already screwed up roads, and stop "fixing" or "upgrading" roads that dont need it, i live in werribee, for those that dont know its a major suburb between melbourne and geelong, there is a road in werribee called tarneit rd, this road was resurfaced not too long ago, the other day, while traveling at the speed limit mind you, going north bound on this rd, in the right hand lane, there is a MASSIVE undulation in the road that has cars almost leaving the road, its ridiculous, my drinks in the cup holder came out and one went into the driver footwell under my pedals, i know this wont mean much to those who dont live around here, but this crap about how all this money is being used for road safety is crap, how about we start by giving us roads that dont result in compression fractures of the spine and quite literally have my head hit the roof when we drive on them.

sorry, had to get that off my chest, i have severe back pain and driving in my local area is a joke, all the streets in hoppers crossing and werribee are absolute shiet, and its supposedly one of the fastest growing suburbs in australia...

well then.........FIX THE ROADS.
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #69
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8xr8

crap!!

if anyone is on here that lives in my area would like to challenge me on this that is fine, i know they wont, they say the money is used for road safety, well how about fixing the already screwed up roads, and stop "fixing" or "upgrading" roads that dont need it, i live in werribee, for those that dont know its a major suburb between melbourne and geelong, there is a road in werribee called tarneit rd, this road was resurfaced not too long ago, the other day, while traveling at the speed limit mind you, going north bound on this rd, in the right hand lane, there is a MASSIVE undulation in the road that has cars almost leaving the road, its ridiculous, my drinks in the cup holder came out and one went into the driver footwell under my pedals, i know this wont mean much to those who dont live around here, but this crap about how all this money is being used for road safety is crap, how about we start by giving us roads that dont result in compression fractures of the spine and quite literally have my head hit the roof when we drive on them.

sorry, had to get that off my chest, i have severe back pain and driving in my local area is a joke, all the streets in hoppers crossing and werribee are absolute shiet, and its supposedly one of the fastest growing suburbs in australia...

Your write that road is a shocker . Ive almost lost my load there a couple times i have to pull over to re-tighten everything. My loads are usually cornice and cant do the straps up super tight because it will break the stuff but it tight enough for every other road i drive on .
But they defently do spend the money on road safety how do you think they pay for the new camera's and the reseach in to making them more better revenue raisers.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #70
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
Your write that road is a shocker . Ive almost lost my load there a couple times i have to pull over to re-tighten everything. My loads are usually cornice and cant do the straps up super tight because it will break the stuff but it tight enough for every other road i drive on .
But they defently do spend the money on road safety how do you think they pay for the new camera's and the reseach in to making them more better revenue raisers.

hahahahhaaha true true!!!

its always about road safety with these cameras....... no doubt at all!!!
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #71
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
The biggest myth the government create is the possibility of zero road toll, like if they continue down the same path, the roads will be some safe and magical place. Obviously thats impossible while we have 2 tonne steel boxes flying down roads at 100kph controlled by human beings.
Also, drivers who have heart attacks and ped's walking infront of cars are also counted on the road told. As are those run off the road asleep, drunk, high, not paying attention, driving dangerously, etc.

Road toll will never be zero.
Safety cameras will not decrease road toll.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #72
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
teach people how to drive properly
To what standard?

Its a requirement currently that a person can control a vehicle to a certain standard (driving properly) to obtain a drivers licence. If you raise that standard, yes some people will never obtain a licence because they won't be capable of reaching that standard, however many still will & you will still see the same thing happening on the roads as people become lax about their driving, drive under the influence, changing lanes without indicating, cutting people off - the list could be endless.

None of us are perfect drivers, I make my share of mistakes when driving as I'm sure if we're all honest we all do from time to time.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #73
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8xr8

crap!!

The roads in inner melb are stuffed, the bigger problem is when they do 'fix it' they're still rubbish.

Mind you in my area all these round-a-bouts are popping up (in pointless spots) yet the roads are deteriorating.