Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Geelong casting plant sold off?

Can anyone confirm a rumour that Ford have sold off the casting plant in geelong?

mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cannot confirm, but do think it is under serious consideration ATM by some mob.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Not sold........YET.....
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Here in the States Ford is getting completely out of the casting business. As far as I know the Cleveland Casting Plant (where my wife works) Is the only casting facility they have left in North America. Originally it was supposed to close down at the end of this year but they couldn't find anyone (foundry) to cast blocks for only one year (2010 MY) so the plant is still running. Now there's rumours that they will be around to 2013 because of a lack of being able to get a foundry to cast engine parts for a couple years......but I don't have all the info on that and it is not substantiated yet.

So, the home of the 351 Cleveland lives on!!!!!!!

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
XR8putts

What will it mean for the future of the I6, if the plant is indeed sold?
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
What will it mean for the future of the I6, if the plant is indeed sold?
The supplier of the castings won't be owned by Ford...........
Old 21-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Here in the States Ford is getting completely out of the casting business. As far as I know the Cleveland Casting Plant (where my wife works) Is the only casting facility they have left in North America. Originally it was supposed to close down at the end of this year but they couldn't find anyone (foundry) to cast blocks for only one year (2010 MY) so the plant is still running. Now there's rumours that they will be around to 2013 because of a lack of being able to get a foundry to cast engine parts for a couple years......but I don't have all the info on that and it is not substantiated yet.

So, the home of the 351 Cleveland lives on!!!!!!!

Steve
Get your missus to scratch around for some old moulds and then fill them full of alloy.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Is the casting plant the building that is totally abandoned at the moment? i.e. the one closed to the old pilkington glass factory? If that's the one you're talking about then rumour has it that Frank Costa bought it yonks ago and failed to have his proposal approved by Council, hence why it's on the market again...
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp
Is the casting plant the building that is totally abandoned at the moment? i.e. the one closed to the old pilkington glass factory? If that's the one you're talking about then rumour has it that Frank Costa bought it yonks ago and failed to have his proposal approved by Council, hence why it's on the market again...
No.

That's the old I4 and Chassis Components plant.
Old 21-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

ah - thanks Barra.
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
Get your missus to scratch around for some old moulds and then fill them full of alloy.
man that would be nice

id buy one just to sit on a stand in the loungeroom
rusty 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
robertjp

least you would be able to move the block around, how about magnesium instead...
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH

You've got them there already. The Clevo that came in my XA/XB clone has CF cast into it for Cleveland Foundry, but it has an Aussie identification number on it so it was cast there.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

When the I6 was to be discontinued in 2010 the casting plant would have been sold, they had people such as interforge looking to buy it, but they were see sawing about wether they wanted it or not. I wouldn't be suprised if it was sold off, Ford have been doing lots of out sourcing lately and this will be done too if they can save money out of it.

I wonder if the company interested in buying it thinks the I6 will last for very long or not, I reckon the V6 is just inevitable. Or if the I6 ever goes alloy blocked then the casting plant is pretty much only good for cranks and rods.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taken from today's Geelong Advertiser............

Ford wants to sell foundry

Jeff Whalley

February 24th, 2009
Share this article

* Digg this
* Post to del.icio.us
* Post to Stumble Upon
* Post to Facebook

FORD is looking to sell its Geelong engine-casting operations.

The company yesterday confirmed it is in negotiations with an organisation interested in taking over the foundry, which employs 200 people.

Ford Australia public affairs manager Sinead McAlary yesterday said she could not name the company that Ford was negotiating with.

"We have confirmed for our employees and our unions that we are investigating options for our casting operations in Geelong," Ms McAlary said.

"As part of that process, we are in discussions with a company that has indicated a potential interest in taking on that business and growing it further," she said.

But sources close to the issue yesterday said there were a range of concerns foundry workers had regarding the possible sale.

Among those was the possibility employees who change to a new company would have to re-negotiate entitlements due to a twilight clause in contracts.

It is also understood unions yesterday met with Ford to press a broad claim for foundry workers asking for the same closure money they would have received had the plant closed down last year.

"If they start at a new company, they should be able to start afresh after receiving all the benefits that are due to them from Ford," one source said.

Sources also expressed a concern that the Geelong Investment and Innovation Fund - set up to encourage new industries in the wake of Ford cutbacks in 2007 - would be handing cash to a company looking to instead buy parts of Ford.

Both the State and Federal Governments and Ford contribute to the $24 million fund, which was intended to act as a bait to lure job-heavy industries to Geelong.

"This was meant to encourage investment, not help break up Ford," one source said.

Ms McAlary could not confirm whether the unnamed company was applying for cash to help buy the foundry.

"As we're still in the discussion phase, it's not appropriate for me to comment further about the company or any of their finance arrangements," she said.

But one source said the Government had a responsibility to stand by the workers.

"Ford have been given a fair bit of money from the federal and state governments since operations opened. It is interesting to see them get money and outsource - that seems like double dipping."
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting stance by Ford here, they seem to be selling off all their unprofitable operations to outsourcing groups. This way, if The ABC Foundry company purchase the casting operations, they will spend money to update the plant and they will be allowed to chase contract work from other manufacturers thus making them a sustainable business case, something the casting plant isn't at the moment.

Employees finish working for Ford on Friday, receive a large sum payout from Ford, and then start work for the ABC Foundry company on Monday with hopefully a similar EBA agreement in place. It would be a very good outcome for them.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds good to me, they could tool up for other engines that ford wouldnt have done. Like 4 cyl for the focus.

I remember there was a mob talking about using the inline 6 for portable power generation. Apperently its very easy to shift them to a very simple diesel power that cant be used on the road.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
sounds good to me, they could tool up for other engines that ford wouldnt have done. Like 4 cyl for the focus.

I remember there was a mob talking about using the inline 6 for portable power generation. Apperently its very easy to shift them to a very simple diesel power that cant be used on the road.
The US airports were interested in using the straight 6 for their tow vehicles/ground equipment/generators etc, to replace the old yank V6 that is soon going out of production, but I don't think anything came of it. The new V6 was too expensive for them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post