Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #31
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Number 1 Selling Car in the World Isn't Available in Australia.

Not sure about the F-150, but the rest of the platform is good, especially if you want to tow. And they look comfy and spacious so be great on long trips.

15,500 kilograms gross?

CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #32
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
My post was referring to the size issue of the F150 not the class of vehicle really.

And true, no one really needs a Mustang or any other sports car (for road use), but at least the Mustang is about the same size as other cars in its class and Falcons.
So exterior size is the only way to stroke an ego with a vehicle?

As mentioned, the Mustang is a good example. Why buy a Mustang? And surely you opted for the big 5.0 and not the 4 cylinder right? Even though the 4 has more than ample power for every legal situation on any Australian road.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #33
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
So exterior size is the only way to stroke an ego with a vehicle?

As mentioned, the Mustang is a good example. Why buy a Mustang? And surely you opted for the big 5.0 and not the 4 cylinder right? Even though the 4 has more than ample power for every legal situation on any Australian road.
Wrong, I bought the hairdresser model... It's the 4 banger.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've driven an F150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost and it was one of the most impressive vehicles i've ever driven. Got up and moved like a block of flats has no right to, and sounded good while doing it. And it had everything. Electric running boards that drop down when you open the door, surround camera etc.

And the centre console is more than a foot wide. And there is as much room in the back as there is in the front. And it drove unbelieveably nicely. I was staggered something so big would drive as nice as it did. But when you think about it it has had decades of continuous development and more dollars spent on development than any vehicle in Ford's range.

Would I love one, hell yes. But do I think it would ever sell in reasonable numbers here, no I don't. It wouldn't fit in 95% of garages and forget parking it in a shopping center carpark unless it's right down the back where you can take up as many spaces as you want. It's just not practicle for the city. Would be well suited to the country though. And it would be pretty expensive once landed.

The biggest problem is Ford are not going to further complicate their truck plants to build them in RHD when they are absolutely flat out running 3 shifts to feed the massive numbers they sell in North America. Not to boost sales by 1%. Not worth the hassle for them. The numbers don't stack up.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #35
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I've driven an F150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost and it was one of the most impressive vehicles i've ever driven. Got up and moved like a block of flats has no right to, and sounded good while doing it.
That 3.5 V6 twin turbo Ecoboost is one hell of an engine.

There is a reason why Ford did not put it in the Mustang, as it would shame the 5.0 Litre Coyote and severely limit sales of the GT.
So instead went with the 2.3L Ecoboost.

Here's a video clip of a drag race over 4 rounds with the 3.5 Ecoboost in the F150 versus the 5.0L V8 Coyote... Ecoboost wins!

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #36
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Considering the RHD converted Ram 1500 utes are between $80-100000, you would think a factory RHD F150 would be cheaper. I think they would sell in similar numbers to the prehistoric Landcruiser dual cab utes. RAM are aiming for 10% of the >$57000 ute market.

People spend $65000 for Wildtraks without batting an eyelid then spend another $10-20000 modifying them. I don't think $80000 would be a great issue for an F150.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Probably moreso useless as a 5th wheel hitch setup for towing something larger ... like a decent sized horsefloat/etc. The towing capacity is much larger as well.
Then cabin size is much roomier as well compared to the dualcab brigade as well.
Agree, and country is not the city, I see lots of older converted diesel F series pick ups around my way towing gooseneck horse floats, very large 5th wheel caravans and hay bale flatbed haulers.

There must surely be a market for real Ford pick ups as GM have been pushing Chevy Silverado ad on TV lately too.
https://www.hsv.com.au/see/silverado/

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #38
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a market here, plently of conversion companies are making a living off the F150 and F250, lots have no stock and the current vehicles undergoing conversions are all sold, you dont see many sitting around in sales lots.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #39
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
That 3.5 V6 twin turbo Ecoboost is one hell of an engine.

There is a reason why Ford did not put it in the Mustang, as it would shame the 5.0 Litre Coyote and severely limit sales of the GT.
So instead went with the 2.3L Ecoboost.

Here's a video clip of a drag race over 4 rounds with the 3.5 Ecoboost in the F150 versus the 5.0L V8 Coyote... Ecoboost wins!

I really don't think you get the Mustang soul tbh.
Its not about xyz would beat the V8, Ford know very well the last 50yrs of purchase's are what the soul is about - V8 !.
Majority buyers in the USA speak with their love/soul and wallets buying V8's.
Thats the heart and soul of Mustang and what the Pony rides on farfarfar more than the other motor variant/s offered to date - capish.
They could easily tweek the stock GT 5.0l to more than go head to head with most anything don't forget as well but this is offered on the special builds or you go Shelby if budget isn't the concern.
Just wanting to correct your take on the subject.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I guess we’ll see customer interest in Ram 1500
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #41
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Changing topics a little:

Many years the Focus made the biggest selling passenger car, beating the Corolla because of the different naming in some countries.
Seems to have dropped a reasonable amount against the corolla now.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post