Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry The Number 1 Selling Car in the World Isn't Available in Australia.

"THERE is one big truck to rule them all.
In Australia the new car market is dominated by the Toyota HiLux, but globally the super-sized Ford F-Series pick-up truck is the number one selling vehicle.
The giant utility is the big brother to the Ford Ranger, but most Aussie would have never heard of, let alone seen, the American pick-up as it does not roam the streets down under.
But despite the F-Series persona non grata status in Australia it is the most popular new car in the world selling more than half a million examples so far this year according to data compiled by automotive market analysts Jato.
The staggering volume that Ford sells its big truck is almost equal to the total amount of vehicles sold in Australia during the first half of this year.
Australia's favourite vehicle the HiLuxes was only the 39th best selling vehicle while the Ford Ranger failed to crack the top 50 list.
Ford has no plans to bring the big truck to Australia any time soon. However, the interest for American-style pick-ups is there, both Ram and Chevrolet now sell its F-Series rivals down under via local right-hand drive converters.

Local favourite: Toyota is set to launch its next-generation Corolla in Australia
Second place is held by the Toyota Corolla with global sales of more than 478,000. The Japanese small car is a familiar face to Australian buyers and is the current best selling passenger vehicle in the country.
However, the Mazda3 and Hyundai i30 - Australia's other favourite small cars - are nowhere to be seen.

European favourite: The VW Golf has a far bigger following overseas.
The world's next most popular vehicle is the Volkswagen Golf (357,000), which has remained dominant - especially in Europe - despite the brand's widely publicised diesel emissions scandals.
Toyota's Rav4 was the best selling SUV, the Japanese high-rider knocked off the Nissan X-Trail as the world's most popular SUV.

Family hauler: The Toyota RAV4 is the world’s most popular SUV.
In Australia the Rav4 and X-Trail are both out sold by the Mazda CX-5.
Mazda, while popular in Australia, is a small player in the global automotive market. Only two models the CX-5 (21) and 3 (38) were among the 50 best selling vehicles in the world.
Honda has had a stellar year with three vehicles in the top 10 list: The Honda Civic (413,000) was fourth, Honda CR-V (339,000) was eighth and the Honda HR-V (335,000) was the ninth best selling model.
The Renault-Nissan alliance was the biggest selling automotive group in the world, accounting for 12 per cent of vehicle sales. Sales for both brand's are declining in Australia.
The alliance's out sold Toyota, GM and the Volkswagen Group. " https://www.themorningbulletin.com.a...ealed/3494590/

Last edited by csv8; 12-08-2019 at 11:26 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: The Number 1 Selling Car in the World Isn't Available in Australia.

Well at least we get the World's Number 1 selling sports car in Australia.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
...but most Aussie would have never heard of, let alone seen, the American pick-up...
What a load of crap. I think most Aussie's know exactly what a F150 is. Who wrote this trash.

Quote:
The Renault-Nissan alliance was the biggest selling automotive group in the world...
The alliance's out sold Toyota, GM and the Volkswagen Group.
That's a surprise. I expected VAG or Toyota to still be the biggest sellers.
5 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

95% of them are sold in the US. where everything is upsized cars, roads, carparks, burgers & waistlines.. But the cost of fuel is smaller.

They would never take off here, let alone Europe or Asia
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I love F trucks and the new models are better than the previous models. but then the practicalities of ownership poo poo the vehicle.

The size of them precludes car parking in many local shopping centres, we have lots of narrow streets, off-road bush tracks would mean bush pin stipes and the average home garage would struggle to fit one.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the F150 Raptor was sold here I'm sure they would sell incredibly well. There's a lot of Rangers and dual cab utes with a lot of mods and lift kits trying to get that Raptor look. After spending a couple of months in the USA over the last 12 months, the Raptors definitely have a super car presence - they turn heads that's for sure.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
LUV DE COUPE

I don't consider F trucks to be up upsize. Our local vehicles are small twin cab Utes, it is a squeeze to fit adults into the back seat .
LUV DE COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
95% of them are sold in the US. where everything is upsized cars, roads, carparks, burgers & waistlines.. But the cost of fuel is smaller.

They would never take off here, let alone Europe or Asia
I was there two weeks ago and fuel was US .99c so AUD $1.30. Not much less than it is here currently
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I was there two weeks ago and fuel was US .99c so AUD $1.30. Not much less than it is here currently
I didn’t believe this and had to google it! I assumed you were quoting a gallon price, but no, that’s a litre! Well... actually 99c or $0.99 not quite .99c haha
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I didn’t believe this and had to google it! I assumed you were quoting a gallon price, but no, that’s a litre! Well... actually 99c or $0.99 not quite .99c haha

99 cents a litre
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm higher than I remember but the average is 0.84 USD

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/U...soline_prices/
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A poor article by "The Motoring Bulletin" and not quoting the original source as it was collated by JATO Dynamics. It should also be noted that markets NOT included were Middle East, the Philippines, Central America, and large parts of Africa. So it in no way represents the real global sales volumes.
From the company's site:
http://www.jato.com/the-global-vehic...es-in-h1-2018/

Last edited by Dr Smith; 16-08-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

We used to have the F-150 here a few years back...im sure if it was viable, we'd still get it here.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #14
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Same here - that seemed to be the price in California and bigger cities. In Florida, Arizona, Texas I saw it as low as US $2.60 gallon or AUD 90c/L.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #15
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Lets say the decision makers at Ford in Detroit crunch the numbers and decide RHD F-Series production is a viable proposition.

How much would people expect to pay for a Australian delivered F150. With all the import costs, tariffs and local taxes included.

The market position of the current generation Ranger ($28k - $75k) means that the F150 price position would mean a starting price for a steel wheeled base model north of 60k at least.

Is that something people would pay?
(Genuine question)
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Lets say the decision makers at Ford in Detroit crunch the numbers and decide RHD F-Series production is a viable proposition.

How much would people expect to pay for a Australian delivered F150. With all the import costs, tariffs and local taxes included.

The market position of the current generation Ranger ($28k - $75k) means that the F150 price position would mean a starting price for a steel wheeled base model north of 60k at least.

Is that something people would pay?
(Genuine question)
In the USA, an F150 XLT crew cab 4x4 is roughly 10% dearer than a Mustang GT premium
which is basically our version in LHD.

So if I was to guess, I'd expect a factory RHD F150 XLT crew cab 4x4 to be around $70K to $75K
Similarly, I'd expect to pay $16K to $20K more for a comparable factory RHD F250 with 6.7 V8 diesel.

but people who buy those sorts of trucks don't want XLT trim, they want Lariat or higher
so maybe add another $20K on top of that.

Last edited by jpd80; 16-08-2018 at 08:16 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #17
flightstrike

Good luck parking one at the local shopping centre.... it’s fun enough watching somone try and park an i30...

2010 FG XR6 Ute

Last edited by flightstrike; 16-08-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #18
stock1991
Limited supply

no doubt the americans have plus size car spaces
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't get how people say our roads are too narrow for f150's. They are not much wider than many fullsize 4x4s.
Sure they are long and would make inner city car parks more challenging, but if you own one, live with your choice.
Learn to drive it or park in an appropriate location.

https://www.ultimatestretches.com/
There are companies dedicated to making out current pickups longer.
But the roads and the cars parks! Did no one tell them this is Australia we have no room for these behemoths

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
no doubt the americans have plus size car spaces
Not really. In the big cities the average space in a carpark is as wide as ours.
On road parking may be a little longer, but I didn't park on road often.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #20
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see f150's all the time people are using them as work trucks and the grey nomads love them. I also see a few new raptors getting around . All these people pay well over $100,000 for these converted trucks so if they were under 100k i think ford would be surprised at how big the market would be(i live 220k out of adelaide)
Old 17-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #21
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
I see f150's all the time people are using them as work trucks and the grey nomads love them. I also see a few new raptors getting around . All these people pay well over $100,000 for these converted trucks so if they were under 100k i think ford would be surprised at how big the market would be(i live 220k out of adelaide)
Yep, I see quite a few newer F trucks in and around Sydney as well. If Ford were to bring them in, they would sell and quite well tbh.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

They’re no wider than the latest landcruiser station wagon
Old 17-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightstrike View Post
Good luck parking one at the local shopping centre.... it’s fun enough watching somone try and park an i30...
The older F-trucks were interesting with no camera aids. But the new F350 I had for a weekend (back in 2004) pulled like a train ... that 7.3L TD was addictive.

But you will find these new ones will have all the parking/lane assist aids you need to navigate traffic / park without hitting anything.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peter Fleet from FordcAsia Pacific was in Dearborn earlier this year
looking at possibility of 3,0 diesel F150 for our region
I never heard the result of those discussions
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #25
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
They’re no wider than the latest landcruiser station wagon
Yes, but it's much longer, taller & heavier, with a larger turning circle & less vision.

Driving on a freeway would be fine, but for inner city traffic & suburban carparks, forget it.

Dt Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #26
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Yes, but it's much longer, taller & heavier, with a larger turning circle & less vision.

Driving on a freeway would be fine, but for inner city traffic & suburban carparks, forget it.

Dt Terry
The RAM 1500 Laramie has a smaller turning circle than a current Ranger. Just saying. I'm not sure about an F150.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #27
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The question I've always wondered about big rigs like the F150?

Who really needs them?

Tradies seem to get by okay with Rangers and Hi-Luxes and no one seems to have a problem towing large boats and vans with smaller utes and vehicles.
If you need to haul large items, a large tray vechicle is better anyway.

Or is it simply a male ego thing... "Look at me, I've got the biggest, meanest pick up on the road" syndrome.
Old 17-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #28
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

You could use that argument for many vehicle classes. Who really needs a Mustang for example?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #29
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
You could use that argument for many vehicle classes. Who really needs a Mustang for example?
My post was referring to the size issue of the F150 not the class of vehicle really.

And true, no one really needs a Mustang or any other sports car (for road use), but at least the Mustang is about the same size as other cars in its class and Falcons.
Old 17-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #30
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Probably moreso useless as a 5th wheel hitch setup for towing something larger ... like a decent sized horsefloat/etc. The towing capacity is much larger as well.

Then cabin size is much roomier as well compared to the dualcab brigade as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post