Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #811
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Re: Crypto $$$

Have the bears finally gone into hibernation?
Old 14-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #812
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Still waiting for my lambo mate....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #813
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Have the bears finally gone into hibernation?
My wallet is starting to look healthy again.

Threw in a couple of grand and bought more bitcoin when it was $5600.

Let’s hope it continues on the upward trend...
Old 14-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #814
hellrc5

This looks parabolic again, I would be surprised if we hit 10k usd without a major pullback

Sent from my Note7 FE - Flames Extinguished edition
hellrc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2019, 03:39 AM   #815
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice to see BTC over 10k aud again, on the other hand I wish the price was still down so I keep accumulating at low prices hahaha
Old 25-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #816
sr71

I saw a Ranger Raptor on the weekend, with number plate CRYP7O. Moto in the tray as well. Only young bloke too. Nice work, eh.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #817
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Elon poured $1.9B into Bitcoin today and it has surged to $56K...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/mone...428784d00b94cf
Old 22-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #818
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ripple is going nuts for some reason.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #819
CJR09
RPO 77

It's all about the SEC case

If it pushes through 0.6 in the next couple of days it might just keep going

Market trends on some are now stupidly being dictated by social media - bound to Happen sooner or later i guess

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #820
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I forgot to check if Elon has tweeted about XRP
Old 23-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #821
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Bitcoin is something I can't comprehend. I tried to look into what it is and work it out but the more I research the more confused I get.

It seems it's simply an online currency? One can acquire it by outright purchase or by your (ultra high powered) computer solving seemingly difficult mathematical computations??

Or by verifying other transactions to not allow double dipping?? I still can't understand it.. but for the moment it's a money making machine?

So what are you actually buying? If it were to all vanish tomorrow what have you to show for it?

It's at near $75k AUD now per coin after costing next to nothing when starting out not that many years ago.

Elon Musk tipped a lot of dosh recently into it, then lost 10x his investment by simply stating that prices seem inflated??

Quote:
Elon Musk Loses $15 Billion in a Day After Bitcoin Warning
Devon Pendleton

(Bloomberg) -- Elon Musk is no longer the world’s richest person after Tesla Inc. shares slid 8.6% on Monday, wiping $15.2 billion from his net worth.

Tesla’s decline was fueled in part by Musk’s comments over the weekend that the prices of Bitcoin and smaller rival Ether “do seem high.” His message -- via his favored medium of Twitter -- came two weeks after Tesla announced it has added $1.5 billion in Bitcoin to its balance sheet.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...?ocid=msedgdhp

When big time players invest in this stuff it legitimises the investment medium but I can't fathom investing money on something that only seems to exist in the virtual world.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #822
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I can't fathom investing money on something that only seems to exist in the virtual world.
then don't. everyones risk profile is up to them to decide.

it's equally as vacuous as the stock market or the forex markets - people are trading on predicted value changes. it's all funny money, until you cash out.

you buy shares in company XYZ because you believe (for whatever reason) that tomorrow they'll be worth more, not less). you buy USD because you believe it'll be worth more against the AUD - either AUD goes down, or USD goes up).

in the unlikely event bitcoin disappears tomorrow you'll be left with the same as if in the unlikely event the ASX disappears tomorrow - nothing.

only investments in physical materials (be it gold, oil, wheat, wool etc.) do you actually own 'something'. and then only if you take delivery of said something. trading with paper values of commodities is just as risky as shares/forex/crypto.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #823
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best description of Bitcoin I have seen is that Bitcoin is the Internet of Money.
Just that description does my head in even further.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #824
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beta male's currency.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2021, 03:14 AM   #825
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yesterday $75k.

Today $62K.

Wonder what would happen if Mr Musk commented that Bitcoin was now undervalued?

Old 24-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #826
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is Bitcoin simply the tulip of the 21st century? It's purely speculative at this stage, far too volatile too have any utility as a currency, so really all anyone is doing is betting on a piece of code.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #827
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Wonder what would happen if Mr Musk commented that Bitcoin was now undervalued?
Moons and lambos?

Havent listed to this in a couple of years, time to revist for a laugh....

2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2021, 01:19 AM   #828
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
then don't. everyones risk profile is up to them to decide.

it's equally as vacuous as the stock market or the forex markets - people are trading on predicted value changes. it's all funny money, until you cash out.

you buy shares in company XYZ because you believe (for whatever reason) that tomorrow they'll be worth more, not less). you buy USD because you believe it'll be worth more against the AUD - either AUD goes down, or USD goes up).

in the unlikely event bitcoin disappears tomorrow you'll be left with the same as if in the unlikely event the ASX disappears tomorrow - nothing.

only investments in physical materials (be it gold, oil, wheat, wool etc.) do you actually own 'something'. and then only if you take delivery of said something. trading with paper values of commodities is just as risky as shares/forex/crypto.
I'm not big on shares but from the limited exposure I have had there seems to be regulation, reporting, accountability and guidelines all listed companies must abide by.

What governing body moderates bitcoin? How are they audited? Where can I get my hands on a PDS?

Is a share not a portion of the actual company entity? So, a share is a tangible asset directly linked to the company it belongs to.

Saying crypto currency is equally as risky as other more mainstream investment vehicles is drawing a very long bow.

Old 26-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #829
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

there's no central governing body - that's the point.
everyone involved governs it. there's LESS chance for corruption, as at least 50% of everyone involved is required to agree for a change to take place. if not you get a dud fork (think BCH or BTG to BTC. or ETC to ETH).

it's a public ledger - every transaction is permanently part of the history, there's total accountability and all the reporting you could ever want/need.

as for the exchanges, they're regulated (in Australia and other first world countries) like stock exchanges are. but make no mistake they're NOT bitcoin, they're just the forex service that'll change your $ to bitcoin or back, and allow you to trade against other cryptos/currencies.

as for a share being part of a real company, sure it is, on paper. Try and go to said company and exchange your share for some cash, or a stapler, etc. you won't get far. it only has value on the stock exchange, and only if someone else wants to buy it from you.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #830
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I saw that XRP / Ripple moved from 80 odd cents up to 90 on Monday night. I thought screw it sell it all as I had been holding it for like three years or something. I set it to sell everything if it hit $1. Mind you it has only hit $1 very briefly three times in the last three years. Got up Tuesday and checked it. All sold for $1 and the price was now at $1.20. DOH! Just checked it now and it is spiking up to $1.90. Kill me....

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #831
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAL View Post
I saw that XRP / Ripple moved from 80 odd cents up to 90 on Monday night. I thought screw it sell it all as I had been holding it for like three years or something. I set it to sell everything if it hit $1. Mind you it has only hit $1 very briefly three times in the last three years. Got up Tuesday and checked it. All sold for $1 and the price was now at $1.20. DOH! Just checked it now and it is spiking up to $1.90. Kill me....
My condolences.

Ive been messing with xrp and fell asleep on the 4th and had a sell in that I wanted to pull, forgot... it sold at 0.78 aud while I slept.

oh well I missed out on all of that, kept being afraid to dive back in once it ran, then it ran, and ran.. and ran.

Ive been swearing at the screen on and off for the past week, things like 'oh come on, stop, ffs' etc etc.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #832
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 11-04-2021, 10:50 AM   #833
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I was playing with the crap coins, like the ones that are under 0.01c, most of them have gone really well to my surprise and I have pulled way more out than I put in, I am only playing around with $100 so it was no great loss if I lost it.

I bought some Metal for $60 watched it slowly get to $200 thinking it would crash soon, went to sleep one night, woke up and it was sitting at $780, so I pulled it out, my $100 investment is currently sitting at $1800 with $700 of the $780 I pulled just sitting in the account, not a millionaire yet, but baby steps eh
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #834
CJR09
RPO 77

Hodl hodl hodl

I pulled all of my tp’s and sl’s - predictions range from 10 to 150 over the next 12/24 mths, I think we’ll see 3’s soon enough where it’ll test ath’s - if it pushes through it’ll rocket

I’ve written off my throw down on it so happy to see where it ends up ������

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #835
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

coinbase is listing on the US market on the 14th by the way, some analysts say they are overestimating earnings because of future increased competition.. others saying its valuation will climb by billions... who knows where it will go really, but i expect it to be a busy ticker this upcoming week.

Ripple should be $2.50 aud by the end of today*

*not financial advice, but rather sarcasm, though it probably will be $2.50 just to laugh at me some more.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #836
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a several years now my wife and I have had a subtle word to our son to get into the property market instead of renting.
Our son, who is almost 30 and renting with his GF confided to us that for about 2 years now he has been dropping a couple of hundred into Crypto when he has some spare cash.
His value is now about 80k.
So no need to worry Mum and Dad, I'm onto it.

For me, it does my head in and I have no clue what you guys are all talking about.
I know what Bitcoin is, but just can't see how it's valued, it's not something you can hold like gold, shares, brick n mortar.
Time to educate myself a bit more.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #837
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
So you don't want to know that it's at $1.90 now then?
Old 11-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #838
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Ever wonder if Crypto currency was created for us to get used to a cashless system?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #839
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

PHATAL would have bought in at the high 40 / low 50 US cent mark, 100% in three years isn’t bad. The only tangible I can think of that’s matching is some Launceston real estate.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #840
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
PHATAL would have bought in at the high 40 / low 50 US cent mark, 100% in three years isn’t bad. The only tangible I can think of that’s matching is some Launceston real estate.
But this way you don't have to wear long underwear all year !