Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 30-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default AFF Server Updates

Good morning

There may be some interruptions to AFF during the day today as we perform some preparatory work ahead of a php upgrade in the early hours of Friday morning.

These interruptions will be short in duration (less than 10 minutes) but the php upgrade will result in a 30 minute outage from about 0100 Friday morning.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 31-01-2014 at 12:00 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: AFF Server Updates

The first stage is an update to about 30 core modules and I have started this now. It will probably slow the server a little over the next couple of hours but it shouldn't actually cause any loss of service as these are designed to be replaced in situ.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 31-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The test PHP upgrade broke the test server so I am identifying what needs to be done to fix that before doing it on the live server.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The php and other system upgrades have been completed successfully after a short (10 minute) outage window.

Best regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Is this now why the forum is so slow?
It used to be good but now anything I do on it takes a week to either load up or post.
I have no issues with any other sites so its not my connection.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

No issues here.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Is this now why the forum is so slow?
It used to be good but now anything I do on it takes a week to either load up or post.
I have no issues with any other sites so its not my connection.
Speed tests indicate that we have improved page load times so perhaps you are pulling older pages (pre-upgrade) or page elements from your browser cache.

We still have some optimisation to complete (some gzipping and jpeg compression) and that work is continuing.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 20-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Speed tests indicate that we have improved page load times so perhaps you are pulling older pages (pre-upgrade) or page elements from your browser cache.

We still have some optimisation to complete (some gzipping and jpeg compression) and that work is continuing.

Cheers
Russ
Is any of the stuff you're still doing having an effect on hitting the 'New Posts' button?

It won't update, though interestingly it doesn't even update if I hit refresh.
I have to clear the cache each time I want it updated.

Started this afternoon sometime.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quite possibly - we changed the caching method today from memcache back to the APC op-code cache which serves frequently used page elements out of a dedicated cache.

It will probably take a little while for browsers to catch up as they may have to wait for some objects to expire before refreshing them.

Clearing the browser cache should help in the short term until the week has passed that most objects are set to expire in.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 20-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

For those who are interested - this covers the 7 hours the cache has been in in use:

File Cache Information

Cached Files 514 (65.4 MBytes)
Hits 7,296,819
Misses 571
Request Rate (hits, misses) 276.86 cache requests/second
Hit Rate 276.84 cache requests/second
Miss Rate 0.02 cache requests/second
Insert Rate 0.02 cache requests/second
Cache full count0

User Cache Information

Cached Variables 34 (1.0 MBytes)
Hits 7,580,098
Misses 2,436
Request Rate (hits, misses) 287.67 cache requests/second
Hit Rate 287.58 cache requests/second
Miss Rate 0.09 cache requests/second
Insert Rate 0.25 cache requests/second
Cache full count 0

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 21-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Quite possibly - we changed the caching method today from memcache back to the APC op-code cache which serves frequently used page elements out of a dedicated cache.

It will probably take a little while for browsers to catch up as they may have to wait for some objects to expire before refreshing them.

Clearing the browser cache should help in the short term until the week has passed that most objects are set to expire in.

Cheers
Russ
Not sure if the problem I am experiencing is caused by your upgrade Russ but I have noticed that some pages are caching in my browser now, so I am not seeing new posts.
Old 21-03-2014, 04:13 AM   #12
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Possibly caused by another change I made rather than the cache change - I've reversed that one so we can see what happens over the next 12 hours or so. I noticed that notifications hadn't updated without a forced page reload.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 21-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Possibly caused by another change I made rather than the cache change - I've reversed that one so we can see what happens over the next 12 hours or so. I noticed that notifications hadn't updated without a forced page reload.

Cheers
Russ
Thanks Russ, that fixed my caching issue.
Old 21-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Things already seem to be working as normal this morning.
Old 21-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I still cant get "new posts" or even posts from todays posts under the quick links, the most recent post on my laptop shows up as approx. 10.30 pm yesterday

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
I still cant get "new posts" or even posts from todays posts under the quick links, the most recent post on my laptop shows up as approx. 10.30 pm yesterday
It looks like some pages were being cached on your PC and that behaviour should have changed now. You'll need to clear your cache as well.
Old 21-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

cleared my cache and history, restarted my lap top and still no change, I'm using windows 8 but would not think that should make a difference??

Old 21-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #18
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, repeated it a second time and looks like it's fine now, thanks for the help

Old 21-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I was having difficulty editing a post yesterday arvo.

I had edited it once and submitted it, then realised I'd left out some detail, so edited again (2nd edit) and submitted. When the post showed up the previous edit was gone and the new edit showed, so I edited again (3rd time) and added in with the original edit info, submitted it and behold my 2nd edit was gone and the new edit showed. I got the ****s and just added the info in another post.

All good today, everything is working perfectly.

As for flushing the cache - can anyone give me a pointer on Win7 without losing all my cookies? I must be doing it wrong - I'll kill the first person that says "go apple" lol!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Probably the easiest way is to hit F5 and that will force a reload of the page you are on. Just do this for each page that isn't refreshing properly

Or buy a Mac....
Old 21-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #21
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Probably the easiest way is to hit F5 and that will force a reload of the page you are on. Just do this for each page that isn't refreshing properly

Or buy a Mac....
Thanks for that Chris.

I know where you live - lol!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post