Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #31
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: AFF pages slow to load

I'd suggest an issue at your end - we've been monitoring the server loads and performance since before the upgrade to see what impact it had and it has substantially improved the average response time compared to a week ago (from 1300 to 600 ms) as well as resolving the query cache low memory prunes issue.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #32
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Just a note - it will be slowish for the next 30 minutes while I rebuild the master indeces.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the work you are doing russ

just a quick one around 7 this morning the site was down ( not sure if it was just my end )
or was it just down

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #34
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL] View Post
thanks for the work you are doing russ

just a quick one around 7 this morning the site was down ( not sure if it was just my end )
or was it just down

Jason
Me to, i couldn't get on at all so you’re not alone.....

+1 on the work Russ is doing.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #35
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

No it was down twice this morning for a few minutes the first time and about 20 minutes the second. Not sure why but I'm reviewing the logs currently to get to the bottom before it happens again!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #36
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

AFF has been painfully slow for me tonight. It has taken me over 2hrs to even be able to login. All other pages are loading fine.

Cheers
Col
Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #37
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Dreadfully slow for me yesterday as well and got worse by 7.00pm, tried a couple of times after that and it was still going downhill so I gave up and quit at about 10.00pm. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #38
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

No reason why that should be the case - looking at the logs from last night the average load times were below 500ms right through until well after midnight they had been around 650 earlier in the evening but even that is quick.

Need to check whether those having issues use the same ISP.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #39
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Also worth noting that I am doing the remaining indices this morning after rebuilding some corrupted database tables that were damaged in the crash Sunday night.

Will have some impact on performance but probably not a lot.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #40
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I rang my internet provider last night (Optus) and had them reset my modem and check my settings in case it was on my end and they said everything was working fine, however the exchange for my area does seem to be running below it's usual output.

It was just odd that it was only AFF I had an issue with. If our service goes slow for any reason, we generally tend to load a youtube video to see if there is a delay and that was working fine last night.

Cheers
Col
Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #41
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. We use Optus as well but I could load autospeed in the blink of an eye as with google and google images. Cheers MD.
ps: dont you ever sleep Russ. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #42
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

adam internet here
everything else was loading fine and quick
aff was much much slower

but its fine this morning
loading up pages very quickly
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #43
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Yesterday evening between 6-7pm (QLD) AAF was very slow for me. Pages would begin to load then stop loading after the first 4-5 posts were displayed, same would happen on refresh. Tried other sites and was ok, did a cold boot and no difference. I'd been logged in most of the day without a hitch. Tried later on at 9pm and all was good. It's flying right now.

I'm not complaining, these things aren't just peculiar to AFF.

Optus cable, IE9, Win7.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #44
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

It's odd - if anything it should be somewhat slower at the moment - in fact the average load times are terrible at 1210ms although (thankfully) the slowness is in the apache layer and not the database so we at least fixed that bit!

At about this time we normally have around 500ms in the apache layer and 200ms in the database - the latter having gotten to the point where it was over 700-800 on it's own which is why we did the upgrade.

What I am seeing now is 800ms in apache and 200-250ms of database response so something has now gone awry with the former. I'll do an apache restart shortly (at 6pm) and then watch it for awhile as I suspect a rogue thread or two.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 12-03-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #45
jmac

Hey Russ have you explored putting nginx as a reverse proxy in front of Apache? Some good improvements to be had.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #46
Geez Louise
Awesome

AFF is now starting to run a little slower as it did last night. I am finding when I hit refresh, or go back to the main page, the top of my address bar just keeps spinning, like it is trying to load the page and hasn't found a finish point.

Perhaps it is just due to the amount of users logged on? Forum appears to be busier from 7-10pm most nights.

Cheers
Col
Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #47
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

I don't think the number of users online is the problem. It's working fine for me right now with more users online than at times when it has taken minutes to load rather than milliseconds. I gave up at 7 AM this morning. BTW, my ISP is SpinTel using Telstra ADSL2+ infrastructure. Other sites are OK.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #48
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise View Post
AFF is now starting to run a little slower as it did last night. I am finding when I hit refresh, or go back to the main page, the top of my address bar just keeps spinning, like it is trying to load the page and hasn't found a finish point.

Perhaps it is just due to the amount of users logged on? Forum appears to be busier from 7-10pm most nights.

Cheers
Col
Whilst 2,052 is reasonably high it isn't massively excessive compared to what we have been seeing. The response times are certainly heading in the wrong direction at the moment - up around 1500ms average which is higher than this time yesterday and even higher than a week ago before the memory upgrade which is counter intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac
Hey Russ have you explored putting nginx as a reverse proxy in front of Apache? Some good improvements to be had.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I'm not really seeing anything in the apache server stats that give me cause for concern - since the restart:

Server uptime: 1 hour 14 minutes 19 secondsTotal accesses: 179,851 - Total Traffic: 2.8 GBCPU Usage: u2163.59 s16.51 cu2.34 cs0 - 48.9% CPU load40.3 requests/sec - 0.6 MB/second - 16.3 kB/request52 requests currently being processed, 33 idle workers.. all within normal tolerance but having said that the bulk of the load times are still in the PHP layer currently around 900ms average.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #49
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam View Post
I don't think the number of users online is the problem. It's working fine for me right now with more users online than at times when it has taken minutes to load rather than milliseconds. I gave up at 7 AM this morning. BTW, my ISP is SpinTel using Telstra ADSL2+ infrastructure. Other sites are OK.
The 7.00 a.m spike this morning was me running the rest of the table re-indexes (well all but the biggest) - spiked the server out to 5000ms response times until it had finished which is why I usually do that stuff in the middle of the night.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #50
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise View Post
It was just odd that it was only AFF I had an issue with. If our service goes slow for any reason, we generally tend to load a youtube video to see if there is a delay and that was working fine last night.

Cheers
Col
When I'm getting errors where a site won't load - ie: site not found, unable to load, 404 ectetera, I go to http://www.websitenotworking.com/ and type in the the URL to get a second opinion.

To check the performance of my connection I go to http://www.speedtest.net/ Once you follow the simple set up the site will remember up to your 10 last tests for comparison - no need to join for the premium package. It's not the be all to end all, just another tool in the box for referencing.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #51
Geez Louise
Awesome

Thanks for that supershifty. I have been running speedtests on the hour for the Optus tech's and currently we are running at 76757kbps upload speed and 1338kbps download speed which is within the norm but AFF is still running slow.

I know Russ is working on it and hopefully it will be resolved soon. Currently it is taking me over 20secs to load an AFF page.

I hope some of this information helps you Russ.

Cheers
Col
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #52
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Doesn't match what I'm seeing - page loads were high earlier in the evening but have settled down into the mid 500ms bracket as per the chart below.

Apache stats have also settled substantially -

Server uptime: 3 hours 41 minutes 49 seconds
Total accesses: 580,709
Total Traffic: 8.8 GB
CPU Usage: u551.47 s8.86 cu.73 cs0 - 4.22% CPU load
43.6 requests/sec - 0.7 MB/second - 15.9 kB/request
49 requests currently being processed, 33 idle workers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130312_2130.jpg (142.2 KB, 95 views)

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 12-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #53
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Whatever just happened in the last ten minutes - pages are now loading super fast.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #54
Geez Louise
Awesome

It is faster but my webpage is still spinning. I seem to have intermittant issues. It is sometimes fast and then slow again.

It is not an issue with the optus network as I just got off the phone to the internet tech and all other pages etc are loading fine.

Cheers
Col
Old 13-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #55
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I gave up this morning trying to get on here on my tablet. All other web pages I was browsing were fine but I could never load AFF gave up after 10mins of white.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #56
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

After some tuning last night to take advantage of the additional memory we now have things running at a nice level. Average response times today have been good (including at 0700 when I was on) with a peak (thus far) around 1000ms at 1500 and an overall average of 623ms.

It's still spending way too much time in the PHP serving end (Apache) - not sure if this is caused by compressing pages before they are delivered (which we do to minimise bandwidth) or whether there is something else in Apache that I can do.

At least this is now the reverse of what we had before where more than 70% of the time was taken in the database - it's now 20-25% in the database and the balance serving the PHP.

Realistically I am targeting average loads in the sub 1000ms bracket (which we are doing) but with a near enough 50/50 mix between database and PHP which should result in sub 500ms averages.

For those interested in the details, I've created a little page where the live response times are monitored HERE which shows the rolling 6 hour average and the mix between PHP (cyan) and database (orange) time.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 13-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #57
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

Interesting indeed

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #58
Geez Louise
Awesome

It is running great for me tonight. Thanks for all your efforts Russ. Greatly appreciated
Old 14-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #59
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Mystery solved as to why things have been strange.

In tracking down another issue with thread views not updating, I found that that table was corrupted and there were several hundred temporary tables being created to cache that data which, in turn, was locking the database intermittently.

Hopefully fixed now although we will wait and see what happens next.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

6 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #60
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

Not sure if its just me but I cant get any of the smiley things to work, same goes for bold and italic etc...??

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
ebgtjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post