Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New road rule (Vic)

So there is another new road rule coming in effect as of July 1 this year and will come with a fine of $277 and no demerit points.

"Motorists passing emergency vehicles with flashing lights must slow to 40km/h or face fines under a new law being introduced in Victoria.From July 1, drivers face a fine of $277 if they fail to slow to the new speed limit while passing a stationary or slow-moving emergency vehicle with lights flashing or a siren sounding, the state government said on Monday"

Lets see how this pans out on say the Western highway (110 zone) with a police officer pulling up a driver for a licence check. Could be some nose to tails involving trucks when captain careful slams the brakes on 200 meters away from the flashing red and blues. No demerit points but a fine, smells like revenue raising to me...

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/natio...-vehicles.html
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

Default Re: New road rule (Vic)

what? the coppers hate people that drive past and sticky beak, so the government makes it law! lol
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Gee-dog

It's bloody 25kph in SA. Get booked for going through at 60kph (so 35kph over the limit) & the fine is $880 plus $60 victim of crime levy, and 7 points.
Gee-dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Hmmm so effectively legislating rubber neckers.
Old 19-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are police vehicles classed as emergency vehicles?
suppose so.
I can see the point of slowing past an accident scene, but it would be a PITA to slow for coppers puling people over for speeding etc
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Hmmm so effectively legislating rubber neckers.
Basically, what I thought. Nothing will really change.

The only thing I can think of as an ambo is that the cars going past a crash scene will be safer, but in my experience everyone slows down and gawks at you anyway.

My Show and Shine thread:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...27#post5975027
Dalonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
suppose so.
I can see the point of slowing past an accident scene, but it would be a PITA to slow for coppers puling people over for speeding etc
It's a mixed bag in SA with traffic stops....some officers turn the lights off to not disrupt traffic, some do not. I applaud those that exercise discretion as it's traffic hell when they don't. You always end up wondering what the hold up was as they're often clear by the time you get there.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flashing lights? we get them slowing down to 40 passing unmanned camera cars in an 80 zone
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP

Last edited by Vesper Martini; 19-06-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee-dog View Post
It's bloody 25kph in SA. Get booked for going through at 60kph (so 35kph over the limit) & the fine is $880 plus $60 victim of crime levy, and 7 points.
I had no idea about the rule in S.A. Good to know when I go there in August.
Old 19-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee-dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
It's a mixed bag in SA with traffic stops....some officers turn the lights off to not disrupt traffic, some do not. I applaud those that exercise discretion as it's traffic hell when they don't. You always end up wondering what the hold up was as they're often clear by the time you get there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
I had no idea about the rule in S.A. Good to know when I go there in August.
The S.A. rule applies to both sides of the road as well.... unless the road is divided (ie: has a median strip or larger, like on a freeway)

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
suppose so.
Police, ambos and fire services are Emergency Vehicles, but only when they are sounding a siren or showing flashing lights. So, in other words, the coppers who pull you over for a licence check and sound their siren or flash their blue lights to get your attention are NOT invoking the provisions of the Emergency Vehicles Act and therefore not deemed to be an Emergency Vehicle.

The whole point of this new law will be what the emergency vehicles are responding to. If the situation is not an emergency, there might be a good argument to be had.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by JAJH; 19-06-2017 at 05:27 PM.
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #12
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Is there a prescribed slow down distance before and after the seeing the emergency vehicles lights, people could be on a straight proad and the emergency vehicle is 2km away, are we supposed to slow down for the next 2km and presumably a distance after passing the vehicle.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #13
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody hell its getting worse.

After losing my license for nine months a couple of years ago i now have a full 12 points again and its going to stay that way......I use my cruise control EVERYWHERE now.

Its just not worth it.......And the amount of cars i've seen lately with either 1 headlight globe or 1 brakelight not working is rediculous.

Fricken glad i don't live in S.A!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #14
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
So, in other words, the coppers who pull you over for a licence check and sound their siren or flash their blue lights to get your attention are NOT invoking the provisions of the Emergency Vehicles Act and therefore not deemed to be an Emergency Vehicle.

The whole point of this new law will be what the emergency vehicles are responding to. If the situation is not an emergency, there might be a good argument to be had.
As far as I know this rule also applies to police and Vicroads vehicles with red and blues on. So in any instance such as pulling over a driver on a dual lane Highway for a licence check with red and blues on this rule would apply even though its NOT and emergency. This rule is open to so much confusion be it a tow truck even....
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

no different to slowing down for any other roadside worker really though, is it?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #16
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
no different to slowing down for any other roadside worker really though, is it?
Or any parked car on the side of the road or highway...You can't protect everyone so where does it end....
Old 19-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #17
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Roads Minister Luke Donellan said emergency workers have told the government they 'feel in danger while they're doing their job'.

How about some road rules as a result of some unbiased research. "Feel in danger" is not good policy. there at a minimum should be some research provided on the extent of the problem and how this actually addresses said problem and not what is intended.

So lets add confusion to the roads that will fix it.

How often do cars drive into slow moving or stationary emergency vehicles? Statistically, they would have to be the least likely to be hit surely, because people naturally slow and its not very bright to hit a large Fire truck or Ambulance.

A non-problem.

Last edited by zipping; 19-06-2017 at 06:37 PM.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #18
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a non issue here in SA, firstly if the coppers have pulled someone over randomly, they aren't gonna stand there with the laser gun to "get" you, they're busy. Secondly even if you haven't slowed down to the 25k speed but have slowed considerably, the traffic around you will do the same creating a safer work space for both the officer and the citizen being interacted with.
Not everything you hear is a conspiracy to defraud the public.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 19-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no big deal

we've had it for years

* see above post *
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #20
Trump
bitch lasagne

This will do nothing to allay the concerns of the emergency workers. If anything, it will cause a road hazard as people will jump on the anchors whenever they see the disco lights, regardless of the speed of the traffic flow or the prevailing traffic conditions. In the event of an actual emergency situation that requires the attendance of the ambos or firies, the road is blocked off sufficiently to enable any accident victims to be removed and taken to hospital and to expedite the removal of the wreckage.

It is a pure revenue raising exercise.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #21
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee-dog View Post
Yea, we had the cops going bonkers at us not slowing down, we didnt know the rule.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
This will do nothing to allay the concerns of the emergency workers. If anything, it will cause a road hazard as people will jump on the anchors whenever they see the disco lights, regardless of the speed of the traffic flow or the prevailing traffic conditions. In the event of an actual emergency situation that requires the attendance of the ambos or firies, the road is blocked off sufficiently to enable any accident victims to be removed and taken to hospital and to expedite the removal of the wreckage.

provision of a safer workplace is a revenue raising exercise??
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH
Police, ambos and fire services are Emergency Vehicles, but only when they are sounding a siren or showing flashing lights. So, in other words, the coppers who pull you over for a licence check and sound their siren or flash their blue lights to get your attention are NOT invoking the provisions of the Emergency Vehicles Act and therefore not deemed to be an Emergency Vehicle.

You two guys just don't get it with this new law & why it is introduced.
Nothing hard about slowing down when hearing or seeing emergency vehicles warning systems operating.
This will teach the ignorant to pay more attention on the roads we use.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #24
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The big question under this new law is.... Who is going to book you?

I mean, if the police are not there with their radar gun in hand... And it is only an ambulance or fire truck by the side of the road.... Without proof of speed via radar gun, which ambos and fire fighters are not authorised to use, then it is their word against yours, and won't stand up in court!
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #25
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
You two guys just don't get it with this new law & why it is introduced.
Nothing hard about slowing down when hearing or seeing emergency vehicles warning systems operating.
This will teach the ignorant to pay more attention on the roads we use.
It will not create a safer workplace for the ambos and fireys as the already brain dead will simply jump on the brakes without regard to who might be behind them when they see the party lights, creating a greater road hazard. Not only that, in the event of a major emergency on the road where more appliances/vehicles are needed in the addition to the first attenders, traffic will have already slowed. With this new legal instrument, it will slow even further to a crawl or even standstill, further hindering access to the site by other emergency vehicles.

Freeways in metro Melbourne are already clogged to buggery, there is no need to add to it with this idiotic move.

Last edited by Trump; 19-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #26
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalonian View Post
Basically, what I thought. Nothing will really change.

The only thing I can think of as an ambo is that the cars going past a crash scene will be safer, but in my experience everyone slows down and gawks at you anyway.
That's been my experience also. I suppose rubber necking at 40k is safer than at 60 +>
Old 19-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #27
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
provision of a safer workplace is a revenue raising exercise??
There are some workplaces where it isn't possible to legislate safer conditions, that's a fact of life.

Old 19-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It will not create a safer workplace for the ambos and fireys as the already brain dead will simply jump on the brakes without regard to who might be behind them when they see the party lights, creating a greater road hazard. Not only that, in the event of a major emergency on the road where more appliances/vehicles are needed in the addition to the first attenders, traffic will have already slowed. With this new legal instrument, it will slow even further to a crawl or even standstill, further hindering access to the site by other emergency vehicles.

Freeways in metro Melbourne are already clogged to buggery, there is no need to add to it with this idiotic move.
strawman yells at clouds
Old 19-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #29
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are some workplaces where it isn't possible to legislate safer conditions, that's a fact of life.
see above
Old 19-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #30
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
strawman yells at clouds
Shoosh you