Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2017, 12:36 AM   #121
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Even hotter Kia Stinger in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Car doesn't have much balance at all, seems to handle as well as a VN Commodore through the corners, or are they using cheap Chinese kinglong or whatever brand road tyres? Not real convinced about the acceleration rate though, the Barra seems to flick through the digits in a much more rapid and consistent fashion..
Are you talking about the VN with 125kw/288Nm, 4 speed auto, and radial tuned suspension? Yeah the Stinger with 270kw, 510Nm, 8 speed, and multilink won't have a chance!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #122
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Are you talking about the VN with 125kw/288Nm, 4 speed auto, and radial tuned suspension? Yeah the Stinger with 270kw, 510Nm, 8 speed, and multilink won't have a chance!
Stick a 2JZ-GTE motor or an RB26DETT or a Barra under that VN hood and you will have a fairly quick car, if not quicker but with similar handling, and a lot more street cred.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 03:18 AM   #123
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Stick a 2JZ-GTE motor or an RB26DETT or a Barra under that VN hood and you will have a fairly quick car, if not quicker but with similar handling, and a lot more street cred.
Well in my hypothetical world, I take the 5.0 V8 from the K900, bore it, stroke it, put a racing cam in it, bigger injectors, fuel pump, add two turbos, supercharger, intercooler, racing fuel, and nitrous. So we are talking 1500KW. Wait, I'm not done yet. That's just the generator to power the 5000KW electric motors that drive all four wheels, giving a 0-100 time of around 1.2 seconds.

Anyway back to reality, the Stinger GT is going to be a sweet car.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #124
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah because families want a Barra powered VN
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #125
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Agree with the handling comments, it doesn't look at all composed through the corners and the dreaded second guessing on the transmission exiting corners wouldn't be fun either especially if it does it while trying to shift with the flappy paddles.
To be fair.... he's tipping into corners at a fairly rapid rate. Seen and driven plenty of late model falcons and commodores that will do the same if not worse in similar situations. The power out at lower speeds looks decent enough.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #126
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Agree with the handling comments, it doesn't look at all composed through the corners and the dreaded second guessing on the transmission exiting corners wouldn't be fun either especially if it does it while trying to shift with the flappy paddles.
Wow- tough audience- I thought it was pretty composed and sat well through corners.

Agree about the auto- they need a manual.

And the sound- sounds like my portable sanding machine working on a wooden door- and a rough grainy wooden door at that... the sound needs to be improved. A LOT.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #127
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Car doesn't have much balance at all, seems to handle as well as a VN Commodore through the corners, or are they using cheap Chinese kinglong or whatever brand road tyres?...........
I agree. I'm guessing it's a factory vid so the steerer should be pretty competent, but he's really working at it trying to get through the corners.
Could be he's tipping it in too fast for the tyres but the suspension is really struggling. And the wheelspin out of some corners shows it's just not getting the power down. Having done racing and other track work, I'd be doing a lot of suspension work on that car before I'd be happy with it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #128
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Yeah because families want a Barra powered VN
If I was a family man with the need for speed , I'd install a Barra into a VN and keep the $50k change and put that towards a house , rather than splurge on a worthless kia..
Old 18-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #129
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
If I was a family man with the need for speed , I'd install a Barra into a VN and keep the $50k change and put that towards a house , rather than splurge on a worthless kia..
Each to their own, id buy an F6.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #130
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know the weight difference between the Stinger and FGX XR6T?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #131
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Go buy a VN, and race it against the kia. Make sure you video it so we can all see how much the kia destroys it lol. Your argument is invalid, I could buy a mazda mx5 and put an ls1 into it and beat your modified vn monstrosity for less money
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #132
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Does anyone know the weight difference between the Stinger and FGX XR6T?
They are pretty similar. Both a bit over 1700 kg.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #133
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I agree. I'm guessing it's a factory vid so the steerer should be pretty competent, but he's really working at it trying to get through the corners.
Could be he's tipping it in too fast for the tyres but the suspension is really struggling. And the wheelspin out of some corners shows it's just not getting the power down. Having done racing and other track work, I'd be doing a lot of suspension work on that car before I'd be happy with it.
Factory video, they know what they are doing. 1.2 G cheap four door sedan Porsche territory enough said!
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #134
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Irrespective of opinion I'm happy that KIA is having a go. Good on em'.
Kia has got to start somewhere and the Stinger is a bloody good start in my opinion. They've got some pretty good brains from other companies on board and the R&D will only see the Stinger get better and better. The 7 year warranty is just gold. My F6 ran out of warranty 19 days ago - would've been great to know I still had another 4 years to go.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #135
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
bah. spend it on a 5 sec Aurion
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #136
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

And the sound- sounds like my portable sanding machine working on a wooden door- and a rough grainy wooden door at that... the sound needs to be improved. A LOT.
Apparently...... this is being addressed somewhat.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/559324/k...xhaust-system/

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #137
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They need to have a listen to the new F150 Raptor. They sound pretty damn good for a V6 when you are up them. Same goes for the regular F-150 with ecoboost V6 option. They do a great impression of a V8 noise. They go bloody well for a 6 too, no wonder the V6 Ecoboost is currently making up about 75% of F series sales.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #138
Sioso
irregular member

Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #139
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Kia Stinger GT on Highway Patrol radar

The*KIA Stinger GT could be hiding in some bushes on a freeway near you if chosen by Australian police forces as their next highway patrol car.
Kia says its new 272kW/510Nm twin-turbo V6 hero car has attracted interest from every state and territory bar the NT, with some police having already put a prototype car through its paces in secret testing.
“We are starting to loan them to the police now,” said Kia Motors Australia’s Kevin Hepworth. “They’ve had people in-house looking at the car, getting all the tech details on it, and now they’re starting to get an opportunity to test drive.”

Hepworth said police forces were happy with its Brembo brakes, size and power and that it met requirements for wiring, but that it would need to ditch the 19-inch wheels for the 2.0-litre’s 18s in order to carry a full-size spare, which the standard Stinger GT does not have. The Stinger GT’s standard 19-inch wheels are a staggered fitment, 8.0-inch front and 9.0-inch rear.
The Stinger GT was also well positioned to meet police criteria for value, resale, boot space and the ability to easily fit a second battery.
Some states were also considering the less powerful 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder for general duties, said Hepworth.

The news comes as police forces around the country continue to weigh-up replacements for the Falcon and Commodore, other cars considered for highway patrol use including the Ford Mustang and Chrysler 300 SRT.
The Kia Stinger GT is officially on-sale in Australia from September with pricing still to-be-announced.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/ne...cid=spartandhp

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #140
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it. I'm sure panel fit and alignments will be pretty spot on. That type of bonnet is difficult to get right but it looks as though Kia has done well.
Old 20-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #141
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

amazing how a car with rwd gets everyone so excited regardless of who makes it
maybe Great Wall or Chery could get in on the act then everyone would say what a great replacement for the SS and XR
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #142
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
Kia Stinger GT on Highway Patrol radar

The*KIA Stinger GT could be hiding in some bushes on a freeway near you if chosen by Australian police forces as their next highway patrol car.
Kia says its new 272kW/510Nm twin-turbo V6 hero car has attracted interest from every state and territory bar the NT, with some police having already put a prototype car through its paces in secret testing.
“We are starting to loan them to the police now,” said Kia Motors Australia’s Kevin Hepworth. “They’ve had people in-house looking at the car, getting all the tech details on it, and now they’re starting to get an opportunity to test drive.”

Hepworth said police forces were happy with its Brembo brakes, size and power and that it met requirements for wiring, but that it would need to ditch the 19-inch wheels for the 2.0-litre’s 18s in order to carry a full-size spare, which the standard Stinger GT does not have. The Stinger GT’s standard 19-inch wheels are a staggered fitment, 8.0-inch front and 9.0-inch rear.
The Stinger GT was also well positioned to meet police criteria for value, resale, boot space and the ability to easily fit a second battery.
Some states were also considering the less powerful 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder for general duties, said Hepworth.

The news comes as police forces around the country continue to weigh-up replacements for the Falcon and Commodore, other cars considered for highway patrol use including the Ford Mustang and Chrysler 300 SRT.
The Kia Stinger GT is officially on-sale in Australia from September with pricing still to-be-announced.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/ne...cid=spartandhp
I'm not sure why the police need something that quick when "there's no such thing as safe speeding"
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #143
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its called catch up.
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #144
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is anyone else left wondering what the final iteration of the stinger product life cycle will look like HP wise? 300kw? 330Kw? 350Kw?

Michelin Power super sports aren't a entry level tyre, no wonder 1.2G's was seen (heap of new info now on line about stinger - Oz to get Conti's instead
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #145
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely this is the only vehicle the Police can use for a Sting Operation.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #146
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Is anyone else left wondering what the final iteration of the stinger product life cycle will look like HP wise? 300kw? 330Kw? 350Kw?

Michelin Power super sports aren't a entry level tyre, no wonder 1.2G's was seen (heap of new info now on line about stinger - Oz to get Conti's instead
Yeah thought Id seen both tyre brands in pictures.
Wilkinshaw are already making a "better note" Exhaust option perhaps that will give a few extra Kw.
who knows what else they will come up with..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #147
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/s...-drive-review/
Sounds like it goes good.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #148
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love this comment. Although the Chevy (Akar Oz Commodore) is about to be extinct anyway.

"After my experience, I would also suggest anyone interested in over-priced and under-styled Chevrolet SS give this car serious consideration, as well. It might not have the V-8 rumble and stick shift, but it’s otherwise a solid alternative."
ozrunner is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #149
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Surely this is the only vehicle the Police can use for a Sting Operation.
Sting and The Police just took on a whole new meaning, it's no longer just an 80s band. Free marketing for Kia
Old 23-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #150
adz137

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74 View Post
That was a good read. It hit 60mph in 4.9 sec which would equate to 100km in the low 5 seconds bracket. So its as quick as our XR6 turbos, i dont like the way it looks and i would never consider buying one but you gotta be impressed with those figures.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post