Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
AG3

Default Ford Fiesta’s future in Australia unclear, Focus cloudy too

Ford Fiesta’s future in Australia unclear, Focus cloudy too
Car maker questioning the place of small passenger cars in Australia

The future of the Ford Fiesta in Australia remains under a cloud of uncertainty, with the brand clearly considering whether it makes economic sense to bring the next-gen model Down Under. And now the Ford Focus could be in the firing line, too.

CarAdvice spoke with Graeme Whickman, president and CEO of Ford Australia at the updated Ford Transit Custom launch this week, where the question of the Fiesta’s fate was raised.

“My comment on that is that we haven’t even got to a stage where we’re happy to talk about the next product incarnation, so speculation will always be out there, but we haven’t come out and said anything at this point,” Whickman said.

“Every vehicle we have in our cycle plan, we go through an in-depth process of development, tailoring, and so, no, we’ve yet to make, and come out with, a particular point of view on that product, or any other product for that matter,” he said.

“It’s not dissimilar to how we would talk about the next Focus, or the next anything. You know, when we’re ready to talk about it, we’ll come out and talk about it. But there’s plenty of water to go under the bridge, there.”

Even with that all on the table, though, Whickman made it clear that there is some serious research into the future potential of a light car from the Blue Oval brand when the current model ceases production out of Thailand. There are suggestions the new-generation car won’t be built in Thailand, though Whickman didn’t confirm that.

Read More: http://www.caradvice.com.au/560672/f...us-cloudy-too/

This is sad.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Ford Fiesta’s future in Australia unclear, Focus cloudy too

Woeful marketing hasn't helped their numbers one bit.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Woeful marketing hasn't helped their numbers one bit.
...that and the image-destroying PowerShift DCT which they got rid of in the 2018 Fiesta they launched in Europe.

In Australian car sales, the Fiesta ranks 10th in its class.

Last edited by AG3; 21-06-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 21-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3 View Post
...that and the image-destroying PowerShift DCT which they got rid of in the 2018 Fiesta they launched in Europe.
It left a very sour taste in many. Once bitten, twice shy and all that...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first company that does a decent compact SUV for $19,990 drive away with auto will win big time
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought a new one back in 2013 and it was the manliest small hatch on the market let down but ford marketing it as a girls car complete with high heel compartment under the passenger seat.
girls didn't want a fiesta they wanted a barina with bits of red highlights and more tech to link to their smart phone.

I did sell it after 11 months and bought a BA GT because i just couldn't live with myself after my brothers reminded me of the high heel compartment every day.

to make it worse they went form a 1.6 to a lower power 1.5 in the WZ......why!
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I hope this is BS, Focus and Fiesta are a bloody good car let down by poor product planners and marketing.
Old 22-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i bought a new one back in 2013 and it was the manliest small hatch on the market let down but ford marketing it as a girls car complete with high heel compartment under the passenger seat.
girls didn't want a fiesta they wanted a barina with bits of red highlights and more tech to link to their smart phone.

I did sell it after 11 months and bought a BA GT because i just couldn't live with myself after my brothers reminded me of the high heel compartment every day.

to make it worse they went form a 1.6 to a lower power 1.5 in the WZ......why!
The drop in size has to do with how cars are taxed in Asia, by engine capacity.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I hope this is BS, Focus and Fiesta are a bloody good car let down by poor product planners and marketing.
I think it's BS. They'll shift production to China if need be
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Sprint XR8

Ford recently announced that the US market Focus will be sourced from China from 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with our Focus and Fiesta.
The split with Mazda and the end of plant sharing is the only reason the Thai plant isn't being retooled to make the new Fiesta. Ford will be keeping the Ranger plant when BT-50 production shifts to Isuzu and Mazda will keep the small car plant.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint XR8 View Post
The split with Mazda and the end of plant sharing is the only reason the Thai plant isn't being retooled to make the new Fiesta.
A few years ago, Ford transferred Fiesta production from AutoAlliance Thailand to the newer Ford Thailand Manufacturing, the facility that builds the Focus and South East Asian EcoSport.
Old 22-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #12
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the articles title is misleading and the story itself is nothing.

Wickman simply gave CA the basics of the process they follow with products when asked.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint XR8 View Post
Ford recently announced that the US market Focus will be sourced from China from 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with our Focus and Fiesta.
The split with Mazda and the end of plant sharing is the only reason the Thai plant isn't being retooled to make the new Fiesta. Ford will be keeping the Ranger plant when BT-50 production shifts to Isuzu and Mazda will keep the small car plant.
So where will the US spec ST range come from, Saarlouis?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Most likely, some (unspecified) variants will be sourced from Europe.

Quote:
Most of the initial models for North America will come from China, with additional variants coming from Europe.
- http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...tead-of-mexico
Old 22-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

they are only selling a couple of hundred a month of each, compared with the couple of thousand each for Kia, Hyundai and Toyota. With high prices and low return it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they went away. Shame as they are really nice cars, especially the ST. We'd probably lose the RS too if there weren't any base models :(
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #16
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have absolutely no idea where this is all heading ..Yes I do..
DOWN HILL. Ford in Australia will end up as a very 'bit' player with passenger cars..So will Holden.
Bloody sad indictment on a once proud local manufacturer country . The cheap and cheerful mob are helping consign cars like Focus and Fiesta to oblivion.
For this little black duck they can take their low cost imported SUV's and crossovers built in China , Thailand and India and shove them up where the sun don't shine .....sideways for all I care. At least Japan and South Korea have earned their stripes over some decent time now with Aussie buyers...perhaps

Last edited by roddy1960; 22-06-2017 at 09:42 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

sorry dude, but Ford Australia have always been an also run bit player if you look globally. at their best 50,000 cars a year was a tiny, tiny drop in the ocean of global Ford sales, let alone compared to Toyota or GM.

Great cars for their time, don't get me wrong, but no longer what people want. Same is happening now with the small cars - people don't want great driving cars, they just want cheap ways to get from A-B, preferably with good reliability, good resale value, and dealers who don't take the ****
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #18
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Should read Ford's Future in Australia unclear. Pretty bad time to be a Ford dealer, nothing exciting in the range bar the Mustang, and even that is a bit lukewarm unless it goes through the aftermarket scene... If Ford australia left completely would they even be missed anymore? They are dead to me after falcon and territory died, and if there was no ford Australia, ford enthusiasts would source the real enthusiast Ford vehicles they really wanted from overseas anyway.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #19
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Should read Ford's Future in Australia unclear. Pretty bad time to be a Ford dealer, nothing exciting in the range bar the Mustang, and even that is a bit lukewarm unless it goes through the aftermarket scene... If Ford australia left completely would they even be missed anymore? They are dead to me after falcon and territory died, and if there was no ford Australia, ford enthusiasts would source the real enthusiast Ford vehicles they really wanted from overseas anyway.
I read the Ranger and Mustang are the top selling models in Australia.

What's keeping Ford alive in Asia-Pacific is the Ranger and maybe the Everest.
They can't rely on those two models for survival (long term), they need more successful models.

One of the main reasons Fiesta sales dropped significantly in Australia and Asia is because of its problematic PowerShift transmission.

This problem was solved in the new Fiesta in Europe (reverts to a torque converter auto) but now they decided they might not sell it in Asia-Pacific?

Last edited by AG3; 22-06-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 22-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #20
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Sorry what?

Mustang (5.0 and EcoBoost)
Focus ST
Focus RS
Fiesta ST

Lukewarm? Try an actual world class range with class leading performance hatch (RS & Fiesta ST).
Old 22-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #21
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
What's keeping Ford alive in Asia-Pacific is the Ranger and maybe the Everest.
They can't rely on those two models for survival (long term), they need more successful models.

PS: The PowerShift transmission and the car being "old" are the main reasons Fiesta sales have dropped significantly in Australia and around Asia. Ford launches a new Fiesta in Europe and gets rid of the problematic transmission, then decide they might not sell it on this side of the world?
Toyota has those covered and has decades more expertise than Ford on dual cab ute and SUV derivative, Ford just struck it lucky in 2007-2010 when Toyota were sitting complacently on their perch and Broadmeadows had the guts to knock the Hilux off the perch. But it's nearly 8 years on and Ranger has not progressed the way Toyota has. The rate at which Toyota is churning out new models every two or three years down from eight to nine previously, is quite astounding. And it seems they have finally mastered the art of designing decent looking vehicles, after probably being forced to by the Korean competition. Ford looks a bit iffy in some of their designs and don't update their models quite as often. I wouldn't care about these updates, or gadgets/tech gimmicks but it seems the general buying public are learning to expecting this and Ford and GM aren't delivering... The Koreans, and Jap-Thai's are certainly delivering in this area.
Old 22-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Sorry what?

Focus ST
Focus RS
Fiesta ST

Lukewarm? Try an actual world class range with class leading performance hatch (RS & Fiesta ST).
Good on you for the brand loyalty, I wish I was as forgiving of Ford. That is a rather short list there. But take those Ford coloured glasses off and try driving both mustangs in stock form , ignoring what badge its wearing. Nothing to write home about, their beauty is skin deep, quality doesn't feel all that great, just about on par with the VF Commodore, which is just barely average (versus woeful for VE and older). I don't recall the last time I have seen a Current model Focus RS/ST or Fiesta ST. Plenty of old XR5 from back in the Ford glory days still putting around though. They are not competitively priced for what they are, and objectively , the Japs and Germans have the Hatch and performance hatch market stitched up and the sales numbers speak for themselves...
Old 22-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #23
AG3

Quote:
Good on you for the brand loyalty, I wish I was as forgiving of Ford. That is a rather short list there. But take those Ford coloured glasses off and try driving both mustangs in stock form , ignoring what badge its wearing. Nothing to write home about, their beauty is skin deep, quality doesn't feel all that great, just about on par with the VF Commodore, which is just barely average (versus woeful for VE and older). I don't recall the last time I have seen a Current model Focus RS/ST or Fiesta ST. Plenty of old XR5 from back in the Ford glory days still putting around though. They are not competitively priced for what they are, and objectively , the Japs and Germans have the Hatch and performance hatch market stitched up and the sales numbers speak for themselves...
The Ranger and Mustang are the two top selling Ford models in Australia.

Based on the May Australian vehicle sales, Ford sold 4069 Rangers (close second to Hilux) and 1351 Mustangs (pretty good number for a 2-door 2+2 coupe).
- http://www.caradvice.com.au/556602/f...anger-mustang/

Ford has many good models, I just don't like how Ford gives little importance to small cars like the Fiesta outside Europe.

Last edited by AG3; 22-06-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 22-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #24
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
The US-spec Fiesta ST is made in Mexico...

Quote:
Sorry what?

Focus ST
Focus RS
Fiesta ST

All true, the bottom three are made in Germany though and the quality is markedly better than my missus' Thai WT Fiesta TDCi.

I have a Fiesta ST, great little runabout. Can't tow jack but it's a superb handling well-built fairly toey little thing
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #25
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Good on you for the brand loyalty, I wish I was as forgiving of Ford. That is a rather short list there
Wow.

Ford are offering performance across three body styles; RWD, FWD and AWD; and four different engines. A performance line up starting at 29ish K for a Fiesta ST though to 70ish K for a convertible V8 Mustang.

That's a pretty comprehensive list mate.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2017, 01:52 AM   #26
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
The US-spec Fiesta ST is made in Mexico...
I believe he was responding to the post about the next US-spec Focus production moving to China.

Some models (unspecified) of the next US Focus will be sourced from Europe, most likely the performance models.
Old 23-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #27
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
just about on par with the VF Commodore, which is just barely average (versus woeful for VE and older).
Sounds like a review of the last Falcons ( since 2008 ).
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #28
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
I believe he was responding to the post about the next US-spec Focus production moving to China.

Some models (unspecified) of the next US Focus will be sourced from Europe, most likely the performance models.
Yeah correct post no US production.

As for those banging on about ford's quality of the current cars. My Ute albeit 6 years old ain't a patch on my old ST, not even close in regards to quality.

Seems having no falcon anymore some people are still very butt hurt about it. Move on.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #29
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
LOL, I think you need to take your own advice and take off the Falcon tinted glasses. I may be a Ford fan but I can at least acknowledge something other than one model.

Seriously get over it. It's time has passed. It was never anything more than an average car, never excelled at much. Quality you talk about? Sorry but Mustang is all over Falcon for quality.

You may have not seen many Focus RS/ST but that is because you don't get out much, well outside of the your Falcon.
The RS has been selling very well in AU and world wide, ST too, both Fiesta and Focus. These cars have opened up Ford to a new market of people that would never have considered a Ford before.
There are not many brands out there that have so many performance cars within their range, yet you still complain.
If we were offered LHD cars, opens up even more from the Ford family.
Old 23-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Toyota has those covered and has decades more expertise than Ford on dual cab ute and SUV derivative, Ford just struck it lucky in 2007-2010 when Toyota were sitting complacently on their perch and Broadmeadows had the guts to knock the Hilux off the perch. But it's nearly 8 years on and Ranger has not progressed the way Toyota has. The rate at which Toyota is churning out new models every two or three years down from eight to nine previously, is quite astounding. And it seems they have finally mastered the art of designing decent looking vehicles, after probably being forced to by the Korean competition. Ford looks a bit iffy in some of their designs and don't update their models quite as often. I wouldn't care about these updates, or gadgets/tech gimmicks but it seems the general buying public are learning to expecting this and Ford and GM aren't delivering... The Koreans, and Jap-Thai's are certainly delivering in this area.
Don't know where to start with this. Ranger offers a lot of things Hilux doesn't. It's a superior vehicle is every way bar maybe long term reliability, and it has had more updates over the past 6 years than Hilux has.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post