Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #31
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Arcade heaven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
The first PC (clone) I had only ran DOS (it was prior to windows).
You had to know your commands, or have a simple menu program like Xtree.

The # 1 pirate command: copy a: *.* b: (when you had 2 floppy drives).
Copy protection? What protection?

I still wonder how I ever thought a 10Mb hard drive was big. It held the equivalent of 25-30x 5.25" floppies! I made a slide hammer with the splindle out of that drive - because it was a double-height drive, the spindle was a cylinder of steel around 100mm high x 40mm diameter, with a 10mm hole down the guts. Nice & solid.

The turbo button on them was interesting - it actually worked in reverse (ie with turbo on it ran at its rated speed, and when turbo was off it slowed it down. Was a good cheat mode for games that relied on the processor clock speed, and slowed down as well.

Do you remember the early "rubber cup" modems for the old dial phones?

I bought the little Sega genesis classic thing a while back - never realised how woesful the graphics on Alex Kidd were.... and Sonic isn't much better.

I still own a Super Nintendo & dozens of games, buried somewhere in the garage, so I bought the mini when it came out a few months back. Mario Kart brings back some memories!
Would trade all the modern conveniences like wifi, smartphone, online shopping etc to have all of that back, those were the days. Simple, stable and built to last. All the modern overcomplicated tech has gotten so unreliable and with the built in redundancy where they don't last beyond the warranty period, it's all just a big rort..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #32
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Would trade all the modern conveniences like wifi, smartphone, online shopping etc to have all of that back, those were the days. Simple, stable and built to last. All the modern overcomplicated tech has gotten so unreliable and with the built in redundancy where they don't last beyond the warranty period, it's all just a big rort..
Ive worked in IT for 30 years and I'm not sure I agree mate. Modern day electronics at the hardware level are easily as reliable as back then and are far more affordable nowadays. Back then, hard disks, crt monitors, memory chips were all common failures in my experience. Software wise, big issues back then was software had there own drivers for any peripherals, major PITA to get printers, plotters digitisers etc to work correctly for all apps.

Planned obsolescence where consumers seem the crave the latest and greatest is the big rort by manufactures but this applies to virtually all consumer items, including cars. For those of use who hang on to tech (myself included) as we see them as tools to do certain tasks as opposed to a must have accessory, we eventually have to upgrade as software etc no longer work on the older devices, Series I FG Falcon/Iphone owners using bluetooth will know what I mean
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #33
robertmanziel
Starter Motor

Nostalgic! My childhood games. Look at how everything has changed.
robertmanziel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #34
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Slightly off topic, but reading this tread today, I can't help but think of this band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o1pOGc-zS0
Old 15-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #35
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^Showing your age Tom.
This is the only song I remember from them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epfomZRUyRo .
When I was a Navy trainee in the early 80's a classmate bought a 7" single from that album you posted, this was on the B side - got to like it actually.
It had been released a few times - one version in German.
Anyways, my computer intro was in high school in 1980 - the Tandy TRS-80.
http://oldcomputers.net/trs80i.html

And later http://oldcomputers.net/vic20.html
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #36
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
This is the only song I remember from them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epfomZRUyRo .
When I was a Navy trainee in the early 80's a classmate bought a 7" single from that album you posted, this was on the B side - got to like it actually.
It had been released a few times - one version in German.
http://oldcomputers.net/trs80i.html
And later http://oldcomputers.net/vic20.html
And what a great song...

I worked at Dick Smith Electronics during my year 10 work experience and the first thing I ever sold was a Commodore Vic 20...
Old 15-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #37
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufBYaYJAERc

Were some bargains to be had back then...

Potability:

Cause 'puters were sexy back then:

Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2018, 12:22 AM   #38
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^^My 486DX66 cost $3500 in 1994. Can't remember the HDD size, but it did have a superfast 2 x Cdrom drive !! DOS6.22/WIN 3.11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
I worked at Dick Smith Electronics during my year 10 work experience and the first thing I ever sold was a Commodore Vic 20...
Yeah, IIRC I bought mine while I was home on leave in 1984 - you could use a CRT TV as a monitor. I went deluxe and got the cassette deck as well
Used it for a few years and packed it away then for a fair few years too, til it ended up as landfill when I moved house in the mid nineties.
Old 16-01-2018, 12:29 AM   #39
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, speaking of landfill, here's the doco "Atari - Game over".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew8j62WaZ7Q
Most have probably seen it, free to air on SBS, or Netflix.
Covers the rise and fall of Atari, and the game ET and what happened with it.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #40
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
This is the only song I remember from them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epfomZRUyRo.
I worked at Tandy in the mid 80's (when the CD player was first introduced), we played their album 'The Man-Machine' on the linear tracking turntable in rotation with 'Brothers in Arm's' on the CD player. Both albums drilled into my mind, finally bought 'Trans Europe Express In' which was surprisingly popular with the shoppers.

Quote:
The game on the screen in this pic is Star Trek. Enterprise is in the middle and a Klingon towards the bottom RHS. Took me ages to type the BASIC code in from this book -
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #41
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
we played their album 'The Man-Machine' on the linear tracking turntable
Yeah, 'The Model' first appeared on that album - late 70's IIRC, and it was done in German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
The game on the screen in this pic is Star Trek. Enterprise is in the middle and a Klingon towards the bottom RHS.
We used to play 'Super Star Trek' on the TRS-80, not a lot of graphics, but you could do Long/Short range scans, fire Phasors/Photon torpedoes, etc.
"Condition Red - Shields dangerously low".