Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #31
omg

Teki, I'll try and give you an explanation from my perspective

The first thing to understand is you're not buying an XR5 as and out and out sportscar, instead you're looking for something which you can daily drive and that has a bit of zip. After spending the last 6 or so years in cars without cruise I did about 5000km over the christmas break and having cruise was a godsend. While I would still be happy to get a genuine sportscar that didn't have cruise for a car like this (fundamentally a daily driver) for the money they're asking it's a pretty glaring admission. I know personally I'll certainly take the GTI over the XR5 when the time comes and the lack of cruise control will be the main reason.
omg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #32
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg
Teki, I'll try and give you an explanation from my perspective

The first thing to understand is you're not buying an XR5 as and out and out sportscar, instead you're looking for something which you can daily drive and that has a bit of zip. After spending the last 6 or so years in cars without cruise I did about 5000km over the christmas break and having cruise was a godsend. While I would still be happy to get a genuine sportscar that didn't have cruise for a car like this (fundamentally a daily driver) for the money they're asking it's a pretty glaring admission. I know personally I'll certainly take the GTI over the XR5 when the time comes and the lack of cruise control will be the main reason.
Wish you luck!

I do ALOT of highway Ks also... mainly to get to twisty roads!

Now, in all the highway driving i do - I don't see many GTIs. Why? Because most are in the City; where you DONT use CC.

So, your willing to pay $5,300 for cruise control... yet still have a worse off car. To be honest - I'd even have a Megane 225 Turbo Cup over the GTI. Especially in the Blood Orange with black rims; more looks then the GTI and definetly unique!

Most people that would buy the XR5T (i think) will be people that live in the city. And, surely they are comparing the XR5T vs GTI vs 225T vs WRX. The XR6T doesnt fit here....

***EDIT*** Not to turn this into a Poll - But do you drive an auto omg?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #33
omg

I don't drive an auto, never have, never will. If it helps you understand where I come from I spent the weekend driving 2500kms of back country roads from sydney to queensland (with no aircon btw) for no other reason but to go for a drive. It would be a mistake of monsterous proportions to continue the line of thought you have there

It's not so much that I'm willing to pay 5300 for cruise (trying to break it down to this level is a bit silly really) but when I'm buying a daily driver I have some minimum requirements and I will make a bang for buck judgement on the available cars which meet those requirements. Cruise control is simply one of those requirements and given the current law enforcement practices in australia (and mumblings about things like average speed cameras) I don't think I'm alone in this thought when looking for a car in this class.

I'll cop the reliability issues for the nice suspension in the cheap shopping trolley, I won't cop a lack of cruise in a more expensive car when it's very worthy competitors have it.
Old 20-02-2006, 10:48 PM   #34
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pity it hasn't got cruise avaliable, but it will not stop me from getting one... HID lights would have been nice to have as well but at the price its still great value, and with great build quality... something you can't really say about Falcons : You can't really compare it to an XR6T either since its actually about the same price (with leather and metallic paint) as a basic XR6 N/A.

As far as complaints that its not avaliable well cruise isnt very popular in europe and Ford of Europe decided that it wasn't worthwhile engineering it for the Focus ST (XR5T) ad therefore it's not avaliable here. Ford of Aus would have zero chance of getting it specially engineered for our tiny market.. Although I wonder how difficult it would be to fit the cruise control setup off of a current model S40 T5. Uses same drivetrain, ECU etc as the ST/XR5T.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Pity it hasn't got cruise avaliable, but it will not stop me from getting one... HID lights would have been nice to have as well but at the price its still great value, and with great build quality... something you can't really say about Falcons : You can't really compare it to an XR6T either since its actually about the same price (with leather and metallic paint) as a basic XR6 N/A.

As far as complaints that its not avaliable well cruise isnt very popular in europe and Ford of Europe decided that it wasn't worthwhile engineering it for the Focus ST (XR5T) ad therefore it's not avaliable here. Ford of Aus would have zero chance of getting it specially engineered for our tiny market.. Although I wonder how difficult it would be to fit the cruise control setup off of a current model S40 T5. Uses same drivetrain, ECU etc as the ST/XR5T.
I laugh at your comments about build quality, considering i have a 2 BA's in the driveway, an SX Territory Ghia and a 5 months old LS Focus I have a fair idea about the build quality between them, lets just say the focus has nothing on the 3 Australian built fords when it comes to quality, specially when it comes to paint and panel finish. Also having a fair idea whats going on with Ford there has been alot of critisim about the LS Focus and its finish, so im not the only one in saying that.

:

The XR5 T is going to be a nice car, but for nearly 40 grand and with the few issues like no cruise control its really not the best proposition on paper.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #36
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg
If it helps you understand where I come from I spent the weekend driving 2500kms of back country roads from sydney to queensland (with no aircon btw) for no other reason but to go for a drive.
I rest my case - MOST people do not drive to QLD for no reason

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 20-02-2006, 11:10 PM   #37
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
I laugh at your comments about build quality, considering i have a 2 BA's in the driveway, an SX Territory Ghia and a 5 months old LS Focus I have a fair idea about the build quality between them, lets just say the focus has nothing on the 3 Australian built fords when it comes to quality, specially when it comes to paint and panel finish. Also having a fair idea whats going on with Ford there has been alot of critisim about the LS Focus and its finish, so im not the only one in saying that.

:

The XR5 T is going to be a nice car, but for nearly 40 grand and with the few issues like no cruise control its really not the best proposition on paper.
Read my other post in another Thread. The XR5T is made in Germany... the other LS Focus models are made in South Africa. Surely there are quality differences.

On that note - I hope you know the GOLF GTI COMES FROM SOUTH AFRICA - funny, where the LS Focus model you have comes from....

Old 20-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Read my other post in another Thread. The XR5T is made in Germany... the other LS Focus models are made in South Africa. Surely there are quality differences.

On that note - I hope you know the GOLF GTI COMES FROM SOUTH AFRICA - funny, where the LS Focus model you have comes from....
So are we sure that the XR5 T will come from Germany?? If they do then that will be a step ahead, if they don't then i wouldnt buy one.
Old 20-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #39
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah they are coming from Germany's Saarlouis plant... The number that will be sold here wouldnt be enough for them to modify the plant in South Africa to suit building it there for a start.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #40
omg

Quote:
I rest my case - MOST people do not drive to QLD for no reason
Mt Stroud, thunderbolts, oxley, waterfall way, my lindsay, lions rd, numinbah valley and a stack of others. Maybe saying that there was "no reason" was a little misleading
Old 21-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #41
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Some people will always prefer Falcons and/or bigger cars, that's perfectly fine, nothing wrong with that. If I had a family, I'd go a 6T over the 5T, but considering I'm still single (last time I cehcked anyway) and the Focus just suits my lifestyle, uses less fuel, is cheaper to buy and run and is great bang for your bucks on a tighter budget, it'd be my choice.
Old 21-02-2006, 01:15 AM   #42
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Some people will always prefer Falcons and/or bigger cars, that's perfectly fine, nothing wrong with that. If I had a family, I'd go a 6T over the 5T, but considering I'm still single (last time I cehcked anyway) and the Focus just suits my lifestyle, uses less fuel, is cheaper to buy and run and is great bang for your bucks on a tighter budget, it'd be my choice.
I wonder what lap times would be 6T vs 5T...

Also - Matt, your married to the Focus - which is why it suits your lifestyle

Old 21-02-2006, 02:05 AM   #43
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
I wonder what lap times would be 6T vs 5T...
Depends on the track. The XR6T is appreciably quicker in a straight line, but If it was really twistie with not to many long straights, I'd back the focus any day as the cornering speeds will be far superior. Apparently the new zetec focus managed better cornering speeds than the flagship GT when one of the car mags tested it.....can only imagine how quick the XR5 is gonna be around those same corners....
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #44
xr5chick
Starter Motor

Hey guys,

Just thought i would let you all know that

CRUISE CONTROL is STANDARD on XR5T

I received the information from Ford Direct!

Hope this makes some of you very happy Enjoy -
xr5chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #45
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

After driving my dads auto AU Fairmont for 5 years I can say that I have rarely if ever used the cruise control. Considering almost all my freeway travel is restricted to Westgate/Ringroad adventuring without a single ticket (miraculous considering the japanese tourist bus levels of photographic equipment installed on the things), I can say confidently that cruise control wont be missed, not was it a factor in my decision making process.

My car will be arriving in May. Sea Grey, black leather recaros. Rowwwarrrrrrr.

Only 73 more sleeps!
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #46
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sorry xr5chick but you're dead wrong. It was not even engineered for the ST in Europe. If you got this info from someone at the Melb Motorshow then they were wrong. It was also not fitted to either vehicle at the motorshow, nor the vehicle I drove on the weekend. Cruise control is not an option on the ST or the XR5 Turbo (same vehicle essentially). Apologies for jumping on this but I didn't want another 15 people to start posting in excitement.

NO CRUISE.
Old 21-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #47
krusic
XR5T Pilot

Well, the fact that cruise is not fitted to the vehicle will not stop me from getting one. Should have it organised by the end of the week... Hopefully.

Panther black with leather recaros, should be awesome.

Cheers,

Steve
krusic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #48
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, since everyone is going to buying one. I'm going to buy one too. Performace Blue with cloth seats.

Cheers,

Adam
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #49
xr5chick
Starter Motor

I am SORRY zetec,
You are WRONG AGAIN???
I have first hand knowledge that they ARE/HAVE CRUISE CONTROL!!
As i have driven one also and NO it was not at the Melbourne Motor Show as well as work with them everyday!!!
Unlucky!!!
So to put you all to rest and to asure you that the
Focus XR5T will have Cruise Control as STANDARD I have attached a pic of the centre of the dash - If you look to the right hand side you will see the steering column stalk with the button for CRUISE saying Set/Reset...

Zetec
Are you now going to tell me that it is a 4 cyl not a 5 cyl :Reverend: hahaha

Apologies for jumping on this but I didn't want another 15 people to start posting about there disappointment of Cruise..

Just Keep on CRUISING !!! :eclipsee_
xr5chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #50
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr5chick
I am SORRY zetec,
You are WRONG AGAIN???
I have first hand knowledge that they ARE/HAVE CRUISE CONTROL!!
As i have driven one also and NO it was not at the Melbourne Motor Show as well as work with them everyday!!!
Unlucky!!!
So to put you all to rest and to asure you that the
Focus XR5T will have Cruise Control as STANDARD I have attached a pic of the centre of the dash - If you look to the right hand side you will see the steering column stalk with the button for CRUISE saying Set/Reset...

Zetec
Are you now going to tell me that it is a 4 cyl not a 5 cyl :Reverend: hahaha

Apologies for jumping on this but I didn't want another 15 people to start posting about there disappointment of Cruise..

Just Keep on CRUISING !!! :eclipsee_
Erm, that pic you posted is of the trip computer interface - you do realise that on Focus models with cruise control that the cruise control is controlled via buttons on the steering wheel...and that those buttons on the indicator stalk are for the trip computer
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #51
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yeah sorry to say it but I have to agree with Lagom in that it's the trip computer stalk and unfortunately it's not a cruise stalk. If your photo said CRUISE anywhere, I'd eat my shorts.

Ford also does not use a stalk-operated cruise control module in really any of it's current models, that's more of a Japanese manufacturer or even a Holden trait.

Anyway, let's just not turn this into a fight, we, obviously can't solve it here so I'll back down here and just wait until launch cars are sitting at Dealers for confirmation, let's just all get along and be happy that the XR5 T is still such a beast, cruise or not!!!!!
Old 21-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #52
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Classic XR5 Chick..

Sorry but your wrong, lol ИИИИ stirrer.

Plus ZETEC is ford, so i think he would know.
Old 21-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #53
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I am not Ford nor do I represent them.

I have been following the car closely since launch in Europe, there is nothing on cruise ANYWHERE in the UK on Ford's website, I learnt at Motorshow that cruise is not available and I have now driven one without it. I will be very happy if cruise is standard but everything I have been told and seen so far leads the other direction.

Still won't stop me wanting one!

XR5 chick, welcome anyway, apologies for the other than warm welcome but we're a passionate bunch as you can see!!!!! I take it you're pretty keen on one?
Old 22-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #54
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

after having the 4 speed auto in the XR6T i'm looking forward to 'driving' the XR5T so cruise whilst would be a nice luxury, i'll survive without...

It just better impress me as much as it has Zetec!
Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #55
lincoln
Blinded

Visiting a Ford dealer in the UK recently, apparently all 2006 Focus will have cruise as an option. I didn't check on the ST, but until the 06 range, you could only get cruise on the Ghia as standard fitment and you couldn't option it on any other model (not even the more expensive Titanium model). I'll be looking into the ST more seriously for myself in around 6 months, so will keep you posted.

Personally, I don't think it's a computer issue with this Focus (as it was in the previous model), but more of a lack of demand thing... in the UK anyway. I drove a top of the line Mark IV Golf V5 the other day and it had a cassette deck and no cruise... they really do spec some of their cars quite low here.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #56
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yeah stereos aren't that huge over in Europe, they're more of an optional thing rather than a compulsory 4 speaker CD etc like with Aussie cars.

Again, we shouldn't need cruise control in Australia, they don't need it in Europe like we do here. Interesting that it's standard on all but CL here, even then it's still an option at least. Will have to wait to see with the XR5.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #57
lincoln
Blinded

Well it did have a 6 disc changer, I was just stunned to see a cassette deck in such an expensive car!

I use cruise control in the UK, but the roads are often so congested that it can be frustrating to use an underdeveloped system (Vectra is awful in this way).
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post