Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > F6 Owners Club of Australia

Old 17-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Who took the upgraded brakes, how much and why?

For those who bought their F6 new, who optioned up the brakes and why. As they are currently offered as a $4500 option would it be worth looking around for the same brakes from an outside supplier? What other options did you take.

Old 18-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Hi,
$4500 for the 6/4 pot brembos? Thats still cheap as they are more like $6+ aren't they?

Anyways, never bought a car brand new but I could probably say this... If you have the standard 4 pot front brembos and PBR rear brakes, this should do the job anyhow. I see it coming into luxury and looks paying that extra $$$.

So personally I wouldn't even bother. Get a sunroof & custom leather done to the F6 which equates to that anyways and your much better off IMO...

Oz,
Old 19-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks NFORCD, I never thought of a roof and I look like optioning the leather anyhoo. Grand idea Watson!
Old 19-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Thanks NFORCD, I never thought of a roof and I look like optioning the leather anyhoo. Grand idea Watson!
Well believe me the 4 pot Brembos (which when we all brake, we use like 80-90% of our front brakes only anyhow) they do more than the job. As I have been told, apparently the 4pot brembos are better than the 6pot, cant remember the reason to this but im sure someone will know the answer to this?

Either way with the Leather, wouldn't bother spending $2500+ for factory crap like that when you can get your custom leather interior with "F6 310" stitching along with it or something...

Anyways, goodluck with it all...
Old 20-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reputable brake places will tell you the 4 piston front is a better caliper.

Because it is smaller, it is a stiffer unit and can give better braking and feel for road use. Plus with decent pads, it should be all you ever need on a street car.

6 piston are technically better for the track as the bigger pad gives better heat dissipation and will last longer before cooking themselves.

Biggest problem with the 4/1 piston setup though, is they dont look as good. The 6/4 setup look nice and meaty under the FPV rims. Which is why I tossed the 4 piston setup and put some 6's on.
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Yeh that sounds about right, thanks for clearing it up...

Do agree with the whole looks thing, which is why I would probably leave the front brembos as 4 but upgrade the rears to suit it (if I ever have spare cash lying around)...
Old 21-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, I have aalso PM'd SpoolMan and he said his F6 brakes were good enough for street work. I will have to contact the dealer regarding the roof now as I don't think it was part of the original options.
Old 21-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Thanks guys, I have aalso PM'd SpoolMan and he said his F6 brakes were good enough for street work. I will have to contact the dealer regarding the roof now as I don't think it was part of the original options.
Unfortunately there is no option for roof from factory. But Ford will say send it to Prestige sunroofs. Which almost everyone (including myself) will say the same thing. Good luck and let us know how u go with it all and be sure to put some photos up ;)
Old 22-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, I found a thread about a member who had an install at Prestige Wetheril Park Sydney in 2008 and he seemed very happy. I will send him a PM when he deletes some out of his inbox to see how it goes nowadays.
Old 18-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 pots are OK for normal street use but they're hopeless if you intend doing track days at places like QR or Barbagello.

Doing Sprints at QR I wore out the pads AND ROTORS of 4 pots on my F6 at 24,000 kms. Don't forget, these are damned quick cars and you're up around two tonnes with driver and tank of fuel.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
4 pots are OK for normal street use but they're hopeless if you intend doing track days at places like QR or Barbagello.

Doing Sprints at QR I wore out the pads AND ROTORS of 4 pots on my F6 at 24,000 kms. Don't forget, these are damned quick cars and you're up around two tonnes with driver and tank of fuel.
I would have thought that given reasonable track time, 24k is a good life span for pads & rotors
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
.BLKPHN.
Starter Motor

do 6 pot front and 2 pot back brembos calipars go with the dba4000 i think it is will they work together or is it better to just get the brembo rotors aswell??
Old 16-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
.BLKPHN.
Starter Motor

and also wats a good price for second hand brake package like 6 on front and 4 on back with rotors etc