Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #31
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Fence price

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
Going through this as well now, the house I’ve bought has a 1.2m chain mesh fence on all 3 sides. 4 neighbours to try and get over the line.

Has to be cyclone rated, so it’s fully welded heavy duty posts and rails, so a tentative quote is $250 per metre!
Cyclones arent an issue where i live, and by over the line youre talking about price point, not property boundaries yeah? With fences and boundaries and all that stuff 25 odd years ago my parents had to go legal on our neighbour at the time who owned the vacant block beside because his planned house was larger then the block and tried to use a cheap lawyer to impose on the land on the family home. It was only a case until it got laughed out of court. Forcing the demo of a house within its boundrys thats been fine and approved for however long is just laughable.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #32
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1.2m x 3 sides = 3.6m

3.6m x $250 = New fencing for under a grand, sweet !

ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #33
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Cyclones arent an issue where i live, and by over the line youre talking about price point, not property boundaries yeah? With fences and boundaries and all that stuff 25 odd years ago my parents had to go legal on our neighbour at the time who owned the vacant block beside because his planned house was larger then the block and tried to use a cheap lawyer to impose on the land on the family home. It was only a case until it got laughed out of court. Forcing the demo of a house within its boundrys thats been fine and approved for however long is just laughable.
Yeah, price, as in trying to get everyone on the same page as me so I don’t have to fork out what will be a very large sum of money. I’m happy to pay half, and to clear the old fence and shrubs first to reduce costs. I’m worried if there’s a reason why my house never got a decent fence in 30+ years... maybe it was the previous owner that was the problem!
Old 13-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #34
Kicking back

My neighbor just got back to me today with her first quote. Just shy of 4500 including tip fees. Going 50/50 i could work with that, not super happy making, but i could work with that. My neighbor said yeah nah not happening for that price. So old leany the rustic fence remains until further quote action.
Old 13-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #35
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I note the "per metre ex yard, no concrete, no nails, delivery extra" price at Rouse Hill is $28.50+

Shame your neighbour can't pay you to put the fence up. $1400 in materials and quick-set, good time of year to advertise free firewood and kindling. Yes, the hourly rate would look a bit rubbish but you'd be getting a lovely new fence from it. Better working weather than midsummer, too.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #36
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I note the "per metre ex yard, no concrete, no nails, delivery extra" price at Rouse Hill is $28.50+

Shame your neighbour can't pay you to put the fence up. $1400 in materials and quick-set, good time of year to advertise free firewood and kindling. Yes, the hourly rate would look a bit rubbish but you'd be getting a lovely new fence from it. Better working weather than midsummer, too.
The main issue is neither of us want to go colourbond privacy fence. The maybe would be if you can get a 4 foot colourbond but untreated 4 or 5 foot non overlapped wood is the preferred. Makes both yards look bigger (kind of like shaving your pubes.....). I possibly could give it a crack, i have spirit levels and builders string and a shovel, but im really time poor due to work commitments. Its bad enough digging trenches at work on the odd ocasion i do, so im not overly keen to be doing that stuff in my own time, thats why im happy to pay someone to do it in their work time.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #37
Kicking back

Been in discussions with my neighbor. She has got 3 more quotes. All around 4k plus or minus a bit. To knock a bit of that down she knows 2 people interested in the old untreated wood, aparently its hardwood. So now she is just seeing who is keener and will take it down for the wood. Worst case her son, the bloke who rents my granny flat and myself should be able to get it down in a couple of hours. Half the work is already done as its falling down anyways. Atleast my neighbor is on the same page as me when i say the cheapest quote isnt always the best. And also the most expensive can often be a contractor who priced high to not get the job because theyre busy and dont want the job, or simply just dodgy bastards attempting a cash grab. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, but word of mouth is what i find the best way. With the cheap quotes, same thing. Maybe its a start up company who need the work and want the word of mouth recomendations, but the risk of cheap and nasty is still there. One trick we use at work to keep wholesalers honest is email a quote request to more then 1 supplier and make it obvious, create some competition. In the same token clients often do the same to us to keep things honest. One other thing is clients often, and i dont think this is completely ethical, send my work competitors quotes and are looking for us to undercut them. If we simply cant because we tend not to cheap out on materials, we say our price but we cant beat that. And when the job done isnt up to scratch, dont rubbish anybody, but wait for the callouts to fix it. So yes the client loses out in the long run, but its their choice on the original quote. I dont want to be that guy.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #38
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Are you sure she’s not a quote hoarder, as in someone that gets multiple quotes, does nothing while they all get stale, then starts up the whole process again?

All the while either subconsciously hoping or covertly scheming for the other party to crack it and just wear the job, meaning the work is (practically) unable to be charged back.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
(kind of like shaving your pubes.....). I possibly could give it a crack, i have spirit levels and builders string and a shovel.
I read it like this.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #40
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Sharp shovel!
This user likes this post:
Old 02-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #41
Kicking back

Quote:
Are you sure she’s not a quote hoarder, as in someone that gets multiple quotes, does nothing while they all get stale, then starts up the whole process again?

All the while either subconsciously hoping or covertly scheming for the other party to crack it and just wear the job, meaning the work is (practically) unable to be charged back.
Nah shes alright, she speaks to my mum and stuff. Im not concerended any dodgy business is going down.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #42
hayseed

Quote:
My neighbor just got back to me today with her first quote. Just shy of 4500 including tip fees. Going 50/50 i could work with that, not super happy making, but i could work with that. My neighbor said yeah nah not happening for that price. So old leany the rustic fence remains until further quote action.
I'm tipping Nana doesn't have the Dough.....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #43
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I'm tipping Nana doesn't have the Dough.....
Correct, but the lady next door is also getting her back fence done too, so she is up for almost double i am. Its not like its an unexpected expense though. Ive owned my house for 7 years and the whole time the fence im getting replaced has been in poor shape.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #44
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Crowdfund it. Tell people you want to adopt a rescue llama with Asperger's, but need to fix the fences first, and seek small donations from lots of people on the window washer principle: "A few cents for my new fence, makes me calmer 'bout my drama llama."
Old 03-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #45
Kicking back

Quote:
Crowdfund it. Tell people you want to adopt a rescue llama with Asperger's, but need to fix the fences first, and seek small donations from lots of people on the window washer principle: "A few cents for my new fence, makes me calmer 'bout my drama llama."
Im just going to pay the lot for my part of the fence then work the rest out over a few weeks with next door. I dont care if i have to wait a few weeks to get paid back. Im not a charity per say, but being a semi decent neighbor i dont have too much of an issue with.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #46
Kicking back

Just confirmed the quote we are going with. Im not paying the lot and getting reimbursed as the work cant be done untill the end of next month. Not too unhappy about the quote really. It was the one guy my neighbor has heard positive comments about from 3 people. It was the only one on carbon paper. So im thinking its not a young bloke, but if he is a 1 man show, that often means a more honest job. So for 42m of 1800 wood not lapped and capped total $3600. Thats including removal. So im in it for $1800. Not terrible i guess. Better then being in it for $2250 which was the expensive quote. The removal is $300 cheaper then the next best quote but the new fence is a touch more. If we do get someone who wants the fire wood it saves $688 off the quote also. The wheels are finally turning.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #47
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$86/m isn't too bad. Hopefully it goes up straight (unlike my mates side fence...).
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #48
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
$86/m isn't too bad. Hopefully it goes up straight (unlike my mates side fence...).
Yes, well thats why i agreed to word of mouth on the one hand written quote. Hopefully this bloke is old school enough to know that just because the bubble on the spirit level is touching a line but still technically in between the lines, doesnt mean level. The young blokes i work with always blame their levels but never flip them to test if the level is true when they do a **** job. Its not rocket surgery, its just taking a bit of pride in your work. Maybe not so much for a fencer who is only in it for the one off, as fences typically last a long time. In my trade, a quality job creates repeat business, repeat business creates good client relationships, and good client relationships mean i get invited to lunch on occasion. So good work = free lunch.
Old 23-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #49
Kicking back

Demoed half the old fence today. My neighbors son prior was going to borrow a chainsaw, but came over to borrow my circ saw. So i gave him a hand and the fence came down easier then i thought, and i thought it would be easy. We left the rear section up because if my neighbors daughter brings her dog around. We have someone who is taking the old wood so that and taking down the fence knocks some money off the original quote. The fence line is obvious as my block is 3 inches higher then next door.
Old 24-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #50
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

So... Is it done and dusted?
Old 24-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #51
Kicking back

Friday it gets installed.
Old 26-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #52
Kicking back

So the guy doing the fence got my neighbors back fence done today (30m) and half my side fence done (42m total). He will knock the rest out tomorrow morning. He had a young bloke running gear, but he was doing all the work. Not that i was expecting a poor job, but he is doing an excellent job. Has put in the effort on every post to make sure its dug in 600, none of the hit a rock at 400 then cut the post down business. Has all the nice gear. Everything is straight as an arrow. The bloke isnt a full time fencer either. His 'real' job is in the office for a transport company, but thats 4 days on 4 days off, so for 2 off days he builds fences. The fence is a beast compared to the 2 rail 5 footer that was removed. 3 rails, 6 foot and every post, rail and pailing is way thicker. So considering his quote was $1500 cheaper then the other 2 from fencing companies, im really happy with this guys work so far. Considering he has done all my posts already and most the rails, i cant see the rest being of a lower standard whilst he finishes and im at work tomorrow.