Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
Mondaveo

Default Mk4 - mudflaps that fit the side skirts

Hi folks, I've seen several threads and I gather Ford never made moulded mud spats that fit with the sports body kit. However, last night I came across this:

SPLASH GUARDS FOR 2007-2012 FORD MONDEO MK4 W/ SIDE SKIRT SPORT MUD FLAP FLAPS
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SPLASH-GU...wAAOxyeR9TJsuV

I'm tempted to order a set to try on my car -notwithstanding that the listing says they don't fit the wagon, the front ones at least should fit the same regardless of body style, surely? Anyone able to confirm for me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_35.JPG (19.4 KB, 24 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Mk4 - mudflaps that fit the side skirts

The fronts should indeed fit fine as the Ford part numbers are the same for sedan and wagon.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
Mondaveo

I ordered the Chinese mudflaps and they arrived just before Christmas, but I'm just now looking at how they'll fit on the car.

As expected the rear pair are no good to me but the fronts have a moulded curve that look like they'll mate with the sports skirt. They came with a bag of screws, and the front flaps have a pair of screw holes that do not match with the locations of the existing retaining fittings in the wheel well.

Attachment 90358

I fought my way through the two push clips that hold the original mini mud spat/skirt end cap before realising that the Chinese flaps are apparently intended to fit over the original pieces.

Attachment 90359

2016-01-02 22.07.03.jpg

See that indent in the big flap? With the mini-spat removed, the fitting to the inside of the wheel well should be flat. But the big flap has ample space for the mini-spat to fit inside of it. The lower screw hole would drill into the mini-spat and hopefully into the negative space in the end of the skirt.

2016-01-02 22.08.15.jpg

Attachment 90365

The fit to the body panel with the mini-spat inside it is a bit gappy at the top of the skirt. There is also a gap at the top of the new mud flap where it has a squared-off edge that doesn't wrap around the rolled edge of the wheel arch. The top of the flap is also not compatible with the lowest push clip holding the wheel well liner. The screw hole seems to be positioned for drilling into the metal of the wheel arch - not sure I want to do that.

I think I can get a better fit by leaving the mini-spat out, and drilling holes in the new flap to re-use the two original push clips, but I'm not sure how I can make the top of the flap fit more closely with the rolled wheel arch edge and also accept the retainer for the lining...

Quote:

Last edited by Mondaveo; 18-01-2016 at 03:40 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Hi folks, I've seen several threads and I gather Ford never made moulded mud spats that fit with the sports body kit. However, last night I came across this:

SPLASH GUARDS FOR 2007-2012 FORD MONDEO MK4 W/ SIDE SKIRT SPORT MUD FLAP FLAPS
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SPLASH-GU...wAAOxyeR9TJsuV

I'm tempted to order a set to try on my car -notwithstanding that the listing says they don't fit the wagon, the front ones at least should fit the same regardless of body style, surely? Anyone able to confirm for me?
Thanks for finding those.

Might fit a set as the roads around here have a bit of construction dirt on them and am getting sick of the wash up from the tires along the sides of the car after a light shower.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Mondaveo

You're welcome

Still haven't fitted mine - a combination of time, and balking at drilling the car. I'm thinking though that I'll modify the new flaps to fit the existing holes using the original (or possibly renewed) plastic retainers.

Quote:
Old 18-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Mondaveo

So here is how I ultimately fitted the (front pair) mudflaps. I discarded the screws they came with, and went with my thought-bubble to drill two holes in the mud flap to align with the existing retainers in the wheel arch.

The first hole near the middle of the mudflap lines up with the original mini-spat which is held on with a (hard to remove) "Christmas tree"-type push clip from the front. The replacement item from Repco is a TF5 clip, but I used a TF11 for the longer stem, trimmed down a bit to fit and tapped into place with a hammer. The mini-spat is also held by a push rivet from underneath but you can leave that in place.

The wheel arch liner is held in place by (removable and reusable) buckle-type push clips and the mudflap covers one of these at the top, so I drilled a hole there, removed the clip and reinserted it through the mudflap. I also had to cut a notch to fit around another of these clips deeper inside the wheel well that occluded with the mudflap edge.

I had to eyeball the drill points, and it took a bit of trial and error to get the right spots. I used a spade drill bit to bore out the holes so the retaining clips would be semi-neatly countersunk. The fit of the mudflap against the car body is not perfectly flush, but it's better than I thought it would be, and the hold from those two clips seems solid.

Before:
2016-01-18 10.46.08_800x600.jpg

After:
2016-01-18 10.47.11_800x600.jpg 2016-01-18 10.49.25_800x600.jpg

We'll see if I lose any of them on my upcoming 800km round trip to Dubbo

Quote:
This user likes this post: