Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #61
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Bob Lutz - ":Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap.”

Whether autonomous and electric vehicles become mainstream in 10, 20 or 30 years does not really matter. It will happen one day in the future I'm sure.

I estimate the average member on these forums (over 118,000 active or not) to be between 35 - 50 years of age.

Just feel privilaged that you are one of the last generations to have experienced the pleasure and freedom of driving a car as we know it.

Our younger sons and daughters or their children may never.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #62
nstg8a

Default Re: Bob Lutz - ":Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap.”

I doubt the world will last 50 years as we know it anyway.

More likely to see a book of Eli style future than an I robot one.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #63
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
If the Future holds for us, the Autonomous Electric Vehicle. What will the State and Federal Governments would do, for the loss of Revenue from the Speed Cameras.
Now that would be a crying shame. Wouldn't it.
I want to know where all this electricity is coming from to charge these things, when we can't even keep the lights on in summer.

Last edited by roKWiz; 18-11-2017 at 05:31 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #64
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I want to know where all this electricity is coming from to charge these things, when we can't even keep the lights on in summer.
Whether we like it or not, eventually Australia will have to go nuclear.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #65
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Whether we like it or not, eventually Australia will have to go nuclear.
Nuclear, I think I said this before somewhere... nice when its working but when it goes wrong it goes wrong big time.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #66
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
http://www.smh.com.au/business/energ...29-gyrsvj.html

DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #67
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
I've got a relative who drives autonomous trucks for Rio. Has done for a few years.
Why is he driving an autonomous truck? Because Rio don't trust them yet. On an enclosed mine site mind you.

The Vic government want these out with the public on the road?
A bit soon I think.
Yeah mate - they’ve (RIO) been trying to do the same with their 2km/30000 ton trains for over ten years.......still can’t figure it out. Last figure I heard was they’ve spent well over a billion dollars trying to sort it and still having problems.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #68
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Yeah mate - they’ve (RIO) been trying to do the same with their 2km/30000 ton trains for over ten years.......still can’t figure it out. Last figure I heard was they’ve spent well over a billion dollars trying to sort it and still having problems.
The other interesting point about the Autonomous Vehicle, is that the Vehicles are guided by GPS Satellites. If the Sun lets off some Solar Flares in space. This could disrupt or damage the Satellites and interfere with the GPS Transmissions. This would shut down the network and render the Cars / Trucks useless.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2017, 11:40 PM   #69
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I originally came here thinking Bob might be related to Jeff Lutz
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #70
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
The other interesting point about the Autonomous Vehicle, is that the Vehicles are guided by GPS Satellites. If the Sun lets off some Solar Flares in space. This could disrupt or damage the Satellites and interfere with the GPS Transmissions. This would shut down the network and render the Cars / Trucks useless.
Well then... Better inform Kim Jong Un that his nuclear intercontinental missiles that are GPS guided could lose satellite guidance, and land in his own backyard.

Article about North Korea using China's satellites to guide its missiles;

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the...missiles-20810
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #71
j.l.c
Starter Motor

I was at an infrastructure conference this week for the future development of Sydney.

One interesting projection I heard from some consultants there was that by 2030 only 6% of vehicles on the road globally will be electric.

Driverless vehicles I dare say will be even further behind.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
j.l.c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #72
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Bob Lutz, go play golf with ya corparate mates, you've retired now.. And give up drinking alcohol please, you are scaring me lol..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #73
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Well then... Better inform Kim Jong Un that his nuclear intercontinental missiles that are GPS guided could lose satellite guidance, and land in his own backyard.

Article about North Korea using China's satellites to guide its missiles;

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the...missiles-20810
He is right but for a different reason. Satellite signals are quite regularly blocked by mother nature.

We use satellites a lot in television and have for decades, they are not as reliable as you might think.
There's good reason two of Australia's major uplink sites are at opposite sides of the country. - the weather.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #74
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Bob's finally realised that it not the 1970s anymore and that everyone
has moved on from the vehicles he helped bring to market...

So now he blowing brain farts about the future, as if he'll remember what
he said in five or ten years time, he'll be in the nursing home chasing old ducks..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #75
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering most brands, especially premium ones sell their cars based on the driving experience - it's performance, handling etc, I don't see Bob Lutz's vision coming to fruition any time soon. Any government that legislates existing cars off the road and therefore making them worthless overnight will not be in government for the next term - even if they introduce a buyback scheme.

This supposed utopia - merely gives the large transport companies the upper hand and they will hold the public to ransom once they dominate the market
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post